PDA

View Full Version : 987s or 987c

equ
09-16-2006, 10:04 PM
A long perseveration story....

CaymanS is brand new (<10miles), atlas gray and very basic (heated seats, bose). It's at a price that I find hard to believe (otherwise it would not be in range). If you are seriously in the market, pm me. They have a few - all lightly optioned.

BoxS is 05, 3000 very babied miles (6 mos into warranty), seal gray, xenons, htd seats and sport shifter (yummy). Priced about 1000 above galves wholesale or at edmunds private party (perhaps galves is too high this one time?).

I think the BoxS is fairly priced and I'm still wondering what the catch is on the low, low CayS price. Perhaps it's the market correcting the pricing of a coupe over an equivalent convertible. Or they just built too many for 06.

I'm very torn. Last weekend, after I ruled out the 997, I started shopping for the Boxster S. Sunday, I drove the said Boxster with the owner, didn't even put the top down, enjoyed the drive very much and kept gushing about it. He commented that the car was seeing high revs for the first time - and I believe him :eek: Called on Monday with an offer, seller accepted. An hour into my celebration, he called back and said he could not let it go after seeing how fun it was. I basically sold him his own car back. :ack:

Two days later, I chanced in on the Cayman deal. Had gone there to look at a new Boxster S, but was swayed by the prices. I've always liked hardtops, I drove a 07 base cayman, liked its solidity over bumps and better steering feel. Now that this was the target car, I went to the other dealer did not get even close to the offered prices but drove a stunning demo, silver with pccb's (great but not worth 8k to me), adaptive seats and on and on. Started really liking the lines of the car, its cute, small build and its up and coming, challenging the 911 nature.

Today I left a deposit to secure the Cayman deal, my gf had never been in one and I hadn't driven a CaymanS at my place of purchase so I asked to drive the Cayman S demo there. This demo also had some the power seat option that I was pondering. Check engine light was on and didn't really feel it to be fast enough! Not sure if I'm getting used to it or if this car was genuinely slow. Found it so easy, so intuitive it was almost like driving an economy car. Kinda missed the conquering the car feeling (turning with the 911, smooth shifting with the newer bmws). There was nothing to conquer, it was like walking. My gf loved it (actually that's another sigh that it drives as easily as a honda) but I still was left a bit cool... Should I attribute it to that particular demo or to anticipated buyers' remorse?

Both deals are good enough that if I turn around I won't take a complete bath, but just the tax alone is 4k... I guess this is a good dilemma to be in.

Of course all of this is compounded with already having the zhp. Originally, for the s2000, I'd obviously keep it. I drive about 10k miles/year and they'd likely be divided equally. With the boxster, this started becoming a stretch but still I'd keep the zhp. With the Cayman, there seems to be no reason to do so as it meets 90% of my needs... Of course, for either porsche, I could argue that I need a beater car for when I go to warehouse parties or to run around NYC, and start shopping for an older a4 or e30. Hmmm, I guess if more perseveration is possible, why not?

Theo
09-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Well do you want a convertable or not is the big question!!

All this boxster talk has peaked my interest as maybe my green car is getting a little long in the tooth. While there is no way I would ante up for the 987 I have been trolling ebay for 03-04 986's. I like the body updates they did that year and the addition of the glass back window. I think the interior is tollerable in black.

Equ,

What do you think of this one. It probabaly the best color and tire combo I found. Super nice!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-PSM-Porsche-Stability-Management-Stk-1400417_W0QQitemZ160031260843QQihZ006QQcategoryZ60 15QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JST
09-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Well do you want a convertable or not is the big question!!

All this boxster talk has peaked my interest as maybe my green car is getting a little long in the tooth. While there is no way I would ante up for the 987 I have been trolling ebay for 03-04 986's. I like the body updates they did that year and the addition of the glass back window. I think the interior is tollerable in black.

Equ,

What do you think of this one. It probabaly the best color and tire combo I found. Super nice!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-PSM-Porsche-Stability-Management-Stk-1400417_W0QQitemZ160031260843QQihZ006QQcategoryZ60 15QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Honestly, for 40 large I'd think about an 05 non-S as opposed to an 03 S. I say that without the benefit of having driven either, but I think the 05 updates (both to the interior and exterior) are so essential that I'd be willing to forego a bit of performance to get them...plus, you end up with a newer car.

For me, a car like this is meant to be a convertible. I don't see the sense in paying more for a closed-roof car unless you are going to be doing serious trackday type work. The Boxster has a solid enough structure that I didn't think the top was necessary, and the Cayman (which I've sat in but concededly never driven) feels way too claustrophobic for me, especially on a nice summer day.

Equ, your point about the smokin' deal on Caymans is interesting. I wonder how much trouble they are having moving these things now that the same engine is going to be in the '07 Boxsters.

John V
09-18-2006, 01:34 PM
I think you'll appreciate the torque of the 986 S motor as opposed to the 987 non-S motor, which makes its power higher in the rev range.

TBM3C, nice car, but I would not want to deal with metallic paint given how prone these cars are to stone chips. It'll be difficult or impossible to touch up. If that matters to you, of course...

I agree if you have the money, ponying up for an '03-'04 car with the glass rear window is a really good idea, even if I don't really like the front bumper update.

equ
09-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Equ,

Very nice color/wheels (better than 987s wheels for sure).

I've had a 996 and I just hate those seats and interior. I also like/need :D the 280hp engine. I also know that in the coming years the 05 will depreciate about the same $/yr as the 03 if not less. So for me it is simple, I will only consider 05+ porsches.

FC
09-18-2006, 01:39 PM
For me, a car like this is meant to be a convertible. I don't see the sense in paying more for a closed-roof car unless you are going to be doing serious trackday type work. The Boxster has a solid enough structure that I didn't think the top was necessary, and the Cayman (which I've sat in but concededly never driven) feels way too claustrophobic for me, especially on a nice summer day.

:+1

The Cayman interior did seem a bit claustrophobic to me as well, but that was in the showroom. My wife preferred the drop-top too.

BTW, the base 987 is a suberb vehicle, other than "only" being zhp-fast.

equ
09-18-2006, 01:44 PM

Equ, your point about the smokin' deal on Caymans is interesting. I wonder how much trouble they are having moving these things now that the same engine is going to be in the '07 Boxsters.

Most places aren't dealing, one place is.

It's not just limits of handling. The Cayman rides and feels better over bumps. Once you've driven in it, the top/structure difference between it and the boxster is very clear. Its exterior is more attractive to me. The boxster exterior has been around for 10 years.

The boxster is a bit more exciting to drive from just top-downness and the one I found has a gray interior which I like. The Cayman deals are available only in black interior cars and this adds a bit to the claustrophobia. I'm not planning to track but I'm still attracted to this car.

Theo
09-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Honestly, for 40 large I'd think about an 05 non-S as opposed to an 03 S. I say that without the benefit of having driven either, but I think the 05 updates (both to the interior and exterior) are so essential that I'd be willing to forego a bit of performance to get them...plus, you end up with a newer car.

JST,

If I get one I want the S and I dont wanna pay 05+ S money. I think the updates to the 03-04 models make the car better looking and more interesting. The 987 is a definete step up but the price also reflects that.

I dont think I could stand the underpowered regular boxster.

equ
09-18-2006, 02:11 PM
JST,

If I get one I want the S and I dont wanna pay 05+ S money. I think the updates to the 03-04 models make the car better looking and more interesting. The 987 is a definete step up but the price also reflects that.

I dont think I could stand the underpowered regular boxster.

BTW, I drove the base 245hp Cayman for a little bit. I found it barely faster than a zhp. Also its power delivery was similar - it came alive after 4000rpm. While the S's aren't crazy torquey, the low rpm difference is very noticeable.

equ
09-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Also I think it's going to be the Cayman - I'll get used to the black interior. Now, white with xenons or atlas gray with no xenons? (Same price).

John V
09-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Also I think it's going to be the Cayman - I'll get used to the black interior. Now, white with xenons or atlas gray with no xenons? (Same price).

Easy choice. Neither. :D

FC
09-18-2006, 02:35 PM

I happen to think white P-cars are cool, but Atlas is a great, low maintenance color, it seems - and it more "elegant." Both are nice choices. If anything, having Xenons may well the tie-breaker for me. I think they are a must, despite them beign a very expensive option on an already very expensive car.

John V
09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
I happen to think white P-cars are cool, but Atlas is a great, low maintenance color, it seems - and it more "elegant." Both are nice choices. If anything, having Xenons may well the tie-breaker for me. I think they are a must, despite them beign a very expensive option on an already very expensive car.

I can't speak for the 987, but on the 986, Xenons don't make much difference at all in the perceived lighting output. The non-xenon lights are very good. We're not talking BMWs here where the stock non-xenon lights are barely adequate to light up the road.

Plus, it's not difficult at all to upgrade to xenons later. I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor if I liked everything else about a particular car. (In fact, I didn't!)

equ
09-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the comments people.. Predictably, you landed on opposite sides of the issue. I'm going to look at colors again and finally decide. I will have the car before the weekend... Ah, last minute jitters and butterflies in the stomach. That moment of parting with large amounts of cash is very close!

Plaz
09-18-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't like white for any car.

Hey, you asked! :lol:

John V
09-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Personal opinion, I think strong colors make the Boxster look best. The lines are so soft that the shape of the car is hidden in flat colors. I thought most of the 986 colors were awful.

I really like Speed Yellow and Guards Red. Personal preference obviously. It seemed that four out of five cars I looked at were black or silver. :ack:

FC
09-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Personal opinion, I think strong colors make the Boxster look best. The lines are so soft that the shape of the car is hidden in flat colors. I thought most of the 986 colors were awful.

I really like Speed Yellow and Guards Red. Personal preference obviously. It seemed that four out of five cars I looked at were black or silver. :ack:

I think the Boxster looks great in just about all colors. Yes, yellow and red scream sportiness and make a bold statement, but the dark metallics, black and silver still make it look sharp.

If I trade my 330i for a 987X, I will consider red again. Yellow is a bit strong I think, but it still looks good.

Theo
09-18-2006, 03:47 PM

Is that the burgandy like red or the bright red. There is a burgandy/black 986 near my work with the turbo 18's that is really nice. I turn my head at it every day.

Yeah anything but that red or the deep blue or the electrice blue as I posted does not look good to me. ESP SILVER!!! yuk

equ
09-18-2006, 04:51 PM

I hate black or silver. I slightly dislike atlas for being close to those. White is cool - kind of classic.

I've had my share of problems with imola red (don't ask) so I can't do red again. I do like yellow though and think only really fast cars should be allowed to have it (and well nyc cabbies :rolleyes:). I've been ogling this one forever, even falling for the stupid yellow trim bits:

http://ray-catena.porschedealer.com/new_cars/info.php?inventoryid=217510

lemming
09-18-2006, 05:08 PM
I hate black or silver. I slightly dislike atlas for being close to those. White is cool - kind of classic.

I've had my share of problems with imola red (don't ask) so I can't do red again. I do like yellow though and think only really fast cars should be allowed to have it (and well nyc cabbies :rolleyes:). I've been ogling this one forever, even falling for the stupid yellow trim bits:

:eek:

69k is pricey.

FC
09-18-2006, 05:41 PM

Yellow seatbelts are :bigpimp: .

But in any other color, I think red seatbelts, matching the calipers (on S models with black interiors) as a weird kind of accent is pretty cool.

My old boss had an '01 base 986 with yellow seatbelts. It looked cool. It's an easy retrofit too.

lemming
09-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Yellow seatbelts are :bigpimp: .

But in any other color, I think red seatbelts, matching the calipers (on S models with black interiors) as a weird kind of accent is pretty cool.

My old boss had an '01 base 986 with yellow seatbelts. It looked cool. It's an easy retrofit too.

anyway that i try to think about it, if both 987 chassis cars come with the same engine, neither do i understand why the 987-120 costs more nor do i understand how you could pass up the convertible in this instance.

just to have the convertible option with the same power (with little to no weight gain) you could easily get the Porsche tequipment hardtop option. i'd enjoy the car and when i was done with it, have much better residual value for it (when i inevitably got bored with it) to sell or to trade it in.

the 987-120 was compelling when it was positioned as the performance car of the group, but now that all vehicles have the exact same power to weight, i think the added money just makes Porsche CPAs laugh like little german school girls.

equ
09-18-2006, 08:03 PM
It's done. I placed the final call, I will pick it up tomorrow. I will learn to live without xenons.

Atlas gray/black, 987CS.

FC
09-18-2006, 08:12 PM
It's done. I placed the final call, I will pick it up tomorrow. I will learn to live without xenons.

Atlas gray/black, 987CS.

Congrats!:cool: :D

lemming
09-18-2006, 08:40 PM
congratulations are in order, man.

and especially for making up your mind so quickly!

Sharp11
09-18-2006, 11:51 PM

Atlas gray/black, 987CS.

I hope you enjoy the car thoroughly.

I'd like to know what kind of "deal" you got, it is a good time though, sales aren't great and it's end-of-the-model-year clearance time, so now's the time to buy.

Ed

equ
09-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Thanks people. I'm up early with anticipation (and some jitters). Can't wait till 5pm.

FT@SGP
09-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Congrats!!! Mine is also Atlas Grey with Ocean Blue interior :) We'll see you at the track some day ;)

John V
09-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Damn. That's f'in cool. Congrats on the purchase. I'm very envious!

Theo
09-19-2006, 09:28 AM
Oh wow man. Can't wait to see the pics!! Definite congrats!!

FC
09-19-2006, 09:45 AM
It seems like in a couple of years there may be a lot of 98XX cars 'round here.

Man, stuka would really hate us all.:D

IndyMike
09-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Thanks people. I'm up early with anticipation (and some jitters). Can't wait till 5pm.
5pm, huh? Still plenty of time to waffle on it. Are you really sure you've thought it all out? Including the part of possibly being excommunicated from the board due to the lack of sufficient waffling? :)

John V
09-19-2006, 10:05 AM

Another person here at work bought one. I don't know who they are, but it's a '03/'04 986S in green with a black top. So we went from zero Boxsters to four Boxsters in less than a year. :lol:

Plaz
09-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Congrats!

I'm green. :D

Theo
09-19-2006, 10:48 AM

I agree. It seems to be the car to get. I still have yet to drive one, but its really on my list of to do's this weekend.

An 03 BS is sounding better and better.

Theo
09-19-2006, 10:52 AM

Not to get to off topic again, but while this is not a BS the color combo is stunning. If it were an S I might have called the owner already.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-Porsche-Boxster-1-Owner-20-500-Miles-Special-MINT_W0QQitemZ220027656907QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6015Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FC
09-19-2006, 10:55 AM
My favorite color has always been slate gray, but it has always been and still is a 3K option.:ack:

Theo
09-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Equ,

Are you keeping the ZHP as well?

equ
09-19-2006, 10:59 AM
5pm, huh? Still plenty of time to waffle on it. Are you really sure you've thought it all out? Including the part of possibly being excommunicated from the board due to the lack of sufficient waffling? :)

Oh, man, I really filtered out the waffling a bit for the board. Now that you brought it up...

Around 9:30am today I had a pang of regret as buying the CaymanS means I probably should sell my dear bmw. I had located the perfect s2000 two weeks ago, silverstone/red/black with which it would make sense to keep the 330i. And I remembered the fun I had driving the s2k and went into panic mode, almost calling the dealer to cancel the prep ("charge me 1-2 hrs of labor, I don't care"). I kept thinking I didn't like idea of being just another wall st. guy buying yet another porsche. I had to go on a walk and called my gf to calm my nerves, she reminded me that the s2k was fine but that I had preferred driving the porsches.

Here is a mathematical point of discussion for us perseverators. Is car preference transitive? E.g., if I prefer a BoxS to an s2k (for even 1.5 to 2 times the price) and if I prefer a CayS to a BoxS, does that mean I prefer a CayS to an s2k?

I think taken individually yes. However along with sell/keep zhp decision, this gets complicated...

Theo
09-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Ok I really need to get some work done but here is one more.

I seem to remember a blurb about this special addition.

The interior on this one is so nice and it has some additional horses. (264)

Sorry if I am messing with your thread equ, I still can't wait to see those pictures. You are going love that car. Great choice!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-PORSCHE-BOXSTER-S-50th-ANNIVERSARY-ED-LO-MILES-NU_W0QQitemZ180028381217QQihZ008QQcategoryZ6015QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sharp11
09-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Oh, man, I really filtered out the waffling a bit for the board. Now that you brought it up...

Around 9:30am today I had a pang of regret as buying the CaymanS means I probably should sell my dear bmw. I had located the perfect s2000 two weeks ago, silverstone/red/black with which it would make sense to keep the 330i. And I remembered the fun I had driving the s2k and went into panic mode, almost calling the dealer to cancel the prep ("charge me 1-2 hrs of labor, I don't care"). I kept thinking I didn't like idea of being just another wall st. guy buying yet another porsche. I had to go on a walk and called my gf to calm my nerves, she reminded me that the s2k was fine but that I had preferred driving the porsches.

Here is a mathematical point of discussion for us perseverators. Is car preference transitive? E.g., if I prefer a BoxS to an s2k (for even 1.5 to 2 times the price) and if I prefer a CayS to a BoxS, does that mean I prefer a CayS to an s2k?

I think taken individually yes. However along with sell/keep zhp decision, this gets complicated...

You can't buy every car you like, and you WILL like more than one.

So you pick one and stick with it until you don't like it anymore, or until circumstances dictate a change. Cars are dynamic and liquid items, flowing through your life in a variety of colors and shapes.

There will ALWAYS be a car for you to buy - so relax and enjoy the Porsche.

Ed

Theo
09-20-2006, 10:52 AM
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!! Were are the pics!!!

FC
09-20-2006, 11:04 AM

:+1

John V
09-20-2006, 11:09 AM

Yes, were are they indeed?

lemming
09-20-2006, 11:12 AM
You can't buy every car you like, and you WILL like more than one.

So you pick one and stick with it until you don't like it anymore, or until circumstances dictate a change. Cars are dynamic and liquid items, flowing through your life in a variety of colors and shapes.

There will ALWAYS be a car for you to buy - so relax and enjoy the Porsche.

Ed

:worship

equ
09-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Picked up at 6:30pm as the last light was going. Since then I've been too busy driving to take pics. Amazing what two hours of driving does to two weeks/months/years of waffling.
:D :D :D

I'll attach an out of focus teaser. 13 miles with 17.3 on the trip odo :?

equ
09-20-2006, 01:55 PM
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

FC
09-20-2006, 02:28 PM
:cool: :D

Theo
09-20-2006, 05:15 PM
OH thats nice. Enjoy

Plaz
09-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Oh, I am so green.

Congrats!

rumatt
09-20-2006, 11:36 PM
SWeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt.

Alan
09-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Equ ... Just catching up on this thread now ... great choice of cars, the Cayman has an awesome look to it and is really rare to see on the roads.
As compared to an S2000 ... yes the Hionda is a great car but the Porsche has such a solid feel that only a german car can offer.

Give us some of the details, ie. options, power seat, price,etc.

I think if I were to get one (which might happen one day:dunno: ) it would be a tough choice between the boxster or the Cayman but I like the way the Cayman seat can be reclined without having roll bars to squeeze up against.

Alan
09-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Ok I really need to get some work done but here is one more.

I seem to remember a blurb about this special addition.

The interior on this one is so nice and it has some additional horses. (264)

I love the look of that Special ed. but being that you are thinking of going from a comfortable E36 into a 986 boxster I would highly recommend you spend some time driving one.

I loved the way my 03 Boxster drove (see a pic of it below) but the seats were horrible ... being 5'10" I could never get the seat comfortable ... plus I could never recline it enough. The last day I drove it I was in it for over 2 hours and my back was killing me. Being that this is your only car I would definitely look at either the 05 model which is more comfortable or look at another car altogether. The engine in the non S is great especially the feel and sound over 4000 rpms.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=695&d=1141768517

lemming
09-30-2006, 09:35 AM
I love the look of that Special ed. but being that you are thinking of going from a comfortable E36 into a 986 boxster I would highly recommend you spend some time driving one.

I loved the way my 03 Boxster drove (see a pic of it below) but the seats were horrible ... being 5'10" I could never get the seat comfortable ... plus I could never recline it enough. The last day I drove it I was in it for over 2 hours and my back was killing me. Being that this is your only car I would definitely look at either the 05 model which is more comfortable or look at another car altogether. The engine in the non S is great especially the feel and sound over 4000 rpms.

in this picture, which end is the front?

;)

Theo
09-30-2006, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will still have the E46 as a second car.

I live very close to my work and never have very far to drive, so whatever car I get will not need to be a long hall driver.

I do need to spend some seat time in one. I am also 5'10 so that news is somewhat concerning.

Nice car btw. =)

John V
09-30-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm 5'11", Ken is over 6'00" and neither of us have any problems getting comfortable in the car. I am fairly long in the inseam (33") for being only 5'11".

The seats are very narrow. I'm narrow in frame and have no comfort problems. Ken is wider in the frame and hasn't complained about comfort either. I think he drives with the seat almost all the way back and more reclined than I do. I like to sit closer and quite upright. I'm puzzled how someone who is 5'10" can't get comfortable, but everyone is built differently!

Alan
09-30-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm 5'11", Ken is over 6'00" and neither of us have any problems getting comfortable in the car. I am fairly long in the inseam (33") for being only 5'11".

The seats are very narrow. I'm narrow in frame and have no comfort problems. Ken is wider in the frame and hasn't complained about comfort either. I think he drives with the seat almost all the way back and more reclined than I do. I like to sit closer and quite upright. I'm puzzled how someone who is 5'10" can't get comfortable, but everyone is built differently!

I need extra room for my 3rd leg if you know what I mean :D

All kidding aside if I were to sit more upright and closer like you do there would be no issues. You sound liek you sit in the proper driving position, I have always driven more reclined then a person my height should so I have always needed a car that I could move the seat in a reclined position.
By any chance do you have the power seat ? I sat in one with the power seat and was able to get more comfortable due to the fact I could change the angle of the lower cushion though I still needed to recline more then I could ... With the manual seat all I needed was 1 or 2 inches more and it would be been ok

Another reason could be that the seat was broken in by the prior owner and who knows how big or small they were ... I needed a small pillow behind my back at all times to make the seat comfortable but with the pillow, it would push me forward a little bit causing me to need more recline travel.

FC
09-30-2006, 05:57 PM

Modern Porsche seats fit me like a glove. I sit with a fairly upright backrest so to me, the seats recline more than enough.

On the 987/997 seats, the regular (manual) seat bottoms are way too flat, but the manual sports seats have a more tilted bottom and better lateral support and I like those. Of course power seats allow bottom tilt adjustment, but they cost ~$1.5K or $3K for regular and sport.

equ
09-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Equ ... Just catching up on this thread now ... great choice of cars, the Cayman has an awesome look to it and is really rare to see on the roads.
As compared to an S2000 ... yes the Hionda is a great car but the Porsche has such a solid feel that only a german car can offer.

Give us some of the details, ie. options, power seat, price,etc.

I think if I were to get one (which might happen one day:dunno: ) it would be a tough choice between the boxster or the Cayman but I like the way the Cayman seat can be reclined without having roll bars to squeeze up against.

Thanks man, I'm really loving it. 700 miles in 10 days :eeps: and I normally do that in a month... Beginning to get on it bit by bit, it's really so nice and so right.

Lightly optioned and lightly priced. ;) Atlas grey, heated seats, bose and mats. Sometimes wonder if I'd need the chrono (don't like the wart but perhaps like the idea of sharper throttle, looser PSM). My normal suspension rides fine on 18's. In my tests I found 19's to be not much worse. PASM 19's seemed quite comfy (though that area has better roads than where I live). PASM sport on 19's was jittery hop skip stiff on anything but glass smooth. I don't think I need the extra complication, car rides great as it is. Fun on short or long trips, tight or wide curves.

I thought hard about seat choices. I had power seats in my 996 and I really hated those seats. The main difference is that the material is firmer, more supportive and the headrest is finally in the right place (rather than a foot behind my head). This alone rules out anything but 05+ for me.

If I ordered I'd either get power or go the whole way and get the adaptive sport even though I ended up with regular and they seem to be fine (up to 2 hrs at a time so far). The lumbar area is well supported so that feature of power is unnecessary, you're really only losing one degree of freedom. In manual seats, the cushion angle is coupled to the cushion height. However I'm able to find sth comfortable. Also like the idea that they're lighter and can go lower if need be.

As driver I haven't pushed too hard but find the bolstering in the regular seats adequate for everyday driving. I'm 5'10"/160lbs but thought the sports bolstering could cause numbness in long drives. The adaptive's bolsters move apart so that takes care of everything.

The only other option I missed is xenon (if you read the top of the thread I perseverate plenty on white w/xenon and atlas w/out). This is how the chips fell and yes you all should have a 987-something in your future :)

lemming
09-30-2006, 09:33 PM
you all should have a 987-something in your future :)

that's just what FC needs to hear.

FC
09-30-2006, 09:49 PM
I've been defending Boxsters for years. It used to be most mocked me for it. Now you all "see the light.":bigpimp:

You can all make fun of my multi-year plans, but I've wanted a Boxster S since it came out in 2000. If I get one in '09 that makes me the least waffling 'mudgeon around. :D

(This (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16159&highlight=Boxster) is the earliest reference I found online. You'll just have to trust me about the prior 3 years);)

And for what it's worth, my "5-year plan" is down to 2.5 and going strong.;)

Alan
09-30-2006, 10:24 PM
I've been defending Boxsters for years. It used to be most mocked me for it. Now you all "see the light.":bigpimp:

You can all make fun of my multi-year plans, but I've wanted a Boxster S since it came out in 2000. If I get one in '09 that makes me the least waffling 'mudgeon around. :D

(This (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16159&highlight=Boxster) is the earliest reference I found online. You'll just have to trust me about the prior 3 years);)

I was always a boxster fan as well ... back when they first came out my father bought a 97 in red.

I think most of you know my family is very close and since the day I could drive my father always looked at his cars as something we should all enjoy.

I used to take the 97 for a week here and a week there to have fun with and I loved it then ... funny to say but I don't remember the seat being uncomfortable :dunno:

John V
10-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Another reason could be that the seat was broken in by the prior owner and who knows how big or small they were ... I needed a small pillow behind my back at all times to make the seat comfortable but with the pillow, it would push me forward a little bit causing me to need more recline travel.

Maybe...

I have the regular manual seats which adjust fore-aft, height and rake angle (this is powered). Like I said some people are built differently, too bad they didn't work for you.

To respond to FC's post, I never liked Boxsters. I thought they were pointless - why buy one when there are more powerful cars out there for cheaper? Through much persuasion by my friends I drove one, and my mind was changed.

equ
10-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Similarly, I loved my first drive ever in a boxster. But I bought a 911 that month because I like hardtops and more power - never really fell for that car though for various reasons... When porsche built the CayS, they got very close to the car that I wanted all along (though due to the high msrp I never considered one until discounts). It could have more power, but then I couldn't afford it. My heart flutters when I talk or even think about my little car. GF calls it tetherball as on some turns it felt like we're holding on to a pole somewhere...

equ
10-01-2006, 09:00 AM
If I get one in '09 that makes me the least waffling 'mudgeon around. :D

Another twist in 'mudgeon-dom.

I sold the a4 that I bought new in 2000 (first non-junky car for me) in 2004 through my company's classifieds. Every once in a while I check in with the new owner. Last week I sent him a message asking him to let me know just in case the a4 is for sale (I was thinking a b5a4 or an e30 would be a nice complement to the coxster). He said he and his wife really liked the car and had no plans to sell. Then, two hours after I put my zhp (with pics) on the classifieds, he called to ask if we could explore a trade. I would be buying back my own car and I would be selling him a second one. In essence, I'd be this guy's personal car dealer... :lol: :lol: :lol:

He's coming by in an hour. :eeps: I don't think this will fly, but it would be pretty funny. Not sure if it means more or less waffling, as in I complete the circle back to the first car I bought. That's some steadiness. But purchasing a 911, two zhps and a croc in the meantime? :rolleyes:

Alan
10-01-2006, 04:00 PM
He's coming by in an hour. :eeps: I don't think this will fly, but it would be pretty funny. Not sure if it means more or less waffling, as in I complete the circle back to the first car I bought. That's some steadiness. But purchasing a 911, two zhps and a croc in the meantime? :rolleyes:

So how did it go ? The first gen A4 was one of my favorite cars and I came very close to buying one so many times but never did

equ
10-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Some things should be left alone. Like having dinner with a love from long ago, seeing my first car was kind of stressful, I didn't sleep well in anticipation. The exterior cosmetics depressed me a bit and the interior was just so weird. I spent twice the time in that car that I spent in bmw's and it felt like I'd never been in one. Giant truck-like steering, oversize dials, unbolstered seats...

The good: I actually liked how it drove. Weaker engine than the zhp but better geared for daily life and low US speeds so it moves fine (2.8 quattro manual). Some little dead spots in the rpm band but good quiet whooshy pull for a daily driver. Fun on turns even with ridiculous softness (I drove that car?) with lots of grip... Didn't push too hard but in quattro style (slow in gas throughout) felt quite neutral. Very nice isolation on bad roads, not as bad in steering feel as newer S4's.

The bad: 2nd owner never drove a clutch before (he bought without a test drive!) so the clutch is going. The seats are flat, slippery and not that supportive even with power lumbar and other adjustments. Many faults at time of sell continue exactly. Wipers are crap, driver's seat squeaks, mediocre exterior (mostly my fault but discounted at time of sale), clutch grabs in top 1/2 inch of travel.

Conclusion?

My old flame should stay an old flame. However, if I could get one with better cosmetics, a good clutch and swap in some s4 seats, most of my concerns are addressed. (I don't want an s4 due to NY/NJ theft and turbo reliability).

The other option is an e30 but this becoming sufficient material for a whole new thread of waffling :)

lemming
10-01-2006, 10:04 PM

i could deal with such a hypothetical car so long as there was something faster available in the stable. :dunno:

different strokes....

rumatt
10-13-2006, 02:02 AM
Ahem. I think this thread needs some more recent pictures..... :D

PS

When you sell, you ARE going to post it here first, right??? :eeps:

rumatt
10-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Ahem. I think this thread needs some more recent pictures..... :D

PS

When you sell, you ARE going to post it here first, right??? :eeps:

Ahem. :toetap:

:p

equ
10-30-2006, 06:33 AM
I know, I know... I'm driving it around like crazy but I haven't even taken proper pics of the crocster yet. Washed it yesterday but then ran out of time and daylight...

Very busy weekend, some posts to come on that. Perhaps the beater is found :)

equ
11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Shot by my coworker:

rumatt
11-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Shot by my coworker:

I'll take it.

Nick M3
11-03-2006, 12:32 PM
I can't speak for the 987, but on the 986, Xenons don't make much difference at all in the perceived lighting output. The non-xenon lights are very good. We're not talking BMWs here where the stock non-xenon lights are barely adequate to light up the road.

Plus, it's not difficult at all to upgrade to xenons later. I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor if I liked everything else about a particular car. (In fact, I didn't!)
You're thinking of the E36 candle-behind-foggy-plastic arrangement. The 323's headlights are in a lot of ways better than the M3's.

Josh (PA)
11-03-2006, 02:41 PM
in this picture, which end is the front?

;)
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1647&d=1162582849

Cheesey photoshop skills

rumatt
11-06-2006, 10:33 PM
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1647&d=1162582849

:lol:

I saw a cayman in real life for the first time this weekend.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

lemming
11-06-2006, 11:13 PM

I saw a cayman in real life for the first time this weekend.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

"we" did, too.

(it was next to a 997TT).

the comment went like this, "oh, a boxster hardtop. that's kind of neat.....wait a minute, what's the other car? it has really big brakes. how come the brakes on the boxster hardtop look so small?"

no exaggeration. and that's coming from the home team. no way i could live with a Cayman, myself.

equ
11-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Yeah, whatever... I know which one is more FUN to drive. From rennteam:

When my dealer handed the Cayman keys to me he said to really wring the car out and tell him my thoughts, even to let a few friends do the same. The car had 900 miles when I picked it up. It did not have PASM, and had juice drive (yetch). Other that that it was a really sweet ride and cornered better than my 997TT. Its stopping power was good too. The other drivers came away with the same feeling, one of them is another 997TT owner. I put about 200 miles on it before I returned it. I can't wait for the 6 speed loaner.

--------------------
997TT Black on Black Launch edition.
SL55 K2, 585 HP/628TQ
GT3 RS on order, Green on Green

lemming
11-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Yeah, whatever... I know which one is more FUN to drive. From rennteam:

When my dealer handed the Cayman keys to me he said to really wring the car out and tell him my thoughts, even to let a few friends do the same. The car had 900 miles when I picked it up. It did not have PASM, and had juice drive (yetch). Other that that it was a really sweet ride and cornered better than my 997TT. Its stopping power was good too. The other drivers came away with the same feeling, one of them is another 997TT owner. I put about 200 miles on it before I returned it. I can't wait for the 6 speed loaner.

--------------------
997TT Black on Black Launch edition.
SL55 K2, 585 HP/628TQ
GT3 RS on order, Green on Green

no offense, but a person i don't know doesn't have a lot of credibility with me --and the comments didn't come from me. but there are indicative of my mindset, too.

remember that while i am a spendthrift, i'm not a complete fiscal idiot. my car cost the same as yours and it's much, much faster. if i were to enter the showroom with a mind to buy a car, i'd almost be guaranteed to not buy the Cayman because i generally buy the fastest OEM vehicle in the showroom.

i don't impose that philosophy on anyone else, but i also will readily point this out to people.

equ
11-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Not offended at all, obviously this is all subjective. You like sth as fast as possible and would get a Saturn V if you could. While I personally find that useless, I do generally value your comments.

The comments of your friend's - that you somewhat agree with - are dripping with uninformedness. That's why it deserves a "whatever..." from me.
Yet you disregard what is possibly the only posted observation about the CS by a 997TT owner.

lemming
11-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Not offended at all, obviously this is all subjective. You like sth as fast as possible and would get a Saturn V if you could. While I personally find that useless, I do generally value your comments.

The comments of your friend's - that you somewhat agree with - are dripping with uninformedness. That's why it deserves a "whatever..." from me.
Yet you disregard what is possibly the only posted observation about the CS by a 997TT owner.

was the wife's commentary. :lol:

(she was wanting a 911 Turbo just then, acutely).

equ
11-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Well, then... :lol:

I wouldn't mind my gf lusting for a fast car of any sort. Last week, I lent her the crocster for an afternoon while her car was having some minor work done. She came back with a big smile on her face and said "You wouldn't believe how I improved your mpg average!" :rolleyes:

rumatt
11-07-2006, 09:43 AM
"You wouldn't believe how I improved your mpg average!" :rolleyes:

Theo
11-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Anybody know what this blue shade is called? I want to check this car out this weekend. There are a lot of nice 03-04's around my area up fro sale right now.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=209666318&dealer_id=58501747&car_year=2003&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=POR&transmission=Manual&model=BOXSTE&distance=50&make2=&address=94903&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2004&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=2003&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=44

FC
11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Anybody know what this blue shade is called? I want to check this car out this weekend. There are a lot of nice 03-04's around my area up fro sale right now.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=209666318&dealer_id=58501747&car_year=2003&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=POR&transmission=Manual&model=BOXSTE&distance=50&make2=&address=94903&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2004&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=2003&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=44

Easy, Midnight Blue.;) - Porsche's version of BMW's Orient Blue.

Theo
11-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Easy, Midnight Blue.;) - Porsche's version of BMW's Orient Blue.

Cool thanks!! I have never seen a boxster in that color. In the last pic of the back of the car it looks a LOT lighter then orient blue. Are you sure?

FC
11-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Cool thanks!! I have never seen a boxster in that color. In the last pic of the back of the car it looks a LOT lighter then orient blue. Are you sure?

There is (was, I guess) a color called Lapis Blue that looked like the photo under the sun. But it should not look as dark as the side photo does, so now I'm confused.

It's either Lapis or Midnight.:dunno:

equ
11-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Umm, it does look lighter than orient. Looks quite not purple enough to be lapis. Was there a blue called ocean? It could be thrown off so easily by white balance (the achilles' heel of today's digipics).

FC
11-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Umm, it does look lighter than orient. Looks quite not purple enough to be lapis. Was there a blue called ocean?

Not recently, I don't think.:dunno:

But it looks too dark to be cobalt. Cobalt is almost like BMW's Estoril Blue.

Theo
11-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Not recently, I don't think.:dunno:

But it looks too dark to be cobalt. Cobalt is almost like BMW's Estoril Blue.

OHHH I was looking at an add for one in Cobalt. What a nice color that is!

FC
11-07-2006, 11:11 PM
OHHH I was looking at an add for one in Cobalt. What a nice color that is!

It used to be a $3K paint color option. All of a sudden, for 2007 it is a std ($800) paint.

dan
11-07-2006, 11:24 PM
wow, porsche even charges extra for their standard paints!

otherwise you get sheetmetal :dunno:

rumatt
11-07-2006, 11:47 PM

:wtf:

FC
11-08-2006, 08:20 AM

otherwise you get sheetmetal :dunno:

Alright, stickler boy, I meant a std metallic paint.:rolleyes:

lemming
11-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Alright, stickler boy, I meant a std metallic paint.:rolleyes:

if you wait long enough, the 911 will be mid-engined.

:yes:

FT@SGP
11-08-2006, 10:28 AM
if you wait long enough, the 911 will be mid-engined.

:yes:
Keep dreaming :lol:

lemming
11-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Keep dreaming :lol:

maybe 1.5 generations of 911.