PDA

View Full Version : My car read -2F this morning.

FC
01-09-2004, 09:15 AM
It actually was tougher than normal to move through the gears the first few minutes. Of course, having no garage doesn't help.

bren
01-09-2004, 09:18 AM
How was the heater? :P

zach
01-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Mine read 0 F. All of the LCDs were screwed up too. They kind of faded from one display to another when I changed the radio station or changed a setting on the OBC. Very interesting (and cold).

kognito
01-09-2004, 10:45 AM
11 degrees outside here this morning.

My garage (and car) were 53 degrees :twisted:

FC
01-09-2004, 10:47 AM
How was the heater? :P

It warmed me up, but thankfully my windshield was ice-free. :twisted:

Heated seats are key on a day like this.

TD
01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Mine read 0 F. All of the LCDs were screwed up too. They kind of faded from one display to another when I changed the radio station or changed a setting on the OBC. Very interesting (and cold).

I didn't even drive my car today. Driving home last night was enough.

My car does not like the cold at all. My shifter was very difficult to engage, the engine sounded like a John Deere and everything seemed to creak and rattle (when I normally don't have much in the line of creaks and rattles at all).

And the UUC shift knob is rather cold.

lemming
01-09-2004, 12:08 PM

My car does not like the cold at all. My shifter was very difficult to engage, the engine sounded like a John Deere and everything seemed to creak and rattle (when I normally don't have much in the line of creaks and rattles at all).

I would just like to add here, dear sir, that modern porsches have heat, but it is a far crankier proposition to drive an aircooled one in weather like boston has today (this week!). 11F is the "high" with windchill making it more like 4 below.

i love it.

:smile:

(it means if they aren't getting snow, they're making it!)

zach
01-09-2004, 12:12 PM

Yes, the car sounds funny and it's nearly impossible to shift. Once the car warms up, it does fine.

ARCHER
01-09-2004, 01:38 PM

Yes, the car sounds funny and it's nearly impossible to shift. Once the car warms up, it does fine.

Add me to that list. Our garage is heated so the initial drive of the day is never a problem. But after sitting at work, getting cold-soaked in -1º temps, my car felt and sounded rather John Deereish as well.

nate
01-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't mind having some humidity back, but can't really complain about the temperature.

Changed the brake pads today in shorts and a T-shirt, its 62F. It is supposed to be cold tonight though, mid 30s...

FC
01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Changed the brake pads today in shorts and a T-shirt, its 62F.

I don't like you. :mad:

The HACK
01-09-2004, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't mind having some humidity back, but can't really complain about the temperature.

Changed the brake pads today in shorts and a T-shirt, its 62F. It is supposed to be cold tonight though, mid 30s...

Damn that is the tough life. I had to turn on the AC yesterday going to lunch, it was reading in the mid 80s here (although I think it's just because the car's been sitting under the sun for half the day).

It's suppose to dip down to the fifties tonight. Time to put on a tee-shirt tonight when I go to sleep.

Rob
01-12-2004, 03:07 PM
82 at my house yesterday. Washed the car shirtless in shorts. :cool:

Lots of fog this morning though - it was still only around 58 when I got to the office. The sun is out now, so I am sure it's much warmer.

When I lived in Chicago, I used to ask myself every winter "why do I choose to live in a climate like this." Now I don't.

TD
01-12-2004, 03:15 PM

BTW, it's probably a good idea to check your oil level again.

I checked mine last night and I had dropped a quart again.

It's much quieter at stone cold startup with a proper amount of oil.

And it's supposed to get DAMN cold again by later in the week.

zach
01-12-2004, 03:40 PM

BTW, it's probably a good idea to check your oil level again.

I checked mine last night and I had dropped a quart again.

It's much quieter at stone cold startup with a proper amount of oil.

Checked it yesterday. It's fine.

clyde
01-12-2004, 03:47 PM

The NWS ahs already issued a Severe Weather Alert for the anticipated storm Wednesday night/Thursday precceding the cold front.
Only calling for "several inches" so far...

JST
01-12-2004, 03:49 PM

The NWS ahs already issued a Severe Weather Alert for the anticipated storm Wednesday night/Thursday precceding the cold front.

Hmm. Too bad about this business trip to Puerto Rico I've got this week. :cool:

blee
01-12-2004, 04:44 PM

Hmm. Too bad about this business trip to Puerto Rico I've got this week. :cool:

Business trip.

What was that about lawyers just under your avatar?

dan
01-12-2004, 06:21 PM
should be in the 70s here all this week

FC
01-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Well, it was -7F this morning. Shifting was difficult and the car made noises akin to a haunted house.

clyde
01-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Well, it was -7F this morning. Shifting was difficult and the car made noises akin to a haunted house.

Why do you people live in places like that? :dunno: :?

zach
01-14-2004, 09:51 AM

-4 here. I ask myself this all the time.

TD
01-14-2004, 09:58 AM

I was cold enough here this morning and it was, what, +25F.

FC
01-14-2004, 10:14 AM

Well, it is far below the average temperatures, low enough to warrant posting about it.

OT: TD, I always laugh when I see your avatar. I just can't help it. Where did you find it anyway?

TD
01-14-2004, 10:18 AM
OT: TD, I always laugh when I see your avatar. I just can't help it. Where did you find it anyway?

Originally, I found it through a Google image search on "curmudgeon". I saved it down and have used it intermittently since. At one point, jpgurl made up a couple of cool avatars using it (un-animated) but they are Fest-specific and also seem to fire up the TD-haters. I'll dig them up and post them later.

clyde
01-14-2004, 11:14 AM

Same. At least I'm trying to leave. :D

OTOH, Friday night, we walked 6 or 7 blocks to/from dinner in Detroit and it was 2F but didn't feel that cold. :dunno: