PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading motor oil grade?

Mr Paddle.Shift
01-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Hey all,

Something has been bugging me for a while now. Well, I am running 5w30 BMW oil in my car right now. In fact, it has always been that way even after the SC install. I have since tracked my car thrice. On the third event, I have the oil temperature gauge to monitor and the temperature peaked at 120deg Cel (Greddy gauge with SI units only). So roughly 248F.

My worry is the highest temperature in which Castrol tested on the 5w30 grade before the oil broke down. I did in fact email Castrol and still waiting for a reply. I think it was Dan who told me that Stuka's M3 reached in the 240F region for the oil temp. But the M3 was running 10w60.

So will upgrading my current grade to 5w40 or even 10w60 help at all? ;)

Roadstergal
01-13-2004, 02:42 AM
As I understand it, the megathick oil on thoe high-revvin' Ms is to keep the oil flowing into the bits it's supposed to lubricate and to keep the oil from being beaten to a froth? So the heavier oil would help keep you lubricated if you're hitting the high temps...

It's a good question, whether the 10W60 has a higher temp tolerance. <a href=http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27277>This thread suggests that it does</a>. I know Vance saw over 250 degrees in the '01 M roadster with as yet no negaitive consequences...

blee
01-13-2004, 10:20 AM
Someone once told me that the 10W60 oil helps to keep all of the double VANOS bits lubricated. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a much thinner oil in the engine.

Then again, my engine uses something like 20W50, and it doesn't have any special tricks up its sleeve. :dunno:

Mr Paddle.Shift
01-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. :)

I have yet to hear back from Castrol. But having spoken to a few techs, they suggested trying out 10w60 for one track event and see what happen.

EDIT:

Castrol's Reply

We have developed and manufacture oils for a number of customers under their brand. The companies and the specifics of their oils is confidential information that we cannot share.

To receive Typical Inspection Data for the product, please contact BMW at 1-800-831-1117.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Mr Paddle.Shift
01-14-2004, 04:49 PM
BMW's Reply

Dear Mr. Seah:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding the oil for your 2001 325i. I hope your BMW is serving you well. Regrettably, I cannot provide you with the information you are requesting from this location. Please contact the service manager at your authorized BMW center who is best equipped to address this matter.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Thank you for choosing BMW.

Sincerel

Tricia Young
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

So I called my service manager to discuss this, we have decided to buy a couple laboratory equipments and white lab coats. We have each decided to take a 2-month leave to work on this. Then present and submit the results to Castrol and BMW instead. :roll: :roll:

Rob
01-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Have you tried asking this on Bimmerforums? There are a few guys over there that seem to really understand oil and its characteristics. They mostly push amsoil, but the concepts really shouldn't be restricted to a brand.

Just a thought.