PDA

View Full Version : some 5er and a4 driving impressions

equ
10-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Summary of what may be the last weekend of the car search...

1. 2003 a4 1.8t avant. Quite nice, not fast but peppy and torquey with a delay. Nice around town - not sure if quiet enough on hwy. Memory says no. Light tossable feel to the driving (at 4-5/10ths). Even though I owned a b5 for a record long time (4.5 years) and like its looks, I must admit b6 >> b5.

2. 2003 a4 3.0. Better than I recall from first drive but 3.0 really uninspiring with annoying gear ratios (esp first). Loud but no pull whatsoever. 1.8t >> 3.0.

3. 2003 530 auto (for the hell of it). AT louder than MT on 3.0 car, every time I get on the gas some extra revving noise but no motion. Yuck.

4. 2002 540i6. Much nicer than I recalled. Not much feel to steering but weighty and precise-ish. Great engine, ok clutch (not as synthetic as the 3.0 bmws). Quiet and fast, not busy to drive at all due to nice, lazy, torquey engine... Really annoying front suspension. Not sure if it's weight or what but the front feels super duper soft on turns with the car feeling like a big lump that's following my commands with a noticeable delay. But then over bumps there is a bit of crash. The 528/530's feel better sorted. Really mpg and the feel over turns/bumps are the only faults. I could live with and really like this car... However, I have a fast, sporty car and this car is nearly double the price of a good 528i that I found so I don't think I'm going to spring for it.

5. 2000 528i. Maintained by bmw tech (a few courses away from master tech, I guess that's good). Lovely, feels like old school bmws with well weighted controls and that great feel. Just a little engine rumble. Almost fast enough as this one has no options.