PDA

View Full Version : Boxster is history !!

Alan
06-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I just traded in the boxster today ... the car was just too small & uncomfortable. The drivers seat was pretty much torture for more than 15 minutes of driving. I was always trying to get comfortable ...

Interior build quality was the pits ... way too much plastic though I could have lived with it if I was in love with the way the car felt.

Anyway, I ended up getting a 2003 Corvette Convertible with 11,000 miles. It was my fathers car and he was getting a 06 Corvette coupe so we traded my Boxster in to the dealer, I gave him an additional $9k and his new car is now in my name.

BTW I know your gonna ask ... I got $26,400 for the Boxster as a trade in, I paid $25,600 + shipping which costs me about $1400 (or maybe it was $1600.) ...

rumatt
06-01-2006, 04:16 PM
I thought you liked the boxster!!!!!!

Sounds like a nice trade though.

Alan
06-01-2006, 04:53 PM
I thought you liked the boxster!!!!!!

Sounds like a nice trade though.

It's strange ... I never had this feeling for a car ... I liked the way the car felt for the first 15 minutes of driving it than I would get to the point where I just had enough ... I would start to get really uncomfortable so I would adjust the seat this way, then that way and no matter what I did I never got comfortable. I needed about 2 inches more of seat travel ... plus the noises my seat would make from being slammed back against the roll bar was annoying though I could have lived with it had it been more comfortable.

Today I was in it for about 2 hours and my legs are freakin aching ... I really want a car I am comfortable in ...

I think a 911 would fix most of the problem because it has a power seat and MUCH MORE leg room ...

It's not like I'm that big either ... one perfect thing about the 330 is comfort and driving postion are excellent

hfh330i
06-01-2006, 05:05 PM
I just traded in the boxster today ... the car was just too small & uncomfortable. The drivers seat was pretty much torture for more than 15 minutes of driving. I was always trying to get comfortable ...

Interior build quality was the pits ... way too much plastic though I could have lived with it if I was in love with the way the car felt.

Anyway, I ended up getting a 2003 Corvette Convertible with 11,000 miles. It was my fathers car and he was getting a 06 Corvette coupe so we traded my Boxster in to the dealer, I gave him an additional $9k and his new car is now in my name.

BTW I know your gonna ask ... I got $26,400 for the Boxster as a trade in, I paid $25,600 + shipping which costs me about $1400 (or maybe it was $1600.) ...

My business partner has a boxster, I always thought the interior was of lower quality than my e46; I guess I'm not alone.

FC
06-01-2006, 05:20 PM
My business partner has a boxster, I always thought the interior was of lower quality than my e46; I guess I'm not alone.

986/996 Porsches have terrible interiors. 987/997 have improved vastly in terms of quality.

lemming
06-01-2006, 06:40 PM
so how are you liking the smallblock v8 power, A?

i'm not a huge fan of the 986 interiors myself, but the cars drive well enough (IMO) to overcome that. but brand new, both the 996 and 986 did a lot of cost cutting on the interiors.

ZBB
06-01-2006, 07:03 PM

Before I got my e46 in '01, I was pretty certain that a Boxster would be my next car. Then I sat in one -- and I really couldn't believe how cheap it felt. Things like wobly switches were almost as bad a GM products.

rumatt
06-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Wow, I didn't know the boxter had interior quality issues. :dunno:

Alan
06-01-2006, 09:07 PM
986/996 Porsches have terrible interiors. 987/997 have improved vastly in terms of quality.

Even with an improved interior the room for a person has only changed slightly ... I'm only 5'10" so I think I ould still feel cramped in the ne boxster ... I test drove a few of them and it was better than mine but I was still up against the rear firewall.

I always try to keep an open mind but I think they need to make the boxster a little bigger ... at least interior wise.

John V
06-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Before I got my e46 in '01, I was pretty certain that a Boxster would be my next car. Then I sat in one -- and I really couldn't believe how cheap it felt. Things like wobly switches were almost as bad a GM products.

They're not anywhere CLOSE to as bad as a GM product. The few nits that I have to pick are: a turn signal stalk that has a "bend-SNAP" feel to its engagement, and the absolute lowest quality painted plastics (easily scratched) on the center console. Besides that, the whole thing is very very well screwed together and everything fits perfectly. Materials just aren't of the best quality. I find it amusing that a C5 Corvette is an upgrade, since that was one of the big reasons I couldn't buy myself a Corvette. Nothing fit, every "hard part" moved when touched, and the materials were made by Rubbermaid.

Bummer the Boxster didn't work out but a Corvette is a very excellent upgrade! :D :D

Alan
06-02-2006, 10:47 AM
They're not anywhere CLOSE to as bad as a GM product. The few nits that I have to pick are: a turn signal stalk that has a "bend-SNAP" feel to its engagement, and the absolute lowest quality painted plastics (easily scratched) on the center console. Besides that, the whole thing is very very well screwed together and everything fits perfectly. Materials just aren't of the best quality. I find it amusing that a C5 Corvette is an upgrade, since that was one of the big reasons I couldn't buy myself a Corvette. Nothing fit, every "hard part" moved when touched, and the materials were made by Rubbermaid.

Bummer the Boxster didn't work out but a Corvette is a very excellent upgrade! :D :D

The Boxster was a great car but was just too small and uncomfortable for me. My good friend who is 5'6" found it much more comfortable than I did.

As far as upgrade or downgrade I haven't looked at it in that regard. Being that you have the 'S' it is probably more of a lateral move in comparison.

I am sure you agree that the feel of each car is totally different, I would think that a person buying a Boxster is not even going to be looking at Corvette's and vica-versa. The Boxster communicates better IMO while the Corvette is more of a Luxo cruiser though it does have the ability to compete with Supercars plus the power is unfreakin believable ...