PDA

View Full Version : 350z

equ
09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
:dunno: Experiences, opinions, rants? Considering 2006 model.

equ
09-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Allright, let me start it off. My search for a sportier replacement for the 330i continues. Drove an 03 and an 06 (roadster) this weekend...

03 was trashed, very buzzy, vibrating all over the place..

06 (roadster driven on a nice day). Very nice ride (expected harsher), more fun in turns (noticeably lower CG), didn't push beyond 6-7/10ths not sure if it will be as progressive as the zhp. Semi-fun in a straightline, did miss the 4000-6500 rpm rush of the bmw though the Z is stronger at bottom. Generally less hardcore than it looks or what I expected. Perhaps the weight is the culprit? Still snug & fun compared to the 330.

BTW, not shopping for a roadster but the car is very solid, comfy and quiet for those conv't shoppers (Zed, that means you. In fact the name of the car fits you as well).

Liked cloth interior. Not sure if I need VDC in this car (as the options are a bit complicated). Seems like a compromise car. The 06 is quiet and feels like a daily driver. The advantage it has over the porsches is peace of mind in NYC area.

Sharp11
09-05-2006, 01:14 PM
:dunno: Experiences, opinions, rants? Considering 2006 model.

Built on the Nissan corporate F platform, it's a bit on the heavy side (though solid as a brick).

Early models had a front suspension issue wrt toe in.

I understand the new cars have upgraded interiors.

A nice choice for the money.

Ed

rautox
09-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Your impressions match mine. It's not a small or light car. And even though I've seen them at just about every autox I've ever attended, I'm still struck by how large it looks.

My sister has an 04 roadster. It's been a very solid, trouble-free, and comfy dd for her family... even if the front end's an insufficiently-adjustable disappointment ;)

equ
09-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Sorry about the double post. Must have f'ed up while juggling work, email and multiple mozilla windows.

Sharp11
09-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Sorry about the double post. Must have f'ed up while juggling work, email and multiple mozilla windows.

I like the 350z coupes, but I'm not at all fond of the convertible - perhaps it's the fact that it's a coupe hacked into a convertible that puts me off, but the back end is a bit too bulky and ungainly - that and the extra weight.

Ed

Theo
09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
On another note. So do you think they will put the 07 G35 motor in the Z.

If it can lower the sedans 0-60 to 5.2 (C and D data) imagine what it can do for the Z. They might have to do something when thier family sedan can now smoke it's "sports car".

equ
09-08-2006, 09:27 AM
The z salesman was pretty cool. When I had to tell him that I wasn't seeing the 300hp coming from my 235hp, he smiled, said he had an 840ci growing up in the middle east and that while bmw's hp was horses, nissan's were ponies :lol:

JST
09-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Allright, let me start it off. My search for a sportier replacement for the 330i continues. Drove an 03 and an 06 (roadster) this weekend...

03 was trashed, very buzzy, vibrating all over the place..

06 (roadster driven on a nice day). Very nice ride (expected harsher), more fun in turns (noticeably lower CG), didn't push beyond 6-7/10ths not sure if it will be as progressive as the zhp. Semi-fun in a straightline, did miss the 4000-6500 rpm rush of the bmw though the Z is stronger at bottom. Generally less hardcore than it looks or what I expected. Perhaps the weight is the culprit? Still snug & fun compared to the 330.

BTW, not shopping for a roadster but the car is very solid, comfy and quiet for those conv't shoppers (Zed, that means you. In fact the name of the car fits you as well).

Liked cloth interior. Not sure if I need VDC in this car (as the options are a bit complicated). Seems like a compromise car. The 06 is quiet and feels like a daily driver. The advantage it has over the porsches is peace of mind in NYC area.

In line with what Sharp11 said, I've never seen the point of a 2 seat Z when you can get a G35c for basically the same money and have two (somewhat) usable seats.

IMHO, the Zs are also kind of awkward looking, since they are so big for a "sports car." And the trunk is ridiculous, with that huge strut bar in the way. I think the old 300Z worked a whole lot better.

Frankly, with not-so-old Boxsters running in the low 30s, if I were in the market for a 2 seat car I'd have a really tough time getting a Z over one of those.

equ
09-08-2006, 10:08 AM
In line with what Sharp11 said, I've never seen the point of a 2 seat Z when you can get a G35c for basically the same money and have two (somewhat) usable seats.

IMHO, the Zs are also kind of awkward looking, since they are so big for a "sports car." And the trunk is ridiculous, with that huge strut bar in the way. I think the old 300Z worked a whole lot better.

Frankly, with not-so-old Boxsters running in the low 30s, if I were in the market for a 2 seat car I'd have a really tough time getting a Z over one of those.

Umm, it's faster in a straightline and way more fun in the turns than the g35c. I personally also think it looks better and it has a real hatch (old soft spot) so these make up for the lack of rear seats. You can buy a new 06 base for about $26k at which point it is a great bargain (make mine white with carbon cloth). Put in a real LSD and you're done.

But if you do have the budget for german cars, it's hard to go from a bmw or porsche to the Z. When a slightly tuned 330 sedan is almost as sporty with a boatload more practicality...