PDA

View Full Version : General 4WD/AWD/suspension/differential talk

FC
01-06-2004, 10:58 AM
The board seems very slow today and I have become generally confused about these topics since I started researching SUV's.

Perhaps we could all benefit from the technical gurus that lurk here and help explain the basics of these systems as well as diffrences and advantages.

I'll start with what I know and ask about what I don't.

First differentials:

Most cars have open differentials. These allows for wheels to spin at different speeds but will render the wheel with more traction useless once the wheel with the least traction starts spinning. To remedy this mechanically, limited slip differentials are available. This is the best solution. To get past this on the cheap, manufacturers offer electronic systems that will apply the brakes on the slipping wheel to get the one with traction to move. Basically, "fooling" the open differential by making the slipping wheel seem to have more traction, and so providing power to the non-slipping wheel. It's a crappy way to pretend you have an LSD but it works for the average Joe. For performance driving, you want a real LSD.

This makes perfect sense to me.

How this applies to 4wd/AWD systems.

Most current AWD systems (MB/BMW/Audi) employ a center differential (sometimes open, but usually an LSD) to send power to the front and rear differentials. These both tend to be open differentials. Again, most advanced AWD systems use some kind of electronic control to apply the brakes and send power from side to side and front and back. These differentials allow AWD to be permanent.

By contrast, not all 4WD systems are full time. In this case power is sent to the rear as in a regular RWD car, and when necessary a transfer case is used to select 4wd. This will send power to the front and rear. On some older systems -trucks- (and maybe even new ones) one can manually lock the hubs and force the wheels to spin at the same speed. Of course this is terrible for regular driving.

No SUV's have manually locking hubs. Some allow to manually lock the fornt/center/rear differentials independently, which in effect accomplishes the same thing. It locks all wheels and sends 25% of power to each wheel all the time no matter what.

But most SUV's with 4wd don't offer this feature. So one of my questions is, for example in the case of a jeep GC (which has solid front and rear axles) what happens when you put in 4low? The center differential locks, I know that. But are the front and rear diff's open? If so, you really only have at most two wheels with traction.

Jeep's most expensive model offers Vari-Lok progressive locking front and rear diffs. Sending up to 100% of power to one wheel mechanically. But what happens if you don't have these? Are these fancy differentials just for the full-time 4wd system?

Let's now look at the Nissan Pathfinder and Toyota 4runner/Land Cruiser. They have solid rear axles but front independent suspensions. How would their 4wd systems work?

What is the advantage of a solid axle if an independent suspension can still offer a locking differential? Is it just that it is a more heavy duty off-road system? Is there the assumed understanding that every solid axle nowadays offers automatically locking hubs when ordered with 4wd? :?

I'm confused. Thanks!

bren
01-06-2004, 11:17 AM
oh, my...that is a long post. :D

FC
01-06-2004, 11:26 AM
oh, my...that is a long post. :D

:mad:

I know. :D

Well, I actually looked at your and blee's answer from a previous thread and I guess the answer is that the front and rear diffs do tend to be open diffs even in the solid fornt/rear axled JGC. Interesting. I guess that is good enough.

bren
01-06-2004, 11:33 AM
I think you have a better undstanding than you think.

One thing: the transfer case in 4WD is basically the same as the center diff. in an AWD car. It simply adds a shifter to engage or disengage and in some/most cases another set of gears for low range. This is more of a car vs. truck lingo thing.

Whether the vehicle has independent or solid axles has nothing to do with the drive system. Inside the solid axle is a shaft just like those used for independent susp.

The benefit of solid axles is basically two fold: one they are stronger/more durable in that they protect much of the moving components...axle shafts, u-joints or cv-joints, and there are less parts involved. Two: in extreme off-road situations the solid axle offers more travel and better articulation. When one tire rides up a rock the center of the diff is lifted out of harms way thus increasing ground clearance. Additionally it helps distribute and transfer weight across both tires, think in terms of leverage...as one tire raises it pushes down on the other tire which increases (in most cases) the ability of that tire to grip. An independent set-up is more likely to run out of available susp. travel and lift the oposite tire, reducing stability and grip.

bren
01-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Yes, limited slip axles (for the rear anyway) are optional with Jeep and I believe Toys with the TRD package have them...don't know about Nissan.

Most if not all modern trucks/SUV's no longer have locking hubs because people complained that they had to get out to engage the 4WD system. In fact these are preferable as they are much stronger than any auto-locking hub.

Jeep actually used fixed hubs and vaccuum actuators within the front axle to disconnect just one of the shafts. The problem with this method is the other shaft drives the axle and increases drag, this is one reason that you don't see huge gas mileage increases in 2WD vs. 4WD. The Grand doesn't use this system but most of the older Cherokees and Wranglers do. Now Jeep just disconnects the front drive at the T-Case and lets both front tires drive the diff rather than just one of the two (the older T-cases didn't have this capability.)

FC
01-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Great! Thanks a lot man! :D