PDA

View Full Version : Nick - Any Pointers for SP?

FT@SGP
10-27-2006, 08:27 PM
I will be at SP Main Nov 4 weekend, first time after 3 years. I don't remember the track much, watched several vids already to recall some of corners, but I am sure you have some tips for me; anything would be good, especially about T4, T9 and T10.

Thanks,

Nick M3
10-28-2006, 08:19 AM
T3 is the hardest corner, IMHO - over the hill blind crest. Just gotta keep the eyes up and drive through it.

T4, enter late late late. Keep your throttle down. Try to remember you have to keep the speed down enough that you can brake for 5. :)

T9 is pretty obvious - there's a bump in track out which should not be a problem since you aren't in a corvette.

T10 is also pretty obvious - I like to look at the gordon kimpel sign on entry.

Also, don't forget that there is an access road to the left of the gravel trap at turn 1. If you brake too late, or your brakes are only partially affected, you can use that to gain another 600 feet or so of braking, plus the skidpad.

FT@SGP
10-28-2006, 09:49 AM
T3 is the hardest corner, IMHO - over the hill blind crest. Just gotta keep the eyes up and drive through it.
What's your recommendation if one takes that a little too early or a little too much throttle? I remember that does not have much run off, if any.

T4, enter late late late. Keep your throttle down. Try to remember you have to keep the speed down enough that you can brake for 5. :)
Yes, T4 seems scary, I guess if one takes it a little too early and if you are at the limit of the tires; otherwise np, I assume.

T9 is pretty obvious - there's a bump in track out which should not be a problem since you aren't in a corvette.
A lot of PCA guys are scaring the hell out of me about T9. Apparently, because of the dip, there always has been at least one car that ended up side down. But again, I guess that can happen if you are the limit with a highly sprung car.

T10 is also pretty obvious - I like to look at the gordon kimpel sign on entry.

Also, don't forget that there is an access road to the left of the gravel trap at turn 1. If you brake too late, or your brakes are only partially affected, you can use that to gain another 600 feet or so of braking, plus the skidpad.
I'll look for the sign. I remember you had a brake failure in T1, good tip, I'll keep the access road in mind :)

Thanks,

Nick M3
10-28-2006, 10:11 AM
If you're way early, you just don't get on the throttle. I was never able to give that turn too much throttle in the M3, so I don't know what happens. All the crashes that I've seen there had to do with someone lifting.

T4 is fine early, but it takes away your margin and makes 5 harder.

T9 is easy - go over it a few times and see if it upsets the car. If it does, just straighten the wheel for the moment it takes to go over that on subsequent laps. That's what I usually do.

FT@SGP
10-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Thank you, I appreciate the tips :)

Pinecone
10-31-2006, 06:45 AM
T9 is cake. You can actually ride the curb a bit there.

T3, if you are early, LIGHT throttle, depending on your car you may NOT want to be off the throttle.

T4, scary, but not that bad, as long as you don't chicken out and lift. Then it gets VERY hairy.

T3 and T10 are the secrets to a good lap time. You can easily lose 0.5 - 1 second in EACH CORNER. Both are faster than you think, but you do want to sneak up on the speed, and to do that you have to be able to be precise, SAME turn in point each time, then be able to move the turn in a SMALL amount to adjust.

Both corners are ones where the faster you go the earlier you turn in to allow the tires to set their drift angle. So you start slow, then as you speed up you will find that you are off the apex by a foot, so turn in a foot early, and go a bit faster.