PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to NCC's June 18 Manassas Autocross

trentmw
06-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Signed up for my first autocross and bringing the M3. Anyone else going to be there to witness me crash and burn?

bren
06-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Not me.

A few of us will be at Ripken on the 17th.

John V
06-15-2006, 10:42 AM
I'm never running another event at that lot.

JST
06-15-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm signed up for it, second heat I think.

Hopefully the dumpsters will be there again this time.

bren
06-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm signed up for it, second heat I think.

Hopefully the dumpsters will be there again this time.
Get some better pictures this time :p

trentmw
06-15-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm in heat 1 car 107

clyde
06-15-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't think that I'm going to go spend a day in 90º+ weather at that place.

I will be running at Ripken on Saturday, though.

BahnBaum
06-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Ripken Saturday for me, but I've also joined the No MasManassas Club. Maybe I could deal with the smallness if I wasn't so far away, but I'm not sure about that.

Alex

trentmw
06-16-2006, 09:49 AM
So how do you guys really feel about the Manass course? It's only 15 min from my house which is nice, but from the sound of it I might not be going back a second time:dunno:

JST
06-16-2006, 09:58 AM
So how do you guys really feel about the Manass course? It's only 15 min from my house which is nice, but from the sound of it I might not be going back a second time:dunno:

With or without dumpsters?

These guys bitch and moan about it, but it's not that bad--it's just very tight and small. It's not worth a 2 hour drive, but it's worth a 15 minute drive.

BahnBaum
06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
With or without dumpsters?

These guys bitch and moan about it, but it's not that bad--it's just very tight and small. It's not worth a 2 hour drive, but it's worth a 15 minute drive.

Let's not forget that an e30 was damaged at an event last year; didn't it run into a polel?

Alex

Sharp11
06-16-2006, 10:47 AM

Eh, I don't know anything about the courses involved, but Clyde and John are experienced and hardened autox'er's, so pay no attention to them ;)

If this is your first event, arrive with an open mind and be prepared to have a fun day. You'll learn lots and eventually you can grumble about things of absolutely no import like lot sizes, heat, dumpsters etc..... :lol:

Ed

JST
06-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Let's not forget that an e30 was damaged at an event last year; didn't it run into a polel?

Alex

Yes, but that was serious driver error. How many cars have run into things at FedEx (at least two that I can think of)? Or at Ripken (one that I've seen a pic of)? Or at Rosecroft (again, at least two and maybe three that I can think of)?

If you drive bad enough (or are unlucky enough), you can hit something almost anywhere.

The course was designed at Manassass such that hitting that pole was the last thing I was worried about--had the driver not gotten lost on the track, he wouldn't have hit the pole, either.

bren
06-16-2006, 11:29 AM
My guess is that you'll take the e30 if you go again.

trentmw
06-16-2006, 12:18 PM
My guess is that you'll take the e30 if you go again.

I would have liked to take it this time, but I need to recenter the steering rack. Right now when I lock the wheel to the left it the tire catches the inner fender. Probably not the best thing for autoX

Nick M3
06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
dude, you'll never get near there. Even on an autox course. Even at man-asses.

John V
06-16-2006, 01:33 PM
The course was designed at Manassass such that hitting that pole was the last thing I was worried about--had the driver not gotten lost on the track, he wouldn't have hit the pole, either.

I'm glad you said that, I have taken a lot of heat for the design of that course and it's bugged me ever since that last event there. FWIW that incident has nothing to do why I won't go back there. The reason I won't go back is because every time we've used that lot the school has assured us it will be empty and it never has been. The lot is an OK size for an autocross if it is empty. You just can't expect to go as fast as you can at FedEx or even Ripken.

Agree with Nick, you won't see any full-lock steering at an autocross there. Unless you're WAY off course. :D