PDA

View Full Version : New VW models--R32, GLI and V10 Touareg--at NAIAS

JST
12-22-2003, 03:57 PM
VWvortex is reporting some interesting new VW models will be introduced at NAIAS.

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/volkswagen_news/article_550.shtml

Of interest are the new Jetta GLI, which is essentially the 337 GTI suspension/tire package in a 1.8T 6 speed Jetta. Nice, and I so dig those BBS RCs. This may now be one of the best all-around mid-price performance sedans available.

Also, the R32 pricing is set at $29,100. This is a very intriguing car, even given that it is matched in terms of price and slaughtered in terms of performance by the Evo and STi.

Last, the V10 Touareg is official for the US market, but pricing is 57 and change--not cheap.

TD
12-22-2003, 04:08 PM
I don't know why, but that R32 really appeals to me.

:?

JST
12-22-2003, 04:19 PM

I can come up with any number of reasons why I viscerally prefer the R32 to the (on paper) superior Evo. Some of them, like the fact that's it's NA and a hatchback (and thus more useful) are even rational. But in the end I think it comes down to the feel of the VW. For the kind of driving I do, I'd rather have the iron fist/velvet glove feel that the R32 almost certainly possesses rather than the buzz-bomb effect of the Evo. The R32 I could imagine as a trip car--the Evo, not so much.

Sell those nasty many-spoke wheels and put on the 337/GLI wheels and you are :cool:.

OTOH, in this price category, the RX-8 seems pretty hard to top. But the R32 does have AWD and can carry furniture.

Our cups continue to runneth over.

TD
12-22-2003, 04:32 PM

I can come up with any number of reasons why I viscerally prefer the R32 to the (on paper) superior Evo. Some of them, like the fact that's it's NA and a hatchback (and thus more useful) are even rational. But in the end I think it comes down to the feel of the VW. For the kind of driving I do, I'd rather have the iron fist/velvet glove feel that the R32 almost certainly possesses rather than the buzz-bomb effect of the Evo. The R32 I could imagine as a trip car--the Evo, not so much.

Sell those nasty many-spoke wheels and put on the 337/GLI wheels and you are :cool:.

OTOH, in this price category, the RX-8 seems pretty hard to top. But the R32 does have AWD and can carry furniture.

And I suspect the R32 would make a fine commuter as well.

But we already have one car too many.

JST
12-22-2003, 04:35 PM

And I suspect the R32 would make a fine commuter as well.

But we already have one car too many.

In contrast, I am trying to convince the SO of the wisdom of adding a 3rd car to the fleet. Or, should I say, "wisdom." But that would likely necessitate ditching the M3 in favor of something cheaper. The R32, I can't help but notice, is cheaper.

OTOH, I don't want to be the dork with two Golfs.

clyde
12-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Didn't they have a blue R32 at NAIAS last time?

You all know where I put my money. :D

clyde
12-22-2003, 05:15 PM
In contrast, I am trying to convince the SO of the wisdom of adding a 3rd car to the fleet. Or, should I say, "wisdom." But that would likely necessitate ditching the M3 in favor of something cheaper. The R32, I can't help but notice, is cheaper.

What would the third car be? Does it start with a "C" and end with a "-V"?

JST
12-22-2003, 10:11 PM

No, that's if I can't work a third car. That (or an S4) would have to be 1 of 2.

The third would either start with "P" and end in "e," or start with "M" and end with "3." :paranoid:

dan
12-22-2003, 10:24 PM

must be the 18" wheels :eek:

clyde
12-22-2003, 10:49 PM

must be the 18" wheels :eek:

That's what sold me on the RX-8. :dunno:

clyde
12-22-2003, 10:57 PM
But that would likely necessitate ditching the M3 in favor of something cheaper. The R32, I can't help but notice, is cheaper.

No, that's if I can't work a third car. That (or an S4) would have to be 1 of 2.

The third would either start with "P" and end in "e," or start with "M" and end with "3." :paranoid:

Okay, then. I guess that I'm failing to see why an R32 would have to be a third car. Why not just replace wife's current Golf with this "better" one? Then you can put off the 3 car issue until the m3 lease runs out and you find that you can't decide between a new Mustang and C6. So, you get the CTS-V as a stopgap to tide you over until the new SVT Mustang goes on sale. :evil: