PDA

View Full Version : Proof that Connecticut rots clyde's brain

clyde
12-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Last night I was reading about the Porsche Cayenne V6 and found myself thinking about the horrible resale the current V8 models have been suffering. Then, before I knew it, I realized that I was thinking about what a used 2004 Cayenne V6 might cost two years from now. :speechle: :nono: :roll: Of course, I would cross shop with used V8 Touaregs, but still.

I never would have thought this in any place other than my mother in law's house. Proof that Connecticut rots clyde's brain.

JST
12-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Last night I was reading about the Porsche Cayenne V6 and found myself thinking about the horrible resale the current V8 models have been suffering. Then, before I knew it, I realized that I was thinking about what a used 2004 Cayenne V6 might cost two years from now. :speechle: :nono: :roll: Of course, I would cross shop with used V8 Touaregs, but still.

I never would have thought this in any place other than my mother in law's house. Proof that Connecticut rots clyde's brain.

Say 20 Our Fathers, 20 Hail Marys, and when you return to MD, make sure to take a nice, long drive in the RX-8.

clyde
12-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Say 20 Our Fathers, 20 Hail Marys, and when you return to MD, make sure to take a nice, long drive in the RX-8.

Well, I'm not sure how much that will help...I'm thinking of tow vehicle for the RX-8 after turbo and other stuff and/or Cobra once built. :dunno:

blee
12-21-2003, 10:22 PM
Some people will do anything to get into a Porsche. I think this is not one of those cars. :p I would get into a Murano or FX35 first.

clyde
12-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Some people will do anything to get into a Porsche. I think this is not one of those cars. :p I would get into a Murano or FX35 first.

I'd rather buy a rusted out 914 to "get into a Porsche." My logical side says that the VW would be as good for what I may want, but if it's possible that the Porsches may depreciate to the point where they are less expensive... :dunno:

JST
12-21-2003, 10:56 PM

Well, I'm not sure how much that will help...I'm thinking of tow vehicle for the RX-8 after turbo and other stuff and/or Cobra once built. :dunno:

If you just want a tow vehicle, get a Lightning. New, they'll be cheaper than any vintage Cayenne will be in the next several years, and slightly used they're a screaming bargain.

blee
12-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Better yet, get a vehicle with a longer wheelbase for towing. Towing something close to your truck's limits is no fun.

This is where clyde would tell me to live a little, but I would rather just have an easier time towing something than entertaining myself with the joyful possibility of a wreck. ;) I would rather go after a used Tahoe-platform vehicle for towing purposes.

clyde
12-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Better yet, get a vehicle with a longer wheelbase for towing. Towing something close to your truck's limits is no fun.

Tow rating of 7700+ lbs for a ~3000lb car is close to the limits? (my ignorance may be showing here)

clyde
12-21-2003, 11:14 PM
If you just want a tow vehicle, get a Lightning. New, they'll be cheaper than any vintage Cayenne will be in the next several years, and slightly used they're a screaming bargain.

That's an idea.

blee
12-21-2003, 11:43 PM
7700 lbs is probably fine, actually. Your car is about 3000 lbs as you say, a trailer will probably run you half a ton, and just throw in some extra weight in accessories and other random stuff. Even then, I have heard some very scary stories about people who tow longish trailers (like those used for cars) with short-wheelbase vehicles. You run the risk of having the trailer drive you around, and trailer sway can be a real issue, although there are devices out there that handle the issue to some extent. I wouldn't mind doing it on occasion, but for regular tow duty I think you'd be happier with a heavier-duty tow vehicle. You'd also want to look into airbag-equipped rear suspensions, or similar technologies used to help level the rear when you'd got a trailer weighing it down.