PDA

View Full Version : Jeez, and I thought GT2s were fast.

John V
08-31-2006, 02:30 PM
http://caicos.globat.com/%7Egtc-motorsports.com/gallery/videos/2003-ra-cb-chickster/2003_ra_cb_chickster.mov

FC
08-31-2006, 03:07 PM
:D

iateyourcheese
08-31-2006, 03:11 PM
My first couple laps this weekend I went back and forth with an e30 325i. Gateway is run partly on the NASCAR oval, with the road course snaking through the infield. I'd pass the e30 easily on the oval but then he'd catch right back up on the twisty parts. :(

FC
08-31-2006, 03:17 PM
My first couple laps this weekend I went back and forth with an e30 325i. Gateway is run partly on the NASCAR oval, with the road course snaking through the infield. I'd pass the e30 easily on the oval but then he'd catch right back up on the twisty parts. :(

Hey, whatever. As long as you had fun and learned from it.:cool: I still can't believe I've not yet done a HPDE yet. :o

Maybe when I buy new summer tires next spring I will.:) Plus my car will be 4 years old by then and I wont have this voice telling me I'm an ass for tracking a "new car.":rolleyes:

iateyourcheese
08-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey, whatever. As long as you had fun and learned from it.:cool: I still can't believe I've not yet done a HPDE yet. :o

Maybe when I buy new summer tires next spring I will.:) Plus my car will be 4 years old by then and I wont have this voice telling me I'm an ass for tracking a "new car.":rolleyes:

There was a brand new Cayman S (Caveman, Detuned, whatever you want to call it) out there with the paper, temporary tag still on it. Beautiful car.

I learned so much it was ridiculous, as did my wife. Unfortunately, it seems doing the DE is going to end up costing a ton of money. The wife had so much fun she now wants a more track suited car of her own.

FC
08-31-2006, 03:29 PM
There was a brand new Cayman S (Caveman, Detuned, whatever you want to call it) out there with the paper, temporary tag still on it.

Wow.

My apprehension has more to do with the fact that I have no experience in a track than the concept of tracking a new car. But even with experience (speaking as a person with no experience:D ) I'd still be hesitant, I think. After all, a wall is a wall. :dunno:

iateyourcheese
08-31-2006, 03:51 PM
Wow.

My apprehension has more to do with the fact that I have no experience in a track than the concept of tracking a new car. But even with experience (speaking as a person with no experience:D ) I'd still be hesitant, I think. After all, a wall is a wall. :dunno:

I had no experience and it was raining like crazy, so I was rather hesitant as well. It didn't help that an IS300 went into a wall early in the day. The car was driveable but messed up pretty bad.

Would I do it again? I already have my money in for an event in October. ;) My wife has apparently been dreaming of doing laps around the track, so she's ready as well.

FC
08-31-2006, 03:59 PM
And in the people's republic of MA, no car insurance of any kind covers HPDE. It was put in effect a few years back.

of course, my info could be outdated, and there were some uproar, and this law in question was repealed, but I don't know for sure...

IIRC, the language in my policy rules out timed events, competitive events and driving/training in preparation for such events. So the HPDE loop hole is there, but I've never checked for sure.

FC
08-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Aren't you married to a lawyer?:cool:

Yes, but I've not bothered to have her go through it yet. :D I will the moment I get serious about signing up.

lemming
08-31-2006, 05:19 PM
I had no experience and it was raining like crazy, so I was rather hesitant as well. It didn't help that an IS300 went into a wall early in the day. The car was driveable but messed up pretty bad.

Would I do it again? I already have my money in for an event in October. ;) My wife has apparently been dreaming of doing laps around the track, so she's ready as well.

glad you enjoyed gateway!

that's where i learned lots and lots and lots of driving lessons at HPDEs with the BMW and Porsche car clubs.

that's the part about MO that i miss the most, actually. it's so easy to get access to that track.

i think it's a really enjoyable track to drive, personally. although it tends to blister the right front tires because of the high speed oval section, no?

gateway is also where i had a ride with Roland in the red F40. they invite fun people to chair their events. by all means, go to as many as you humanly have the time to do!

iateyourcheese
08-31-2006, 06:40 PM
glad you enjoyed gateway!

that's where i learned lots and lots and lots of driving lessons at HPDEs with the BMW and Porsche car clubs.

that's the part about MO that i miss the most, actually. it's so easy to get access to that track.

i think it's a really enjoyable track to drive, personally. although it tends to blister the right front tires because of the high speed oval section, no?

gateway is also where i had a ride with Roland in the red F40. they invite fun people to chair their events. by all means, go to as many as you humanly have the time to do!

I have no idea about the right front... probably wasn't going fast enough to worry about it.

The club people have mixed feelings about Gateway. Like you said, the track seems very easy to get time on, but it's surrounded by tons of concrete walls and tire barriers. So it's not very forgiving to any sort of off-track exploration.

lemming
08-31-2006, 09:16 PM
I have no idea about the right front... probably wasn't going fast enough to worry about it.

The club people have mixed feelings about Gateway. Like you said, the track seems very easy to get time on, but it's surrounded by tons of concrete walls and tire barriers. So it's not very forgiving to any sort of off-track exploration.

'cheese: i know.

i saw a horrible 993RS get too aggressive on the last run of the day on my first day ever there....it was in the S curves before the carousel (which enters the Oval) and it was SLAM into the wall there. my next trip to the track, i saw a car not brake early enough or well enough to make it into the infield and skittered into the wall (driver only, no instructor). i think the driver admitted to not giving the car some gas to settle the rear end after hard braking and then that nasty left hand turn.....WHAM.

John V
09-01-2006, 06:58 AM
What's an mov file? Is that some kind of Mac thing?:rolleyes: :ack:

It played in QT on my PC.

Are people supposed to get pissed because someone says something bad about their cars? Was I supposed to take this as a personal insult?:dunno:

:lol: Settle down, Beavis.