PDA

View Full Version : My next car...

equ
09-12-2006, 08:02 PM
...will be a 2005+ midengine porsche. :yes:

I love them! Porsche has finally got them right and almost deserves the money they're asking. After repeated drives/looks/tests, this is the decision. The only cars that made the handling feel cut were s2k, rx8 and the midengine porsches. Well, I'll always have a soft spot for the Japanese contenders though they didn't make it this time around. Can I ever get a non-german car? I swear I'm not biased. The 05+ interior is a necessity for me in a porsche.

This leaves four cars (hard/softtop, base/S). Current top contender is cayS, stay tuned!

FC
09-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Not that it's necessary, but I told you they are awesome.;)

equ
09-12-2006, 08:35 PM
We think alike in many ways. I'll make sure to stop by when I do a Boston trip. ;)

JST
09-12-2006, 08:58 PM
We think alike in many ways.

So do we. :eeps:

I am glad I am not the only one thinking the 2K5 interior is mandatory.

You left out new/used as another set of variables.

FC
09-12-2006, 09:01 PM
We think alike in many ways. I'll make sure to stop by when I do a Boston trip. ;)

As with any other 'mudgeon, I'll be happy to meet up. :)

equ
09-13-2006, 10:31 PM
Beginning to have dreams about a white Cayman. In one of them, the cops give me a break for the newness of the car. In another, the cops don't see me as a threat because the car is white.

Very close to a deal on one, just have to get comfortable with absence/existence of some options. Ahhh, the new seats are good but I'm not sure I can risk my achy back on non-power/non-lumbar seats... Cars with that option have a whole lot more that I don't like. Clarkson may state that he'll give a kidney and more to have the Bugatti Veyron (see his Times article this week). I think I'm going to sacrifice my lower back to get the 987c in budget. BTW, I think bugatti should take him up on it.

lemming
09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
because i don't remember: how big are the differences again between the 986 and 987 chassis frames?

i never thought the pre04 interior was bad --i just thought it was pricey for the money that they charge for it.

TD
09-13-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm starting to think that my next car ought to be a Porsche.

But I'd get one with the luggage shelf they refer to as a back seat.

equ
09-13-2006, 11:17 PM

First time around with the 997, I posted how I didn't like the feel:

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=7946

I drove it again to make sure. This time I could feel the car and make it flow - but notice the word "make it"....

Not posting the full review yet but I did a few back to back 997/CayS, CayS/BoxS, Box/Cay drives (with some s2000's thrown in). The 997 is a beauty to look at and very fast in a straight line. However, stepping out of it and driving the croc, almost felt like stepping out of a sedan and driving a sports car. Perhaps an active suspensioned Carrera S would be different, though I doubt it :dunno: It is still that compromised. Two kinds of people will continue with the 911. Shape/style/badge lovers and the fetishists who like strange cornering.

I've owned a 996, I didn't like the seats/interior and the 997 fixed that and more. That said I wouldn't buy the base 997 if it cost the same as the Cayman (well I guess if I could resell for a profit, maybe). I'm guessing the same for the 997S or the C4/4S though I haven't yet driven them.

John V
09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
because i don't remember: how big are the differences again between the 986 and 987 chassis frames?

i never thought the pre04 interior was bad --i just thought it was pricey for the money that they charge for it.

I try to encourage people to do what I did - find one with the full leather interior. It makes a big difference.

The interior is still ugly, but after about 100 miles you really don't care. :D

wdc330i
09-14-2006, 10:04 AM

Same thoughts here...

TD
09-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Same thoughts here...
Without being FC, I think it's pretty much between leasing a new S3 (if it comes to the US and can be had here with a stick) and leasing a used 911. I still don't want to own. And I can't deny that that S3 sure looks good to me.

We'll see when the time gets closer. The lease in up in early '09.

JST
09-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Without being FC, I think it's pretty much between leasing a new S3 (if it comes to the US and can be had here with a stick) and leasing a used 911. I still don't want to own. And I can't deny that that S3 sure looks good to me.

We'll see when the time gets closer. The lease in up in early '09.

My choices are 987S, 996, 335 or CTS-V, at the moment.

TD
09-14-2006, 11:34 AM
My choices are 987S, 996, 335 or CTS-V, at the moment.
But you're up much sooner than I am.

Tonya and I have decided that my next car doesn't need to have 4 doors. In early 2009, Andrew will be 5 1/2 and Meaghan will be 9. Only Andrew will still need a booster seat, but by then only for another year and a half or so. Even with him still in a booster, both will be able to climb into the back seat on their own, no problem.

So the S3 and 911 are both in play.

Of course, if I like the CTS redesign, that could enter in to the mix. I'm 90%+ sure that another E9X is not in the cards, although the next-gen 5er might be.

JST
09-14-2006, 11:38 AM
But you're up much sooner than I am.

Tonya and I have decided that my next car doesn't need to have 4 doors. In early 2009, Andrew will be 5 1/2 and Meaghan will be 9. Only Andrew will still need a booster seat, but by then only for another year and a half or so. Even with him still in a booster, both will be able to climb into the back seat on their own, no problem.

So the S3 and 911 are both in play.

Of course, if I like the CTS redesign, that could enter in to the mix. I'm 90%+ sure that another E9X is not in the cards, although the next-gen 5er might be.

I am trying to decide whether I could really live with a two-seat car. Seems like kind of an absurd time to buy one, but we haven't transported the little one in my car more than twice in the past two months.

987S + 335 to replace the Audi might be the winning ticket.

TD
09-14-2006, 11:44 AM
I am trying to decide whether I could really live with a two-seat car. Seems like kind of an absurd time to buy one, but we haven't transported the little one in my car more than twice in the past two months.

I can't see living with a 2-seater unless it was a 3rd car.

But I have two kids and also work in a place where going to lunch means driving (as opposed to walking - as you do in the city). So if I go to lunch with co-workers, someone has to drive. Granted it's a great excuse to not have to drive co-workers to lunch, but...

dan
09-14-2006, 11:51 AM

with only 1 kid it's not much of a problem

John V
09-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Granted it's a great excuse to not have to drive co-workers to lunch, but...

Yes. Yes it is.

Josh, if you get a 987S I get to test it out. Deal? Deal. :D

kenkamm
09-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I try to encourage people to do what I did - find one with the full leather interior. It makes a big difference.

Yeah... it makes such a big difference that... wait, how long did you own your car before you realized yours was full leather and mine was not? :D :D

John V
09-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Yeah... it makes such a big difference that... wait, how long did you own your car before you realized yours was full leather and mine was not? :D :D

:eeps:

FC
09-14-2006, 12:36 PM

That is exactly what I'd like to have if I replace my zhp with another sedan.

Oh, and we'd still need a wagon.

iateyourcheese
09-14-2006, 01:11 PM

I could see you in a four dour Pontiac.

Like this (http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/38-2006-2007-holden-ve-commodore.jpg)

dan
09-14-2006, 01:26 PM
how about a 4 door porsche?

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/11/88111/1280_6264613137386262.jpg

clyde
09-14-2006, 01:33 PM

But I have two kids...

In hindsight, over two years of living with an E46 wagon and an RX-8 with two children... Being able to put kids in the back of the RX-8 has only been a rarely used convenience. Once or twice, perhaps, not having a back seat in the RX-8 would have created a real issue, but somewhow, we would have found a work around. Based on that experience, dictating a back seat for such things based on a non-critical need averaging no more than once a year is silly, IMO. "Needing" two cars with back seats for a family of two parents and two children is no more of a real need than a soccer mom needing a Suburban.

TD
09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Yow, that shape just ain't right.

Somethings were just not meant to be. Granted, I would still consider a Porsche SUV to be greater blasphemy than a Porsche sedan. But...

TD
09-14-2006, 01:37 PM
In hindsight, over two years of living with an E46 wagon and an RX-8 with two children... Being able to put kids in the back of the RX-8 has only been a rarely used convenience. Once or twice, perhaps, not having a back seat in the RX-8 would have created a real issue, but somewhow, we would have found a work around. Based on that experience, dictating a back seat for such things based on a non-critical need averaging no more than once a year is silly, IMO. "Needing" two cars with back seats for a family of two parents and two children is no more of a real need than a soccer mom needing a Suburban.
Even if it's not critical to have a back seat with kids, I really don't want to be that limited. It's nice to be able to take a second or third passenger in a car you use as a daily driver.

Like I said, I'd be fine with a two-seater if it was a third car.

ZBB
09-14-2006, 01:38 PM

I know... that's the first spyshot I've seen... the earlier spy sketches really made it look like a 4-door cross between a 997 and updated 928 - and I really liked those.

IndyMike
09-14-2006, 01:40 PM
:+1

Perhaps maybe if the rear wing were a little bigger. :rolleyes:

TD
09-14-2006, 01:47 PM
I know... that's the first spyshot I've seen... the earlier spy sketches really made it look like a 4-door cross between a 997 and updated 928 - and I really liked those.
:+1

I recall those as well. Likely price aside, those pics really got me excited at teh idea.

This is awful.

JST
09-14-2006, 02:12 PM

Somethings were just not meant to be. Granted, I would still consider a Porsche SUV to be greater blasphemy than a Porsche sedan. But...

Looks like a G35--I think intentionally. The back is all cladding, so I think they've made it up to look like that. I think the "real" shape will be quite different.

equ
09-14-2006, 02:34 PM
That is most definitely not in my future. Here I'm at work and I can't stop thinking about the Cayman. Once I get into this obsessive state, there is only way out...

FC
09-14-2006, 02:37 PM

This is very true.

Still, it would be nice to have an "inexpensive" 3rd car that can fill a lot of small roles: back up car that can seat 4 in a pinch, a good commute car/back up winter, a car that can be left at a train station, parked in the city, etc - especially if I want to pamper the sportscar.

In that regard, my Saabaru is perfect for that, but it wont make sense to keep it for the 2-3 years until that scenario takes place, and instead of re-acquirign one, I'd rather keep my 330i as a 3rd car or get a Mini (to make the wife happy-always important).