PDA

View Full Version : I got a Z4 loaner car today

bren
01-08-2004, 09:36 PM
I took the E46 in for an annual oil service and for a clicking sound when lowering the windows (which I suspect to be the window regulators going bad.) Of course the windows were on their best behavior, and the dealer was "unable to duplicate the noise." :evil:

So anyway, the Z4......

The car was a 2.5, black/tan with a black top, non-Sport, and of course Steptronic. Unfortunately, I was only able to drive 20 some highway miles to and from work with no twisty stuff to really test it out. And, as some of you may have read elsewhere the heater was not working on my ride to work so I wasn’t able to pay as much attention to the driving dynamics as I would have liked; it’s hard to enjoy the drive when you are shivering and your fingertips are numb.

When I first got in the car I felt very claustrophobic. I realized pretty quickly that the issue wasn’t due to a lack of interior space, but the small(ish) window sizes. Outward visibility isn’t all that great. Between the small windows and the large blind-spots created by the convertible top there isn’t much room left to see out. I didn’t particularly like looking out over that enormous hood either; it was really imposing. I was able to get quite comfortable behind the wheel, flat, slippery, ‘ette seats not withstanding.

Performance of the 2.5L with Step is not especially breathtaking, but we all know that. The steering response, on the other hand, felt great. The car seemed much lighter and far more tossable than the E46, I’m sure the smaller overall dimensions of the Z4 were a large contributor to this. The suspension on the non-sp is rather firm, I am curious to see how it compares with the sport suspension. I took several on/off ramps at speed and cornering response is commendable with minimal body roll. I would really like to run one of these at an autox.

One thing that I totally disliked was the engine subwoofer/noisemaker thingy; it almost sounds like the muffler has a hole it in…very annoying. Overall the car wasn’t bad, definitely more fun than the 325i they usually hand out, if for no other reason than the fact that it is far from my daily driver, but nothing like the SMG M3 that I got a ride in upon my return to the dealer (no I didn’t get to drive it.) Now that was something!

The HACK
01-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Told you. The Sports suspension on the Z4 is as stiff as my car with the Schnitzer sports springs and bilstein shocks. Heck, the Z4 felt more stiff than Stuka's now defunct E46 M3. :awe:

JST
01-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Told you. The Sports suspension on the Z4 is as stiff as my car with the Schnitzer sports springs and bilstein shocks. Heck, the Z4 felt more stiff than Stuka's now defunct E46 M3. :awe:

Agreed. The Z4 with Sport is very stiff, stiffer than the M3.

Plaz
01-08-2004, 11:46 PM
The steering response, on the other hand, felt great. The car seemed much lighter and far more tossable than the E46, I’m sure the smaller overall dimensions of the Z4 were a large contributor to this. The suspension on the non-sp is rather firm, I am curious to see how it compares with the sport suspension. I took several on/off ramps at speed and cornering response is commendable with minimal body roll. I would really like to run one of these at an autox.

One thing that I totally disliked was the engine subwoofer/noisemaker thingy; it almost sounds like the muffler has a hole it in…very annoying. Overall the car wasn’t bad, definitely more fun than the 325i they usually hand out, if for no other reason than the fact that it is far from my daily driver, but nothing like the SMG M3 that I got a ride in upon my return to the dealer (no I didn’t get to drive it.) Now that was something!

I imagine the good dynamics and minimal body roll also have a great deal to do with the lower center of gravity of the car. I wish the E46 had a lower center of gravity... when I first got this car, I sort of felt like I was driving at SUV height, having come from a relatively low Mazda MX-6.

I thought only the 3.0 Z4's had the engine noise port. :dunno:

bren
01-09-2004, 08:48 AM
I wasn't sure about this....but if it didn't have it, I can't imagine what it must sound like with it. I guess the combination of the soft top and sitting so close to the rear of the car could be to blame for the noise.

hfh330i
01-09-2004, 10:28 AM
I drove both a Z4 and a 330i at the Precision Driving event that BMW put on here in Houston. The Z4's performance (3.0 smg) was very impressive, however I agree with you...it's hard to see out of it. It was a cold day so we had the top up. I'm not too tall, 6 ft, but I think I would have liked it better if the top had been down. Performance was great, but I felt more at home behind the wheel of the 330i. :cool:

The HACK
01-09-2004, 11:48 AM
I wasn't sure about this....but if it didn't have it, I can't imagine what it must sound like with it. I guess the combination of the soft top and sitting so close to the rear of the car could be to blame for the noise.

I think Plaz is right...I keep reading about 2.5 people wanting to install the exhaust port on their Z4s.

The 3.0 sounds like a muscle car under full throttle, it's actually kinda cool. And unlike almost ALL of the BMWs now a days, you can actually hear the exhaust "burble" when you let off the gas or downshift from inside the car.

SCA
01-09-2004, 07:36 PM
The 3.0 sounds like a muscle car under full throttle, it's actually kinda cool. And unlike almost ALL of the BMWs now a days, you can actually hear the exhaust "burble" when you let off the gas or downshift from inside the car.

I miss that "burble"