PDA

View Full Version : roadster (poll, input solicited)

lemming
08-28-2006, 11:44 AM
usual suspects, i think. 40k cap, i would also guess.

dan
08-28-2006, 11:59 AM
none of the above

ff
08-28-2006, 12:14 PM
I know that you probably wouldn't choose what I picked. But I would. :D

John V
08-28-2006, 01:14 PM
usual suspects, i think. 40k cap, i would also guess.

What does she want?

lemming
08-28-2006, 01:30 PM
What does she want?

the shifter of the miata with the power of the Z06 (just drove it this past weekend and pinned me in the damn seat accelerating from a tollbooth) and the looks of the boxster or solstice. all for under 40k.

in other words, damn near impossible. i hadn't realized what a good deal the pre-owned boxsters are, esp. only 2-3 years old. i think that'd be cool but you're right, it's not up to me. i know that i got in a lot of hassle for selling off the 993cab, though, so a 986 would be nice. and nicely depreciated, too, which is what i couldn't say so much about a GXP.

pre-owned s2000s are hard to find, too.

Rob
08-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Daily driver or weekend car?

John V
08-28-2006, 02:01 PM
I haven't driven the GXP but based on what people whose opinion I trust have been saying about the standard Solstice, the GXP is going to be really cool. The wonky top and lack of luggage space would force me to cross it off my list if I had to drive it every day (which I would).

The Boxster is great, but the shifter isn't the best, the interior isn't the best, and it will probably be more pricey to maintain than the other choices.

The S2000 is awesome, with performance and fun factor equal to the Boxster S, low price, great build quality, and excellent reliability (low cost of ownership). But it's not as civilized as the Boxster and doesn't have nearly the practicality.

C6 'Vette... if I didn't care about autocross, that's probably the one I'd have picked instead of my Boxster.

FC
08-28-2006, 02:26 PM
I would say either C6 'vert or Boxster depending on what she wants. I don't see her (or you) happy with an S2000 and I'd pick a C6 vert (if being considered) over a Solstice GXP.

lemming
08-28-2006, 02:31 PM
I would say either C6 'vert or Boxster depending on what she wants. I don't see her (or you) happy with an S2000 and I'd pick a C6 vert (if being considered) over a Solstice GXP.

as John alluded to before, it's not about me at all this time 'round.

:dunno:

lupinsea
08-28-2006, 04:31 PM
If those are my choices and it was me I'd be taking a very close look at the S2000. Based on past experience reliability is a larger factor for me these days than it used to be. . . and my friends' experiences with thier Boxsters indicate they'd be expensive cars to keep running.

I was really impressed with my friend's Boxster S (circa '01 I think), however. Very stable at speed, it seemed to have quite a punch at freeway speeds, etc. etc. etc.

Anybody hear anything about a Mazdaspeed MX-5? When it might be out, what it might bring to the table?

lemming
08-28-2006, 04:37 PM
are boxster maintenance costs that much higher than bmw M cars, for example?

i can't really fathom why they'd be that much more to maintain. there is nothing really exotic about the cars themselves. i know the earliest examples in the 1999 model year had some cooling issues, but other than that, i can't really think of something serious that could not be addressed pre-purchase, no?

John V
08-29-2006, 06:58 AM
are boxster maintenance costs that much higher than bmw M cars, for example?

i can't really fathom why they'd be that much more to maintain. there is nothing really exotic about the cars themselves. i know the earliest examples in the 1999 model year had some cooling issues, but other than that, i can't really think of something serious that could not be addressed pre-purchase, no?

The early Boxsters had reliability problems. The later ones seem to be dead-nuts reliable with a couple known problems (rear wheel bearings seem to die early and coolant expansion tanks occasionally explode) that are along the lines of typical BMW stuff.

lupinsea
08-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Hm. . . ok, that sounds better than my friends' experiences. And they both had earlier models. The guy who had the most problems has a 1998 base model Boxster. It seems like he's frequently in the shop and at one point wrote a letter to Porsche NA complaining that he thought the car was a lemon due to all the problems. They sent a letter back basically saying: screw you, you're out of warranty and you bought it used.

After listening to how much things like a clutch change costs, to a new set of brakes and such they seem like awfully expensive cars to keep up. An S2000 clutch change, by comparison, is 2-3 times less expensive.

Sharp11
08-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Looking at that list of under 40k cars (new), I'd be hard pressed not to go with an s2000.

If used is ok, I'd consider a Boxster or Z4, both cars are a step up in refinement (especially wrt convertible tops) and would probably make Lemming's wife a cheerier daily driver.

If it's just a weekend car, go the S2k route.

Ed

John V
08-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Hm. . . ok, that sounds better than my friends' experiences. And they both had earlier models. The guy who had the most problems has a 1998 base model Boxster. It seems like he's frequently in the shop and at one point wrote a letter to Porsche NA complaining that he thought the car was a lemon due to all the problems. They sent a letter back basically saying: screw you, you're out of warranty and you bought it used.

After listening to how much things like a clutch change costs, to a new set of brakes and such they seem like awfully expensive cars to keep up. An S2000 clutch change, by comparison, is 2-3 times less expensive.

I can see how a clutch change could be pricey, after all the motor has to be dropped. Then again, I haven't heard of anybody needing a clutch replacement before they're well past the 100k mile mark (I'm only talking "S" cars here). Doubt I'll have this car that long.

Brakes can be expensive. I did an entire brake job on my E36 M3 for $250 (pads, rotors and sensors all around). Rotors and pads all around would be around $800. :eek: But again, unless the car is tracked, they last a LONG time. My car has 34k on the original brakes and they don't appear worn at all.

lemming
08-29-2006, 01:33 PM
Looking at that list of under 40k cars (new), I'd be hard pressed not to go with an s2000.

If used is ok, I'd consider a Boxster or Z4, both cars are a step up in refinement (especially wrt convertible tops) and would probably make Lemming's wife a cheerier daily driver.

If it's just a weekend car, go the S2k route.

Ed

hi Ed.

yeah, that's about right. the Z4 is definitely on the list, but as some people have even stronger opinions about style than some of us, that really would have to knock socks off of 'people'.

to be honest with you, i myself would be leaning heavily toward a pre-owned boxster because there are several really excellent Porsche mechanics right outside of Boston that i trust (working with them before), so repairs might be less costly than what a dealer would do.

it's a big deal, though, to even pay that kind of money for a car that would need that sort of money constantly pouring into it, which is why the new car thing is a huge factor. the whole process is going to be a lot of fun because i really couldn't care less any which way.

SARAFIL
09-04-2006, 04:15 PM
pre-owned s2000s are hard to find, too.

I know the location of a beautiful 2005 with less than 5k miles.

ff
09-04-2006, 07:14 PM

Carmax always has a bunch too.

SARAFIL
09-04-2006, 08:24 PM

http://inskip.com/Preowned-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=14150675