PDA

View Full Version : Mazdaspeed Miata specs, website released

JST
12-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Look here:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomingMazdaspee dMiata

Key bits: turbo, air to air intercooler, 178 hp, 166 lbs-ft at 4500 RPM, LSD, and various suspension mods. Only available in grey and red.

Looks like a neat package.

ARCHER
12-19-2003, 09:39 PM

It really does.

You know, I have never driven a Miata. But having read its accolades for years, I honestly almost feel guilty about it. The funny thing is, I was dead-set on buying one ten years ago and obviously never did.

JST
12-19-2003, 09:52 PM

It really does.

You know, I have never driven a Miata. But having read its accolades for years, I honestly almost feel guilty about it. The funny thing is, I was dead-set on buying one ten years ago and obviously never did.

You really should drive one. I drove a very ratty 91 the other day, and even in the sorry state that car was in (shocks basically gone, bushings shot, etc), it reminded me how much fun that car is to drive. My big complaint was always that it just needed a bit more power--this looks like it will solve that problem nicely.

Only problem is price--given the way Miatae are priced these days, this thing is likely to cost as much or more than a nicely set up RX-8.

ARCHER
12-19-2003, 10:11 PM
You really should drive one. I drove a very ratty 91 the other day, and even in the sorry state that car was in (shocks basically gone, bushings shot, etc), it reminded me how much fun that car is to drive. My big complaint was always that it just needed a bit more power--this looks like it will solve that problem nicely.

Only problem is price--given the way Miatae are priced these days, this thing is likely to cost as much or more than a nicely set up RX-8.

It is on my list of to-do's.

Even if the sticker does equall or better the RX-8, it is reassuring to see a car company build the kind of cars we all like to drive. Honestly, I think the two can coexist under the Mazda badge without an intolerable amount of market crossover.

clyde
12-19-2003, 10:11 PM

It really does.

My big complaint with the Miata is that more than 20 minutes in it and I'm in pain. A '91 might still be in my autocrossing future though...

ARCHER
12-19-2003, 10:30 PM

It really does.

My big complaint with the Miata is that more than 20 minutes in it and I'm in pain. A '91 might still be in my autocrossing future though...

I don't think I could consider one as anything past a 3rd, "fun" car. Like I'm in any kind of position to consider another fun car now...

lemming
12-19-2003, 11:43 PM
two thoughts:

1. you guys are right. one of the problems is that it will cost more than an rx8 (typical price). OUCH.

2. it will be interesting how the turbo miata compares to the z4 3.0 in all performance parameters.

blee
12-20-2003, 01:02 AM
Old Miatas are great performance bargains these days. They are quite reliable, and there's plenty of aftermarket for all variations. I would think about supercharging an older Miata to remedy the power issue. Sure, it would no longer be in a stock atucorossing class...but it sure would be fun.

Hell, at this point, I wouldn't even be afraid to get a Miata in need of engine work. As long as the current project rolls out of the garage mostly intact.

clyde
12-20-2003, 01:58 AM
two thoughts:

1. you guys are right. one of the problems is that it will cost more than an rx8 (typical price). OUCH.

2. it will be interesting how the turbo miata compares to the z4 3.0 in all performance parameters.

There's a lot of guys around here with FI Miatas, and the general consensus is that they basically become Miatas on coke and crank. Sounds fun to me.

Roadstergal
12-20-2003, 02:10 AM
Oh, man, if you've only driven a Miata with a shot suspension, you're missing out.

Miatas on crack? You bet. The engines were made to be turboed - they have very strong walls and valve springs, and oil jets cooling the bottom of the pistons...

Here's what Flyin' Miata did with a 1.8 and their stroker 2.0 Track Dog (the 1.8 on 91 octane). They sell bolt-on turbo kits for both 1.6s and 1.8s.

Dyno (http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno_runs/pokee_vs_trackdog.pdf).

Although NA mods can get them up pretty high; a local guy has his 1.6 running almost 130RWHP without forced induction (stock, they turn 116 at the crank).

JST
12-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Oh, man, if you've only driven a Miata with a shot suspension, you're missing out.

No, that was just my most recent experience. My mother had a '96 1.8 back in the day; I used to borrow it every chance I got. I've never driven one with the upgraded suspension, but even the base suspension is something else. That car is really just a blast to drive; I'd buy a FI Miata loooong before I bought an S2K.

JST
12-20-2003, 11:57 AM
two thoughts:

The MSRP on a Miata LS with 6 speed, Blisteins and ABS is 27 and change. Figure that the FI model will be a minimum of 1500 and probably more like 2500 more--I'd guess that just under 30K (29,XXX) would be where they'd peg it.

In terms of fun small cars, an MCS would be hard to pass up for 8K less, and an RX-8 would probably be just as fun, just as fast, and more practical. Another alternative would be the Flyin' Miata kit applied to a $7K 96 or 97.

My guess is that the Miata is slightly slower than a Z4 3.0 in a straight line--probably about 6 seconds to 60. But I'd take the somewhat overpriced Miata every day over the horrifically overpriced and terrifyingly ugly Z4.

lemming
12-20-2003, 10:18 PM
two thoughts:

The MSRP on a Miata LS with 6 speed, Blisteins and ABS is 27 and change. Figure that the FI model will be a minimum of 1500 and probably more like 2500 more--I'd guess that just under 30K (29,XXX) would be where they'd peg it.

In terms of fun small cars, an MCS would be hard to pass up for 8K less, and an RX-8 would probably be just as fun, just as fast, and more practical. Another alternative would be the Flyin' Miata kit applied to a $7K 96 or 97.

My guess is that the Miata is slightly slower than a Z4 3.0 in a straight line--probably about 6 seconds to 60. But I'd take the somewhat overpriced Miata every day over the horrifically overpriced and terrifyingly ugly Z4.

i think that it will depend on gearing, but i would say that the turbo miata will go in about 5.7 seconds. want to bet something? i have no idea, but i WANT it to be that fast.

The HACK
12-20-2003, 10:28 PM

Two words...Chasis RIGIDITY. Heck you'd need a full on roll cage on the Miata to make the Miata as stiff as the Z4.

Do you know the Z4 is stiffer than even the E46 coupes? :twisted:

Anyway, I guess the Z4 isn't for everyone...Just wait until I slap the Schnitzer supercharger package on it, with Schnitzer aerodynamics. I'll be running and gunning down yellow 996 Turbos in no time. :paranoid:

lemming
12-20-2003, 10:34 PM

Two words...Chasis RIGIDITY. Heck you'd need a full on roll cage on the Miata to make the Miata as stiff as the Z4.

Do you know the Z4 is stiffer than even the E46 coupes? :twisted:

Anyway, I guess the Z4 isn't for everyone...Just wait until I slap the Schnitzer supercharger package on it, with Schnitzer aerodynamics. I'll be running and gunning down yellow 996 Turbos in no time. :paranoid:

i'll bet the z4 3.0 nurburgring time (if we can dredge it up) is fast.

The HACK
12-20-2003, 10:49 PM
i'll bet the z4 3.0 nurburgring time (if we can dredge it up) is fast.

I dunno, funny they haven't run the Z4 on the ring for some timed laps.

It would a) be faster than a 330iZHP (if they have that No.) b) slower than the E46 M3. What really hurts the Z4's abilities on big tracks, is it's aerodynamics. Coefficient of drag is somewhere north of .30, closer to .35 I think. As a comparison, I think the E46 M3 Cd is about .31 and the new 645Ci Cd is around .29.

lemming
12-20-2003, 11:01 PM
hackernaut:

the M coupe and M roadster were still in the low to mid 8:20's and those handled far worse and had even worse aerodynamics.

so if they boosted the HP on the z4 to 260-280, it would be an absolute screamer.

expensive, but a screamer.

(elise and turbo miata are still likely more tossable).