PDA

View Full Version : Which set of cars would you choose?

JST
12-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Leases on both cars come up in the same month, meaning I get to replace both at the same time (though this is some ways off). I'm bored, though, so have been thinking about it.

Cost limitations are not set in stone, but any collection has to pass the wife won't laugh at me test.

Practicality is also elastic, but for the sake of argument I need at least one four door and both cars must have four seats.

Which grouping sounds best to you, and why?

--2005 Ford Mustang GT coupe & Audi S4

--Mini Cooper S & Audi A4 3.0 & 1988 Porsche Targa/1988 BMW M3

--Cadillac CTS-V & Mazda RX-8

--BMW M3 & Volvo S40 T5

EDIT: In just reviewing the list, I find that I have a very clear order of preference--not necessarily the order in which they appear.

The HACK
12-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Caddy & Mazda RX-8, especially after reading Clyde's glowing review.

Or I'd get a 330i with ZHP package and a 993 C2s, depending on how much $$$ you want to spend.

If you don't have the garage capacity to store all the cars, I wouldn't get more than what your garage can accomodate. I'm just beginning to find out how hard it is to keep the Z4 clean when it's parked outside ALL THE TIME. At least it rinses off easily.

FC
12-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Out of those pairs, I'd take the CTS-V/RX8 combo. I feel if you are going to have a heavy, high-powered, performance sedan, you should have something light and nimble to toss around.

I don't know much at all about the new Mustang, but if it somewhat light and nimble (I doubt this), then the GT/S4 combo would be a choice too.

That's just me. But I have a funny view on things.

JST
12-29-2003, 03:53 PM
Caddy & Mazda RX-8, especially after reading Clyde's glowing review.

Or I'd get a 330i with ZHP package and a 993 C2s, depending on how much $$$ you want to spend.

If you don't have the garage capacity to store all the cars, I wouldn't get more than what your garage can accomodate. I'm just beginning to find out how hard it is to keep the Z4 clean when it's parked outside ALL THE TIME. At least it rinses off easily.

LOL. And that's in California, for crying out loud.

Garages are not so common out here. I count myself lucky to have a one-car garage. :(

I am penciling 330 and 993 C2 in to my list.

Doug
12-29-2003, 05:22 PM
M3 & S40

dan
12-29-2003, 05:28 PM
So I'm clear...these 2 cars would be your household's complete collection?

Plaz
12-29-2003, 05:51 PM
Mini/Audi/Porsche

TD
12-29-2003, 06:32 PM
Mini/Audi/Porsche here too.

Putting the specific traits of the cars themselves aside, three cars are better than two. And this mix includes a P-car AND a Mini. Seems like a no-brainer.

clyde
12-29-2003, 07:06 PM
--2005 Ford Mustang GT coupe & Audi S4

--Mini Cooper S & Audi A4 3.0 & 1988 Porsche Targa/1988 BMW M3

--Cadillac CTS-V & Mazda RX-8

--BMW M3 & Volvo S40 T5

I'm torn. I'd probably go for the CTS-V/RX-8 combo, but I'd love to find a way to sneak in a GT and a Cooper S in as well.

SARAFIL
12-29-2003, 08:40 PM
M3 & S40

Yep...

Or #2, with a 330i replacing the A4 3.0

SpaceMonk
12-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Mini/Audi/Porsche

lemming
12-29-2003, 10:36 PM
i like the rx8 and cts-v combo; i am also guessing by then that the specific outputs of both cars will be increased.

:-)

nate
12-29-2003, 10:42 PM
I have no idea, never driven any of those.

Though, one E60 M5 would do anything and more than any car on that list. I know what you think of it though ;)

JST
12-29-2003, 11:18 PM
So I'm clear...these 2 cars would be your household's complete collection?

Yep.

Some mixing and matching is possible. CTS/Mini, for example. CTS/Mustang works, too, though two big American V8s might be too much.

My wife really likes the Audi, which is why the A4 3.0 gets the nod over the 330.

JST
12-29-2003, 11:22 PM
I have no idea, never driven any of those.

Though, one E60 M5 would do anything and more than any car on that list. I know what you think of it though ;)

The one thing it could never do, though, is be two cars, which is the minimum number we need.

In terms of emotional appeal, I rank them 1,3,2,4. The problem with 2 is that both the Cooper and the Porsche/M3 would be fun weekend/autox cars, and while the Audi would be nice as an all-arounder, it doesn't really do anything for me. Even though 1 and 3 only involve two cars, they have more karmic balance.

Four doesn't hold much appeal--I'm sort of been there, done that with the M3, and though logically I can't fault it as an all around car, I think it's time to move on.

ZHPhil
12-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Mini/Audi/Porsche here too.

Putting the specific traits of the cars themselves aside, three cars are better than two. And this mix includes a P-car AND a Mini. Seems like a no-brainer.
:cool:

The HACK
12-30-2003, 01:16 AM
There are a couple of cars you haven't considered yet.

Take a look at the 350Z or the G35 for a 2 door car, couple that with any of the 4 door alternatives and you've got yourself quite a combination.

350Z in Track trim may not be up to par with the later M3s in sheer performance numbers, but it's a very competent car on the track and it'll cost about 2/3rd of an M3.

For a 4 door I wouldn't look too far past an E39 540i 6 speed if you don't mind a used car.

JST
12-30-2003, 08:07 AM
There are a couple of cars you haven't considered yet.

Take a look at the 350Z or the G35 for a 2 door car, couple that with any of the 4 door alternatives and you've got yourself quite a combination.

350Z in Track trim may not be up to par with the later M3s in sheer performance numbers, but it's a very competent car on the track and it'll cost about 2/3rd of an M3.

For a 4 door I wouldn't look too far past an E39 540i 6 speed if you don't mind a used car.

Good points. I've actually got my eye on either the G35 4 door and the G35c as possible dark horses.

I like the 540 6 speed, and if I can find an 03 Sport with the revised suspension I might be tempted. I looked at those when I bought the M3, and decided that they were too big and floaty for me, given that I really don't need the extra space (yet). The CTS, when I eventually drive it, may be the same thing. OTOH, my need for space may change in the next couple of years, too.

lemming
12-30-2003, 05:57 PM
why the mini versus something like the RSX or civic si or mazdaspeed 3?

it's likely down to more than performance and cost --> ?

i dunno about the audi a4; if the valvetronic 330 comes in at 260hp, it's raised the bar all over again. hard to beat the overal competence of the 330 if it's that fast and still retains the handling prowess of the e46 when it comes as an e90.

what do you think?

JST
12-30-2003, 08:49 PM
why the mini versus something like the RSX or civic si or mazdaspeed 3?

it's likely down to more than performance and cost --> ?

i dunno about the audi a4; if the valvetronic 330 comes in at 260hp, it's raised the bar all over again. hard to beat the overal competence of the 330 if it's that fast and still retains the handling prowess of the e46 when it comes as an e90.

what do you think?

It's hard for me to justify an A4 over a 330 under any criteria, but this isn't logic--its aesthetic preference (not mine), and is a price to pay for having the two other cars.

OTOH, if the E90 looks like the 7 and the 5, I don't care how good the engine is. I won't drive a car that I can't stand to look at.

The Mini is the only vehicle in the class I would choose over another GTI 1.8T (or Jetta GLI, more likely). It's brilliant to drive in a way that the RSX just isn't. The 3 is intriguing, but my suspicion is that it won't have the crackle of the Mini and won't have the power of the 1.8T.