PDA

View Full Version : I guess the right deal fell into my lap

ff
06-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Received a call from my Lexus salesperson yesterday afternoon. Had an IS250 stick, sport package (18" wheels and performance tires this time) in stock... and it's the end of the month. Make me a deal I can't turn down.

This is a car that doesn't get discounted because there normally aren't any on the lot available for sale. But it's a stick, and again end of the month, so anything is fair game.

I test drove the car, and the proper tires really transform the car. It's not at all unlike the E90 325i SP that I drove 2 weeks prior. Brakes are very good, handling is crisp, and feel is also on-par with the 325. The tires make all the difference in the world, in this respect. I didn't beat the car up, but in normal driving the car is well planted, no noticeable body roll, yet absorbs bumps without a lot of the spine-jarring stiffness of the S.

Right off the top, they knock $1500 off the sticker. Car also had a set of $2200 stock chrome rims installed, but I didn't really want them. "Tell ya' what, I'll split the dealer cost with you. $1000/2 = $500 for the rims." Jeez, OK. I typically don't care for chrome rimz (yo!), but these look pretty damn good on a white car. That's another $1700 off the sales price. Lease rates still smell like a rotten gym sock, but they have acceptable finance rates, so we decided to just buy it.

One thing that I really like about going this route, is that so many of the things that BMW rapes you for, are standard on the Lexus. Leather seats, iPod hookup, bluetooth, metallic paint, real tires, comfort access, HID's, dual zone climate control, sunroof (not that I actually want the sunroof though), etc etc etc.

I'd been considering the E90 325i lately, but have been hesitant in pulling the trigger because of 1) Tired of the snobby dealerships and salespeople, 2) Tired of fighting to get the service department to fix something that requires fixing, and 3) I don't seem to have the best luck with reliability of BMW products. The Lexus experience is so much better in absolutely every respect, and that's definitely worth something.

Anyhow, the pics are crappy because it's early in the morning, and not enough room in the garage to get a decent shot. This weekend, I'll venture out and take some better ones.

zach
06-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Nice car! I hope you enjoy it for several years.

One thing that I really like about going this route, is that so many of the things that BMW rapes you for, are standard on the Lexus. Leather seats, iPod hookup, bluetooth, metallic paint, real tires, comfort access, HID's, dual zone climate control, sunroof (not that I actually want the sunroof though), etc etc etc.

Sunroof and dual zone are standard on the e90, unfortunately.

FC
06-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Congrats! I echo z's comments that you may enjoy it for some time.

bren
06-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Glad you found something that you can enjoy...

That's called having a choice. I'll never understand why anyone likes to have options/features forced on them. :rolleyes:

FC
06-01-2006, 08:46 AM
That's called having a choice. I'll never understand why anyone likes to have options/features forced on them. :rolleyes:

Product line simplification reduces manufacturing and logistic costs. Having choices comes at a cost. If you actually covet the equipment, then you end up ahead. Most (Lexus) people covet that equipment, so Lexus makes a lot of people happy.

An extreme example of course, is Porsche (crazy mark-ups nonwithstanding). $600 to cover your sun visors in leather, $300 to light up your foot wells.

...Ah, the power of choice.

ff
06-01-2006, 08:57 AM
Glad you found something that you can enjoy...

If it's stuff that you normally would've optioned for anyhow (leather, sunroof, etc), then being able to choose the options is still going to cost you far more. In this case, a stripper 325i w/ no options is still more expensive than the IS that already has all the "goodies".

JST
06-01-2006, 09:12 AM
How does the power in the IS250 compare with the 325?

bren
06-01-2006, 09:14 AM
If it's stuff that you normally would've optioned for anyhow (leather, sunroof, etc), then being able to choose the options is still going to cost you far more. In this case, a stripper 325i w/ no options is still more expensive than the IS that already has all the "goodies".
It's not stuff I would choose. :dunno:

rumatt
06-01-2006, 09:21 AM
If it's stuff that you normally would've optioned for anyhow (leather, sunroof, etc),

I sure don't want that stuff, and absolutey hate it when car manufactrers force me to get it.

In this case, a stripper 325i w/ no options is still more expensive than the IS that already has all the "goodies".

BMW's are more expensive. :dunno:

Nice car. Hope you it fits your needs. I assume the s2k is gone?

ff
06-01-2006, 09:25 AM
How does the power in the IS250 compare with the 325?

The IS250 seems to put power to the pavement better at lower RPMs. The broken-in 325 that I drove (9000 miles) took forever to rev, and didn't feel like it was doing anything until the tach swept up beyond 5000 RPM. My guess is that there's a real difference in gearing there. To really compare, I'd have to drive the two back-to-back though.

ff
06-01-2006, 09:27 AM
I assume the s2k is gone?

Sadly, yes. Kind of felt like giving up a child. Well, maybe not that bad. But I was (and still am) pretty bummed out.

dredmo
06-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Very sharp car!

I hope you get everything out of it that you want!

Plaz
06-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Congrats! Looking forward to your thoughts vs. the memory of your E46s.

clyde
06-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Right off the top, they knock $1500 off the sticker. Car also had a set of $2200 stock chrome rims installed, but I didn't really want them. "Tell ya' what, I'll split the dealer cost with you. $1000/2 = $500 for the rims." Jeez, OK. I typically don't care for chrome rimz (yo!), but these look pretty damn good on a white car. That's another $1700 off the sales price.

How does spending $500 on something that you didn't want translate to a $1700 savings? :scratch:

Edmunds TMV is about $850 below MSRP. If that's accurate, :dunno: it sounds like you did about $150 better (considering the extra $500 you spent on the wheels that you would have otherwise kept in your pocket).

HIDs are not standard on the IS250; they are included in the Sport Package. Same with the tires If "comfort access" means perforated leather seats, heated and ventilated seats, 3 position driver and passenger seat memory, outside electrochromatic mirrors with memory and reverse tilt, and rain sensing wipers, same...part of the Sport Package. Sunroofs are standard on the E90.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the car, but I guess I am looking forward to soon hearing about what hunks of junk Lexus vehicles are. ;)

bren
06-01-2006, 11:28 AM
HIDs are not standard on the IS250; they are included in the Sport Package. Same with the tires If "comfort access" means perforated leather seats, heated and ventilated seats, 3 position driver and passenger seat memory, outside electrochromatic mirrors with memory and reverse tilt, and rain sensing wipers, same...part of the Sport Package.

That's some Sport Package :ack:

ff
06-01-2006, 11:44 AM
clyde:
http://angstudio.com/blog/images/debbie_downer.jpg

Just because I wasn't willing to pay $2200 for the chrome wheels doesn't mean that I didn't save $1700 on them when all was said and done.

rumatt
06-01-2006, 11:46 AM
If you like the chrome wheels, cool. If you don't want them (which I wouldn't) you can probably sell them for a decent price, or swap for some stock wheels + cash.

clyde
06-01-2006, 11:56 AM
That's some Sport Package :ack:
Sport Package (since renamed Performance Package) on the RX-8 6MT is xenons, fog lights and DSC. :rolleyes:

clyde
06-01-2006, 11:58 AM
clyde:
http://angstudio.com/blog/images/debbie_downer.jpg

Just because I wasn't willing to pay $2200 for the chrome wheels doesn't mean that I didn't save $1700 on them when all was said and done.
I did say that you got a better than average deal (according to edmunds TMV, at least). :dunno:

ff
06-01-2006, 12:19 PM
I did say that you got a better than average deal (according to edmunds TMV, at least). :dunno:

I think the reality is that most people are paying within $500 of MSRP. Based on what I've seen on the Lexus message boards.

Rob
06-01-2006, 01:02 PM
The Lexus experience is so much better in absolutely every respect, and that's definitely worth something.

Is this statement based on personal knowledge of owning a Lexus in the past and dealing with service, etc.? Or are you just buying into the stereotype that is not necesarily deserved anymore? Just curious. ;)

Hope you love the car. I can't imagine getting rid of my car that I enjoy so much. I hope this car is somehow capable of replacing the S2000 in your favorite car list.

And Tell Clyde that for $500, you may not have saved $1700, but you can make a decent amount of money if you decide to trade those wheels for the non-chromed wheels plus cash. :D

JST
06-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Based on what I've seen on the Lexus message boards.

I love that there are Lexus message boards. What do they talk about? How to get more golf clubs into the trunk?

Nick M3
06-01-2006, 01:27 PM
I love that there are Lexus message boards. What do they talk about? How to get more golf clubs into the trunk?
They usually talk about how much they wish they had a BMW or a Mercedes.

ff
06-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Is this statement based on personal knowledge of owning a Lexus in the past and dealing with service, etc.? Or are you just buying into the stereotype that is not necesarily deserved anymore? Just curious. ;)

My limited personal experience, as well as my Uncle's, who has owned a Lexus or two for the past 5 years. Could be that this dealership that we're both using is better than most? Not sure. In any case, I'm very pleased with the service and personal attention so far. It's been a much better experience than I've ever had with BMW or Honda.

:lol: Much of the discussion is about purchasing different rimz (yo!) and tires (the younger crowd) which I avoid, and others asking about problems, resolutions, upgrades. Much like what we see at Bimmerfest. Same personality types... just a different nameplate.

Plaz
06-01-2006, 02:03 PM
:lol: Much of the discussion is about purchasing different rimz (yo!) and tires (the younger crowd) which I avoid, and others asking about problems, resolutions, upgrades. Much like what we see at Bimmerfest. Same personality types... just a different nameplate.

I always thought IS300.net was more of an E46Fanatics type crowd than a BFest crowd. Carbon fiber hood replacements, blowers, big fartcan exhausts, etc. :dunno:

ff
06-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I always thought IS300.net was more of an E46Fanatics type crowd than a BFest crowd. Carbon fiber hood replacements, blowers, big fartcan exhausts, etc. :dunno:

I don't hang out on that one :)

lemming
06-01-2006, 02:31 PM
that's cool.

you're going to have to let me know how you like that car.

:D

Rob
06-01-2006, 03:39 PM

Have you been to bimmerfest lately? :eeps:

Alan
06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Congrats on the new car ... give us more details ... how much was the Lexus and how much did you get for the S2000 ..

What are the specs on the S2000 (yr/miles) ?

I think the New IS is a really great looking car ... the more I see it the more i like it. In a few months you can give us a good write up of it so we know how it compares to the other cars you've had !!!

Plaz
06-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Have you been to bimmerfest lately? :eeps:

: ohsnap: :lol:

ed328ci
06-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Congrats. What do you think of the back seat and trunk? Those were deal breakers for me.

Ed

ff
06-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Congrats. What do you think of the back seat and trunk? Those were deal breakers for me.

Ed

They're not large, but they're big enough for 2 young kids (which is all we'll need for this vehicle).

Alan
06-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Congrats on the new car ... give us more details ... how much was the Lexus and how much did you get for the S2000 ..

What are the specs on the S2000 (yr/miles) ?

I think the New IS is a really great looking car ... the more I see it the more i like it. In a few months you can give us a good write up of it so we know how it compares to the other cars you've had !!!

Hello ? ?

Alan
06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Hello ? ?

Was this question too personal :dunno: ?

I was exactly asking for a tax return though you could give them as well if you want ;) :D

ff
06-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Sorry about that, AF. Not sure how I missed your post.

Received $22K for the S2000 on trade-in (2004 w/ 20K miles on it), and paid $1500 under MSRP for the Lexus.

I'll be doing a full writeup on the IS250, for sure. Maybe in a week or two. The main thing right now is getting used to the car, getting past break-in period, etc.

ff
06-16-2006, 05:12 PM

[snicker] :lol:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222243

Plaz
06-16-2006, 05:27 PM
[snicker] :lol:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222243

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JST
06-16-2006, 06:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Excellent...I could not tell from looking at the trunk...I knew it might be tight...This is good and important news!

Don't ya just hate people asking the same old questions...

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=golf+clubs

:rolleyes:

Alan
06-20-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't get the humor in this :dunno: