PDA

View Full Version : Nick, when's the next race?

scottn2retro
05-04-2006, 02:21 AM
What's your next event?

We take a break until July 8/9

Nick M3
05-04-2006, 03:26 AM
Probably August at Summit - I should have a tow vehicle then, and I'll be doing a few more this fall.

ff
05-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Are your race events pretty much an all-day (weekend?) thing? Between all the prep, inspections, racing, etc?

Nick M3
05-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Are your race events pretty much an all-day (weekend?) thing? Between all the prep, inspections, racing, etc?
They're a 3-4 day thing for the most part. Friday practice (doesn't always happen), Saturday, Sunday. Then throw in getting there and back.

Pinecone
05-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Nice thing about arrive and drive of your own car. No tow time. :) Drive to and from in an M3 at speed. :)

I have to write up last weekend for TeamWTF.org

scottn2retro
05-06-2006, 01:38 AM

A lot of ours are just Saturday/Sunday and if the track is close enough, I can tow on Friday night, get to the track first thing on Saturday and roll out the car ready to go (well, that's always the plan - execution is another matter :D ) That last sentence gives the impression of driving all night to be at the track on Saturday morning - and I've done that - but in this case, I mean towing to the track city, sleep at hotel and be at the track on Saturday morning. In the cases of Fontana and Willow Springs, I've actually gotten up early in the morning and towed to the track that morning.

But races are won in the weeks between races back at the garage/shop. So it's hard to measure the actual amount of time put into being successful on any given weekend. 7-14 days?

kognito
05-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Nick, what kind of tow vehicle you looking for?

Pinecone
05-06-2006, 11:12 AM
A lot of ours are just Saturday/Sunday and if the track is close enough, I can tow on Friday night, get to the track first thing on Saturday and roll out the car ready to go (well, that's always the plan - execution is another matter :D ) That last sentence gives the impression of driving all night to be at the track on Saturday morning - and I've done that - but in this case, I mean towing to the track city, sleep at hotel and be at the track on Saturday morning. In the cases of Fontana and Willow Springs, I've actually gotten up early in the morning and towed to the track that morning.

But races are won in the weeks between races back at the garage/shop. So it's hard to measure the actual amount of time put into being successful on any given weekend. 7-14 days?

Other nice thing, the shop takes are of between session and between event stuff. :)

Racing costs time and money, and in many cases you can trade one for the other. Racing = Time x Money, you cna decrease the time involvment, but at a higher dollar cost, or vice versa. Something for everyone.

Also designed for racing cars tend to have lower between event maintenance than racing cars made from production cars.

Nick M3
05-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Nick, what kind of tow vehicle you looking for?
'00-'01 Suburban. I'm afraid that my budget will not stretch to, say, your truck. Much as I'd like it to. :)

BahnBaum
05-06-2006, 09:13 PM
'00-'01 Suburban. I'm afraid that my budget will not stretch to, say, your truck. Much as I'd like it to. :)

Stepped up from the Tahoe, huh?

Alex

scottn2retro
05-07-2006, 05:48 PM

What kind of trailer?

I have the '04 Suburban 1/4 ton with the small engine, better fuel mileage diff. (can't remember the ratio), but it does have tow package.

It's doing fine so far - I like it. But we are definitely at the limit - a 24 ft. aluminum inclosed trailer (Featherlite) with a 3000 lb. race car and stuff. If the trailer was wood, we couldn't do it (not safely anyway). As it is, I have to keep the speeds at 75 mph or less or I can really get the tail wagging the dog. :)

And away from the track, it's the most economical version of the Suburban, which can haul people or stuff.

Nick M3
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Open trailer, 16' deck (i.e. the minimum size I can possibly obtain thanks to parking contraints). I figure that I *ought* to be solidly OK with that.

scottn2retro
05-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Open trailer, 16' deck (i.e. the minimum size I can possibly obtain thanks to parking contraints). I figure that I *ought* to be solidly OK with that.

Then no problem, even with the wimpiest 2WD Suburban model out there, as long as it has tow package (or you put an equivalent one on). I used a 16' open trailer once and on the highway, I could barely tell I was pulling anything.

Nick M3
05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Then no problem, even with the wimpiest 2WD Suburban model out there, as long as it has tow package (or you put an equivalent one on). I used a 16' open trailer once and on the highway, I could barely tell I was pulling anything.
Now, that's good to hear! :D

scottn2retro
05-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Now, that's good to hear! :D

After a race at PIR (West side of Phoenix), using an open trailer, the Suburban full of stuff and 2 people, I towed from PIR to Huntington Beach on one tank of gas :D

Nick M3
05-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Hehehehe. :D

Is it bad that I'm excited that you got 12MPG on the highway?

scottn2retro
05-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Hehehehe. :D

Is it bad that I'm excited that you got 12MPG on the highway?

Well, I was doing about 75 mph :D