PDA

View Full Version : Sell, hold, or replace the ZHP?

FC
04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Prompted by the ZHP thread and a week at my new job, I had the chance to have my wife hostage on the drive back from Montreal tonight. The facts are simple:

-I can count in one hand the times in the last year when both our cars have been used simultaneously.

-I can ride my bicycle to work if need be (heck, I could run to work:rolleyes: ). 3 miles to work.

-I drop off my wife at the train station every morning and pick her up at night. 1.5 miles to the train station.

-I keep saying to myself that I'll drive the 330i on weekends, but the truth is that prior to my new work, I NEVER drove my 330i on weekends because we are always shopping for something for the house or going somewhere I don't trust leaving the 330i parked.

-Right now I just don't have the time to AutoX, track, etc.

So... I can sell my 330i take the equity to pay off the Saabaru and save $950 a month (600 330i & 350 Saabaru) plus ~$1K in 330i insurance a year.

This is not driven by us needing the money, but rather knowing the 330i is going to be parked most of the time and we could always use the money to fix the house sooner.

Regardless, the 1-car thing will end hopefully within 1-2 years when we have a child. My wife will need a family car while she is home, and depending on how having a child affects things financially, we will decide what kind of car to get as a 2nd car.

Is this insane? Will I regret this?:dunno:

Wife suggested trading Saabaru as well for a larger/better wagon, but I think the current 9-2X will do until/if we have a child.

Thoughts?

OT: BTW, I just "can't" surf the web at my new job, so I'm down to early in the am or after work and maybe lunch time ...like normal people, I guess.:eeps: :D

zach
04-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I like your car, but a Cayman is much much cooler. If you value frequent visits from zach, I advise selling the 330i and getting a Cayman.

Zach

FC
04-16-2006, 09:46 PM
I like your car, but a Cayman is much much cooler. If you value frequent visits from zach, I advise selling the 330i and getting a Cayman.

Zach

:D I may very well sell the 330i and end up with a Cayman/Boxster, but there would be a year or two in between the two events.

rumatt
04-16-2006, 10:10 PM
I had the chance to have my wife hostage on the drive back from Montreal tonight.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If your wife ever met mine, they would be able to commiserate.

I hope I didn't lead you down this waffling all based on my post. ;)

In general, I'm game for buying and holding cars. But I'm also game for saving money. You'll get some enjoyment out of keeping the ZHP longer, but what if it ditching the ZHP now means you can afford the Cayman in 4 years from onw instead of 8? Is having a ZHP garage queen now worth delaying your Cayman?

Now.. what are the specs on your ZHP again? :eeps:

lemming
04-16-2006, 10:14 PM

In general, I'm game for buying and holding cars. But I'm also game for saving money. You'll get some enjoyment out of keeping the ZHP longer, but what if it ditching the ZHP now means you can afford the Cayman in 4 years from onw instead of 8? Is having a ZHP garage queen now worth delaying your Cayman?

what he wrote.

i am starting to feel the same way about my vehicle(s). i'm probably going to unload 1 (OR 2) this summer and get into something cheap and disposable.

bren
04-16-2006, 10:21 PM
Personally I'd keep the BMW and dump the Saabaru. Granted I've never spent much time with one but I have to believe the BMW is an incredibly more gratifying car to drive. Stop treating it like a museum piece and just drive it.

lemming
04-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Personally I'd keep the BMW and dump the Saabaru. Granted I've never spent much time with one but I have to believe the BMW is an incredibly more gratifying car to drive. Stop treating it like a museum piece and just drive it.

i dunno.

mortgage. student loan debt (under/over-grad). for a fiscal conservative, some things outweigh others. after all, one driver the separates many subclasses of society socioeconomically is often the ability to delay instant gratification.

if there is a goal, it's not a bad plan. even if it's just to decrease unnecessary burn rate, it's not a bad plan. but the plan is even better if it accelerates the countdown to a really gratifying car to drive.

FC
04-16-2006, 10:31 PM

LOL. No, you did not lead me down this path. I thought of this as soon as I knew my current job was interested in me (over a month ago).

FWIW...

2003 BMW 330i
-Took European Delivery on May 15 2003 (warranty runs from that day).
- ~41000
-Performance Package, Moonroof, heated seats, Bi-Xenon, Aluminum cube trim, Imola Red paint
-Manual transmission, Alcantara interior (new alcantara wheel)
-M68 wheels (in very good shape) for winter with 225/45 R17 LM-22's all around.
-Icelink installed, heavy duty front rubber mats.
-One cracked foglight, one small dent above fuel cap, one small nick on a spoke on the M135 rear/right wheel. Other than that it is in pretty damned good shape for a car with 41K miles. No issues at all. (Rear) tires are pretty worn.
-Oil changed (BMW oil/filter) every 7500 miles.
-Never tracked, 4 Autoxes. Still great even at high speeds on original alignment. Virtually no strut tower deformation.

FC
04-16-2006, 10:38 PM

No car is gratifying to drive cold for 5 minutes, IMO. I don't have the time to drive for the sake of driving.

Now, I could say dump both cars and get a 5MT 325xi, or something, but it's not worth the effort, I don't think. Anyway, I'm still thinking it over.

FC
04-16-2006, 10:40 PM
i dunno.

mortgage. student loan debt (under/over-grad). for a fiscal conservative, some things outweigh others. after all, one driver the separates many subclasses of society socioeconomically is often the ability to delay instant gratification.

if there is a goal, it's not a bad plan. even if it's just to decrease unnecessary burn rate, it's not a bad plan. but the plan is even better if it accelerates the countdown to a really gratifying car to drive.

Yeah, plan was to dump 330i and get sportscar in '09. If I do this I might just con myself into getting sportscar in '08.:eeps: Anyway, we'll see.

JST
04-16-2006, 10:42 PM
To each his own, but I don't think I could live with an Impreza as my only car. Might make sense to get a Solstice, or an old Miata, or something. But I agree with Bren--just drive the 330 and get rid of the "Saab."

lemming
04-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah, plan was to dump 330i and get sportscar in '09. If I do this I might just con myself into getting sportscar in '08.:eeps: Anyway, we'll see.

:dunno:

cars are depreciating items (usually). that's some serious money per month out the window for something you're not using. fiscally, that financially outlay also appears to be creating a buffer between you and the car that you would rather be driving.

:dunno:

rumatt
04-16-2006, 10:50 PM
-Took European Delivery on May 15 2003 (warranty runs from that day).
- ~41000

So isn't it out of warranty already anyway?

If you hadn't ordered that damn moonroof, I'd be tempted.

Must keep repeating to myself.... "You're not good enough to worry about autocross classing... You're not good enough to worry about autocross classing..."

dan
04-16-2006, 10:58 PM
So isn't it out of warranty already anyway?

aren't BMW warranties 4yrs/50,000 miles?

rumatt
04-16-2006, 11:05 PM
aren't BMW warranties 4yrs/50,000 miles?

Oh yeah... duh.

FC
04-16-2006, 11:24 PM
To each his own, but I don't think I could live with an Impreza as my only car. Might make sense to get a Solstice, or an old Miata, or something. But I agree with Bren--just drive the 330 and get rid of the "Saab."

I agree. It will suck to only have an Impreza. But I wont be driving the car in any fun way for any significant period of time. At least not enough to justify a whole car.

If we are to be down to one car, it has to have some semblance of practicality. The 330i is just not practical enough to be our only car.

The miata idea keeps poping up until I realize a new one would be almost as much as what my 330i is worth. I rather just keep the 330i.

A used Miata is still a possibility.

Jeff_DML
04-16-2006, 11:27 PM
I vote get rid of the sabaru too, sort of a compromise, since you are saving money just by going down to 1 car.

I rarely drive since I havent been working, was thinking it would be nice to go down to 1 car too.

edit: just saw your above. yeah, our bimmer is a wagon which is very helpful to haul wood for home projects. saabaru would be good for that, if you have fold down rear seats then sedan should be ok.

rumatt
04-17-2006, 12:10 AM
I vote get rid of the sabaru too

I'm not sure. I flip flop on my future car purchase strategy all the time, but my current thought is to stop dinking around with compromise cars. Sure, the 330 is more fun than a subie, but if he's going to drive 3 miles to work, screw it. Save for a cayan.

Same for me. I'm currently leaning toward ruling out the idea of any incremental upgrades (E90, etc) and keeping my current car (or making equal or even downward trades) until I can afford a car that I won't consider a compromise.

Will I make it that long before feeling the bug for upgrading? Don't know. But repeatedly upgrading to the next E90 or equivalent while dreaming of Caymans and Z06's doesn't make much sense either.

FC
04-17-2006, 08:11 AM
...if you have fold down rear seats then sedan should be ok.

I don't have fold-down seats, and the H/K speakers limits the access area to the trunk. Not very practical. I found this out the hard way during our ED pick up of the car. I was only able to fit ONE large piece of luggage. All that was left were odly-shaped smaller cavities.

My old 190E had a MUCH more usable trunk.

clyde
04-17-2006, 08:14 AM
what he wrote.

i am starting to feel the same way about my vehicle(s). i'm probably going to unload 1 (OR 2) this summer and get into something cheap and disposable.

If it's the CTS-V that's going, and you can hold off till October/November, let me know... :eeps:

wdc330i
04-17-2006, 09:19 AM
I don't have fold-down seats, and the H/K speakers limits the access area to the trunk. Not very practical. I found this out the hard way during our ED pick up of the car. I was only able to fit ONE large piece of luggage. All that was left were odly-shaped smaller cavities.

My old 190E had a MUCH more usable trunk.

It's not ideal, but you can always get a roof rack and a cargo box. It comes off when you don't need it, and greatly expands your carrying capacity.

Jeff_DML
04-17-2006, 11:05 AM
hmmm, thinking more about it your choice is a bit difficult. I have almost the same cars as you, e46 325iT and a wrx. Like I said I am not working right now, either is my wife:eeps: , anyways the little driving I do I usually take the wagon. Reason 1. because it has more cargo room for projects 2. it drives a lot nicer then my wrx, better low end NA torque and softer ride(good for 9months pregnant wife). But your sabaru is your cargo car, you save more money by keeping it instead of the bimmer, is your saabaru not a turbo one? ok I change my mind after writing this, keep your saabaru:D

FC
04-17-2006, 11:20 AM
hmmm, thinking more about it your choice is a bit difficult. I have almost the same cars as you, e46 325iT and a wrx. Like I said I am not working right now, either is my wife:eeps: , anyways the little driving I do I usually take the wagon. Reason 1. because it has more cargo room for projects 2. it drives a lot nicer then my wrx, better low end NA torque and softer ride(good for 9months pregnant wife). But your sabaru is your cargo car, you save more money by keeping it instead of the bimmer, is your saabaru not a turbo one? ok I change my mind after writing this, keep your saabaru:D

LOL

I have a Linear Saabaru, or the base NA 2.5L H4 with 162hp/165lb-ft (or close to that). Runs on regular, gets me 25mpg 'round town/30 highway and has decent low-end torque. I also have the premium and cold weather packages (leather, Xenons, premium sound, heated seats, fogs, heated mirrors, etc) so it doesn't seem like a total POS. Because it's a Saab, it also has side airbags, better sound insulation, 4y/50K warranty, 2y/25K free service and I get free loaners.

So it really is a great little cheap car. And apparently it holds its value pretty well as a result of the crazy rebates I got.

Still, it IS an inexpensive car and you feel it in many different ways. Brakes are crappy, stickshift is vague as hell, it's loud on the highway, seats are crap for long distance driving, and well, everything else you would expect from a car that costs ~half of what the 330i cost me. Still, it gets the job done and feels far lighter than it is.

lemming
04-17-2006, 02:29 PM
If it's the CTS-V that's going, and you can hold off till October/November, let me know... :eeps:

deal.

you want the spare set of mille miglias (with TPS sensors), too? i have the OEM wheels and tires (3000 miles on them), and then the mille miglias plus GS-D3s for summer and blizzaks for winter. i was going to sell 'em online, but if you or Z. want them, i won't sell them.

i can definitely wait until the fall.

i jonesing to unload the antique right now more than anything.

equ
04-18-2006, 10:36 AM
LOL

I have a Linear Saabaru, or the base NA 2.5L H4 with 162hp/165lb-ft (or close to that). Runs on regular, gets me 25mpg 'round town/30 highway and has decent low-end torque. I also have the premium and cold weather packages (leather, Xenons, premium sound, heated seats, fogs, heated mirrors, etc) so it doesn't seem like a total POS. Because it's a Saab, it also has side airbags, better sound insulation, 4y/50K warranty, 2y/25K free service and I get free loaners.

So it really is a great little cheap car. And apparently it holds its value pretty well as a result of the crazy rebates I got.

Still, it IS an inexpensive car and you feel it in many different ways. Brakes are crappy, stickshift is vague as hell, it's loud on the highway, seats are crap for long distance driving, and well, everything else you would expect from a car that costs ~half of what the 330i cost me. Still, it gets the job done and feels far lighter than it is.

Similar to your situation... I have an 03 zhp (had an 04 zhp before, go figure :ack: ) and we got an impreza wagon for my gf (last year we found a 1996 with 40k miles). Old car but she's in grad school so...

I'm really impressed with subaru practicality and long term ease of maintenance. Combined with the low expected depreciation (expect at least $4k-5k/year on the zhp) on the subaru, I'd point to that as the car to keep. Just throw it into some drifts in deep snow :D I think if it were turbo, you wouldn't be asking this question to begin with...

dan
04-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Combined with the low expected depreciation (expect at least $4k-5k/year on the zhp) on the subaru, ..
:scratch: :?

Rob
04-18-2006, 11:57 AM
If you sell the 330 and keep the fwd wagon, you will regret it. You will regret more than you can imagine, it will be something that isn't fixable without spending a lot of money. You will either be more put out financially or you will be miserable.

Maybe you will just be miserable longer.

If driving a fun car is in your blood, getting rid of a car that you love is a really stupid thing to do, at least without replacing it with a car you hope to love more.

Get rid of the wagon and make do. You can rent stuff when you really need a bigger car.

ff
04-18-2006, 12:41 PM
If you sell the 330 and keep the fwd wagon, you will regret it. You will regret more than you can imagine, it will be something that isn't fixable without spending a lot of money. You will either be more put out financially or you will be miserable.

That scenario sounds vaguely familiar to a decision I made 2 years ago.
rwg's right. If you're anything like most of us here, you will hate every moment in your FWD daily commuter.

FC
04-18-2006, 01:06 PM
That scenario sounds vaguely familiar to a decision I made 2 years ago.
rwg's right. If you're anything like most of us here, you will hate every moment in your FWD daily commuter.

FWIW, the Saabaru is a 50/50 F/R AWD car.

I'm not sold on this move just yet. OTOH, the 9-2X is more fun than my 190E (which I drove for 3 years exclusively), and as I've said before, I can tell you right now that I do not miss my 330i on my (new) daily commute because it's so damn short. I'm sure that though more rare than I'd like them to be, there will be occasions when I'd feel miserable for not having one really fun car.

I talked to my wife and mentioned selling both for a 2002+ 325xiT, but then she said it would have to be a slushie, and I quickly lost interest.

Having just the 330i really doesn't make much sense. I need something more versatile.

One thought really concerns me. If I sell the 330i thinking I'll end up with a sports car, and then things change and I cannot get a sportscar and require a fun sedan, I'd really be upset if I have to spend 40K+ for a car that to me wont be that much better than the sedan I sold for a lot less a year or two before. Because, as I've said, short of maybe an E90 M3/4 at $60K+ I really don't want any other sedan besides my 330i.

ff
04-18-2006, 01:10 PM
If you need something more versatile than the 330i, sounds like you need to be looking at 4Runners.

Plaz
04-18-2006, 01:14 PM
If you need something more versatile than the 330i, sounds like you need to be looking at 4Runners.

:ack:

ff
04-18-2006, 01:24 PM
:ack:

I can think of a lot worse choices. If what you need is versatility, I don't see many (any?) cars really fulfilling that role.

Guess it depends on how you define "versatile".

dan
04-18-2006, 01:56 PM
One thought really concerns me. If I sell the 330i thinking I'll end up with a sports car, and then things change and I cannot get a sportscar and require a fun sedan, I'd really be upset if I have to spend 40K+ for a car that to me wont be that much better than the sedan I sold for a lot less a year or two before.

So buy an '03 E46 again

FC
04-18-2006, 02:02 PM
So buy an '03 E46 again

I know. But if things end up that way, I rather have kept MY 330i all along. :dunno:

FC
04-18-2006, 02:03 PM
I can think of a lot worse choices. If what you need is versatility, I don't see many (any?) cars really fulfilling that role.

I'd like to have a 330xiT ZHP. That would be practical enough.

dan
04-18-2006, 02:05 PM
I know. But if things end up that way, I rather have kept MY 330i all along. :dunno:

making current decisions based on assuming things are going to go badly in the future doesn't sound very fun

FC
04-18-2006, 02:31 PM
making current decisions based on assuming things are going to go badly in the future doesn't sound very fun

Can't argue with you on that one. Particularly, when the odds of things working out well are very high.

Jeff_DML
04-18-2006, 06:45 PM

you guys ever owned a wagon? granted the saabaru is a smaller then our 325iT but wagons are pretty darn versatile. I bet I can haul just as much as the previous gen 4 runners. I think the new ones are quite a bit larger.

Rob
04-18-2006, 07:22 PM
I put my wagon up against most other vehicles for versatility. But it's full size. That isn't the point though. I don't drive it every day, and even if I did, I would always know there was a car that I was really happy driving in the garage.

Fernando, if you think that 50/50 split awd on a nose heavy wagon means it's as fun to drive as a 330i . . .

Well, you heard it hear first. Do what you think you need to do to learn this little bit of wisdom, but if you really like to drive, you will be miserable. Every day. And it won't go away.

rumatt
04-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Fernando, if you think that 50/50 split awd on a nose heavy wagon means it's as fun to drive as a 330i . . ..

Where'd he say that.

The issue isn't whether it's as fun to drive. IMO, it's whether it makes sense to take advantage of a period in time where you're not exploiting one car, and use it as an opportunity to have a better car at a future date when you will be ready to enjoy it.

ff
04-18-2006, 08:12 PM
you guys ever owned a wagon? granted the saabaru is a smaller then our 325iT but wagons are pretty darn versatile. I bet I can haul just as much as the previous gen 4 runners. I think the new ones are quite a bit larger.

I guess when I think about versatility, I think about hauling 3 kids/adults in the back seat, ability to at least haul a stack of 2x4x8's or 15+ bags of mulch, and ability to tow a trailer of, say, 5000 pounds or more. I just don't see the 3 series wagon being able to do a whole lot more than the sedan.

lemming
04-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Where'd he say that.

The issue isn't whether it's as fun to drive. IMO, it's whether it makes sense to take advantage of a period in time where you're not exploiting one car, and use it as an opportunity to have a better car at a future date when you will be ready to enjoy it.

werd.

that's a lot of money per month on a rarely driven, depreciating car.

Jeff_DML
04-18-2006, 08:35 PM
I guess when I think about versatility, I think about hauling 3 kids/adults in the back seat, ability to at least haul a stack of 2x4x8's or 15+ bags of mulch, and ability to tow a trailer of, say, 5000 pounds or more. I just don't see the 3 series wagon being able to do a whole lot more than the sedan.

I just fit a couple 2x4x12 a couple of days ago:eeps:

ff
04-18-2006, 09:01 PM
I just fit a couple 2x4x12 a couple of days ago:eeps:

How far were they sticking out the back of the car? :lol:

Jeff_DML
04-18-2006, 09:38 PM
How far were they sticking out the back of the car? :lol:

and they wouldnt be sticking out of a 4runner?:p about 3 feet

ff
04-19-2006, 08:31 AM
and they wouldnt be sticking out of a 4runner?:p about 3 feet

You must've had the front end of the boards resting on the dashboard?

clyde
04-19-2006, 09:12 AM
You must've had the front end of the boards resting on the dashboard?
so what if he was? He still wouldn't have been able to do it at all in a sedan (unless he was willing ot use the roof).

Any wagon is much more versitile than its sister sedan. Yes, it's still a car, and isn't going to match a real truck for hauling duty capability, but it's still much more useful/utilitarian than a sedan.

Obviously, a wagon has greater cargo capacity than its sister sedan, but that's only part of the equation. The shape of that cargo volume is also a major advantage. Many big box items that aren't really that big won't fit in a sedan because you won't be able to fit them through the door or into the trunk will fit in a wagon just fine. Open the back, slide it in, close, be on your merry way.

Using the E46 as an example, all of the extra versatility comes with no practical, real-world drawbacks. 150 pounds. Big f'ing deal on a porker like the E46.

Sharp11
04-19-2006, 09:19 AM
so what if he was? He still wouldn't have been able to do it at all in a sedan (unless he was willing ot use the roof).

Any wagon is much more versitile than its sister sedan. Yes, it's still a car, and isn't going to match a real truck for hauling duty capability, but it's still much more useful/utilitarian than a sedan.

Obviously, a wagon has greater cargo capacity than its sister sedan, but that's only part of the equation. The shape of that cargo volume is also a major advantage. Many big box items that aren't really that big won't fit in a sedan because you won't be able to fit them through the door or into the trunk will fit in a wagon just fine. Open the back, slide it in, close, be on your merry way.

Using the E46 as an example, all of the extra versatility comes with no practical, real-world drawbacks. 150 pounds. Big f'ing deal on a porker like the E46.

You said it brother, I stuffed eight wheels and tires into the back of the Subaru Outback, a set of four 18's for the Z4 and a set of four large-profile 16's for the Subie; and there was room to spare!!!!

Ed

FC
04-19-2006, 09:32 AM
I was able to fit an ~8' X 12' carpet inside my Saabaru with ALL the doors shut.

'Nuff said.

We've also bought multiple lamps, frames, etc that simply could not fit in the 330i. Before the Saabaru, I had to either empty the contents out of the box and leave the box behind, or call my parents to see if they could bail me out. A lot of times the items really were not big, they just could not fit in or thorugh the 330i's trunk or doors.

That was a big catalyst in the purchase fo the Saabaru.

And mind you, the Saabaru is as small a wagon as one can get.

iateyourcheese
04-19-2006, 09:47 AM
I was able to fit an ~8' X 12' carpet inside my Saabaru with ALL the doors shut.

'Nuff said.

We've also bought multiple lamps, frames, etc that simply could not fit in the 330i. Before the Saabaru, I had to either empty the contents out of the box and leave the box behind, or call my parents to see if they could bail me out. A lot of times the items really were not big, they just could not fit in or thorugh the 330i's trunk or doors.

That was a big catalyst in the purchase fo the Saabaru.

And mind you, the Saabaru is as small a wagon as one can get.

We too have a Subie for hauling stuff, but we got the turbo forester. It's sort-of SUV-like, but it's based on the Impreza and Subaru even calls it a wagon. Anyway, we haul tons and tons of stuff in there and I'm not sure what we'd do without it.

One thing, though, and I wonder if it's true for the Saabaru since they sit on the same platform. The total weight that can be carried is actually less than the 330i. Too bad the 3 series doesn't have much usable space.

FC
04-19-2006, 10:11 AM
One thing, though, and I wonder if it's true for the Saabaru since they sit on the same platform. The total weight that can be carried is actually less than the 330i. Too bad the 3 series doesn't have much usable space.

Yes, it is a pretty light-duty chassis. But I use it to carry volume more than weight.

Like I said, I wish I could get a 330xiT ZHP like in Europe.

rumatt
04-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Like I said, I wish I could get a 330xiT ZHP like in Europe.

A 330xiT ZHP? :scratch:

I'd rather have a 330iT ZSP.

Alan
04-19-2006, 12:09 PM
My advice ... sell the ZHP since you are justifying the reason for the sale which tells me you are done but sellers remorse is keeping you from doing it.

You had your fun with the ZHP and at the time you bought it, it fit your needs perfectly. Times for you have changed and this sports sedan isn't fitting into the equation.

You've got a lot of years ahead of you of owning many different cars ... sell the ZHP, pocket the $$ for now and see how you feel. This is not a permanant decision ... if you find you miss that extra car than you can always go out and buy another car.

Jason C
04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
My advice ... sell the ZHP since you are justifying the reason for the sale which tells me you are done but sellers remorse is keeping you from doing it.

Yeah, it seems as though you've already decided on whatever it is you want and are now looking for justification. We all do that, don't we?

equ
04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
sell the ZHP, pocket the $$ for now and see how you feel.

Even as a zhp owner, I'd say +1. It's really going to drop in value over the next 1-2 years (especially if you're going to come out of warranty). Value drop is fine if you're getting your use out of it, but if it's sitting...

Alan
04-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Even as a zhp owner, I'd say +1. It's really going to drop in value over the next 1-2 years (especially if you're going to come out of warranty). Value drop is fine if you're getting your use out of it, but if it's sitting...

This is not a permanant decision ... if you find you miss that extra car than you can always go out and buy another car.

I bet you agree with this part as well ... especially since you hold onto cars as long as I do ... :D

FC
04-19-2006, 06:23 PM
I bet you agree with this part as well ... especially since you hold onto cars as long as I do ... :D

I do agree. And like you said, it's tough to let go.

-My first new car.
-Far and away the greatest car I've ever owned or driven significantly.
-Memories form the ED trip.
-Beautiful. Just a beautiful car. I still turn around to check it out. Nothing beats glossy Imola Red.
-I know it's a stupid argument, but I don't "need" the money.

I'll sell it. I just need therapy. Maybe it is the fact that I'm still trying to adjust to the new job (MUCH more difficult than I thought), so I don't want too many variables in my life. I dunno.

I'll get over it soon. I'll try to drive it a bit before I sell it.

clyde
04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
I'll sell it.

:eek:

What about you *gasp* plan?!?!!

:toetap:

:loser:

:p

equ
04-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I do agree. And like you said, it's tough to let go.

I think AF meant that for me.. Yup, it's been two months with my second zhp and my eyes are already flirting with e90s as well as boxsters in this beautiful weather we've been having.

FC
04-19-2006, 07:23 PM
:eek:

What about you *gasp* plan?!?!!

:toetap:

:loser:

:p

:twisted:

Plans are always subject to change.:D I ended up switching jobs, otherwise this would not be an issue.

FC
04-19-2006, 07:36 PM
So...

What do you guys think is a fair price? :eeps:

KBB says that my car, under "good condition" is 25K private sale. Edmunds puts it at 26.5K for clean condition without the ZHP. I did a 200mile search on autotrader and 330i's with MT and ZSP (no ZHP's) are anywhere from 27 to 31K.

Considering the winter wheels, icelink, etc, I'm thinking 27K.

Thoughts?

lemming
04-19-2006, 08:55 PM
So...

Thoughts?

my thoughts are that i'm holding out for someone to buy my car in October.

:bustingup

JST
04-19-2006, 09:45 PM
So...

What do you guys think is a fair price? :eeps:

KBB says that my car, under "good condition" is 25K private sale. Edmunds puts it at 26.5K for clean condition without the ZHP. I did a 200mile search on autotrader and 330i's with MT and ZSP (no ZHP's) are anywhere from 27 to 31K.

Considering the winter wheels, icelink, etc, I'm thinking 27K.

Thoughts?

I would bet you'd sell it quickly at that price. Maybe to Archer.

JST
04-19-2006, 09:47 PM
my thoughts are that i'm holding out for someone to buy my car in October.

:bustingup

If certain parties end up not being interested, certain other parties might be interested.

FC
04-19-2006, 10:02 PM
I would bet you'd sell it quickly at that price.

You think that is a bit low huh? :eeps: Maybe 28K then. But it would not be bad to get rid of it quickly either.:dunno:

FT@SGP
04-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah, it seems as though you've already decided on whatever it is you want and are now looking for justification. We all do that, don't we?
:+1
I believe that if you start "thinking" about selling you should just do it. It does not look like you are getting the value out of the car. Wait some amount of time, and get something that you will really enjoy without worry about exterior apparence; dings, scratches and what not.

Good luck.

TD
04-19-2006, 10:04 PM
You think that is a bit low huh? :eeps: Maybe 28K then. But it would not be bad to get rid of it quickly either.:dunno:
http://www.onlybmws.com/va/3series.htm

Look at the first two listings.

FC
04-19-2006, 10:07 PM
http://www.onlybmws.com/va/3series.htm

Look at the first two listings.

DAMN!

Granted those are dealer prices. But there sure aren't any ZHP's for sale 'round here, it seems. Supply and demand I guess.

rumatt
04-19-2006, 10:08 PM
I would bet you'd sell it quickly at that price. Maybe to Archer.

Or Lupinsea.

You should sell the wheels separately.

Oh, and I tell you what. I'll give you an even trade for my car, and you can sell that instead. :eeps:

TD
04-19-2006, 10:25 PM
DAMN!

Granted those are dealer prices. But there sure aren't any ZHP's for sale 'round here, it seems. Supply and demand I guess.
Independent dealer. Not BMW-affiliated. Not BMW CPO.

They get all of their cars off auction.

FC
04-20-2006, 07:30 AM
Independent dealer. Not BMW-affiliated. Not BMW CPO.

They get all of their cars off auction.

Wow. Of course, I'm willing to add extended factory warranty and service at cost too, which they can't.

ff
04-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Agree: sell the wheels separately. You'll get nothing for 'em if you sell them with the car.

killerdeck
04-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Im having the same thoughts about my car Fernando. My car is an 04 but when I bought it 2 years ago I was commuting 50 miles roundtrip a day and now I work from home. Needless to say I have a 17K mile perfect shape 04 ZHP but its just depreciating a lot in my garage. I leased my car with the intention of driving it 15K miles a year! Whoops! My thoughts at this point are to compare the buyout to what it is worth in a little less than a year and do something about it then. I will probably just buy it out as I already paid for depreciation for 45K miles. Again, whoops! Im just concerned that a ZHP with no roof, xenons, and fold downs ONLY might be a lot harder to sell for near market price. Here is a pic of it last week after I washed and waxed it just to make you have a harder time, haha. Sorry about the size if it is too large bboy!

clyde
04-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Im just concerned that a ZHP with no roof, xenons, and fold downs ONLY might be a lot harder to sell for near market price.

What options does it have? Is it a base model with ZHP only? If so, if you market it to the right audience it may be a lot easier than you think.

rumatt
04-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Im just concerned that a ZHP with no roof, xenons, and fold downs ONLY might be a lot harder to sell for near market price.

:eek: :eeps:

Where are you located? :lol:

clyde
04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Oh...

The only three options are ZHP, xenon and fold downs.

Yeah, it should still be pretty easy to sell at a very good price if you advertise in the right circles (autocrossers).

bren
04-20-2006, 09:51 AM
:eek: :eeps:
:stupid:

rumatt
04-20-2006, 09:56 AM
:stupid:

I'll go in half with you. :)

dan
04-20-2006, 09:57 AM
sounds like his marketing plan is already working

bren
04-20-2006, 10:05 AM
I'll go in half with you. :)
Deal! (if I can use it for daily driver duty.);)

rumatt
04-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Deal! (if I can use it for daily driver duty.);)

What I really need is for someone else to buy this, and let me codrive at big events.

My current car is a more than adequate practice vehicle.

Bren, you know you want a competitive car for Topeka. :stickpoke

bren
04-20-2006, 10:15 AM
What I really need is for someone else to buy this, and let me codrive at big events.

IndyMike
04-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I think the value of the ZHP will always command a respectable premium over it's comparable ZSP equipped brethren. Of all the E46's made (with the possible exception of the Sportwagon) it is the most exclusive. And if it comes in Imola it's even more exclusive. And yet even further, if it's a manual it's even more niche unique.

Last August when I was entertaining purchasing an M3 I received strong offers on my '04 Imola for $33k. Considering I paid $38.3k (albeit via ED) for it just 22 months before that's not a bad RODI (return on depreciating investment).

Disclaimers: (1) This is a paid announcement to help increase the competition on the board for 'Nando's ZHP. (2) Void where not prohibited by law. (3) Your mileage may vary. (4) Past performance may not be indicative of future results. (5) I could be talking out of my arse (again).

FC
04-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I think the value of the ZHP will always command a respectable premium over it's comparable ZSP equipped brethren. Of all the E46's made (with the possible exception of the Sportwagon) it is the most exclusive. And if it comes in Imola it's even more exclusive. And yet even further, if it's a manual it's even more niche unique.

Last August when I was entertaining purchasing an M3 I received strong offers on my '04 Imola for $33k. Considering I paid $38.3k (albeit via ED) for it just 22 months before that's not a bad RODI (return on depreciating investment).

Disclaimers: (1) This is a paid announcement to help increase the competition on the board for 'Nando's ZHP. (2) Void where not prohibited by law. (3) Your mileage may vary. (4) Past performance may not be indicative of future results. (5) I could be talking out of my arse (again).

LOL

rumatt
04-20-2006, 11:37 AM
:lol:

rumatt
04-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Relevant discussion brewing: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143262

bren
04-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Are you saying we should all try to sell our cars in Illinois?

FC
04-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Are you saying we should all try to sell our cars in Illinois?

No, just to someone who lives in IL. ;)

killerdeck
04-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Ok, I figured that you guys would like it! It was posted in purposes of making some of you drool :lol: ! I guess I will just put it up here for sale along with some autocrossing places when it comes time. I will give you guys first dibs!
Here are some others to keep drooling until I sell it:

FC
04-20-2006, 05:22 PM
so...

My boss comes over today and asks if the 330i is mine (I drove it today to work for once). Turns out he knew a lot about the Perf Pkg. So I told him the ED story and how I was actually considering selling it. He tells me I shouldn't, etc. Finally says "Well, if you decide to sell it I'm sure someone here would like to buy it."

Turns out the 2nd youngest engineer (about 30yo) is a BMW enthusiast. Has a BMW motorcycle and an E36 328. He knew about the ZHP and apparently had been looking but "they are going for about 30K and are pretty rare." I told him I'd take $28K for mine since it needs new tires. I left him thinking about it, but I think 28K is a bit over what he'd like to spend on a car.

Anyhow, this guy knows his BMW stuff reasonably well. Has done a few track events, etc. So there is one guy at work I can talk to. My boss (30's) had a WRX and just got a red A3 2.0T with the DSG tranny.

lemming
04-20-2006, 06:48 PM
so...

My boss comes over today and asks if the 330i is mine (I drove it today to work for once). Turns out he knew a lot about the Perf Pkg. So I told him the ED story and how I was actually considering selling it. He tells me I shouldn't, etc. Finally says "Well, if you decide to sell it I'm sure someone here would like to buy it."

Turns out the 2nd youngest engineer (about 30yo) is a BMW enthusiast. Has a BMW motorcycle and an E36 328. He knew about the ZHP and apparently had been looking but "they are going for about 30K and are pretty rare." I told him I'd take $28K for mine since it needs new tires. I left him thinking about it, but I think 28K is a bit over what he'd like to spend on a car.

Anyhow, this guy knows his BMW stuff reasonably well. Has done a few track events, etc. So there is one guy at work I can talk to. My boss (30's) had a WRX and just got a red A3 2.0T with the DSG tranny.

now you're going to keep the ZHP, aren't you?

i just know it.

FC
04-20-2006, 07:10 PM
now you're going to keep the ZHP, aren't you?

i just know it.

LOL. I probably will sell it. I mean, it's a fun car and I can enjoy it still here and there, but I'm (we're) not yet wealthy enough to tie up that kind of money for seldom fun.

The thing is, when we have kids, the wife will want/need a roomier car with a slushy. At that point all bets are off. I cannot have a slushy family car be the only car I own, and if I am going to have a dedicated 2nd car, it might as well be something fun.

Even if it is something as cheap as a Sky/miata/used Boxster, I will still get a fun car.

Things will change over the years, I'm sure. We could move, or I could switch jobs again, etc. Maybe then I could even justify 3 cars. Right now, I can't really justify 2.

dan
04-20-2006, 07:18 PM
of course you know this means I win the bet

lemming
04-20-2006, 08:07 PM

with me?

dan
04-20-2006, 08:08 PM
no

clyde
04-20-2006, 08:15 PM
The thing is, when we have kids, the wife will want/need a roomier car with a slushy.

Does spontaneous left foot/leg and/or right arm amputation at childbirth run in your wife's family?

Plaz
04-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Does spontaneous left foot/leg and/or right arm amputation at childbirth run in your wife's family?

I hear that's a religous rite among some. :lol:

TD
04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
That darn Scientology.

JST
04-20-2006, 10:08 PM
LOL. I probably will sell it. I mean, it's a fun car and I can enjoy it still here and there, but I'm (we're) not yet wealthy enough to tie up that kind of money for seldom fun.

The thing is, when we have kids, the wife will want/need a roomier car with a slushy. At that point all bets are off. I cannot have a slushy family car be the only car I own, and if I am going to have a dedicated 2nd car, it might as well be something fun.

Even if it is something as cheap as a Sky/miata/used Boxster, I will still get a fun car.

Things will change over the years, I'm sure. We could move, or I could switch jobs again, etc. Maybe then I could even justify 3 cars. Right now, I can't really justify 2.

She may change her mind when the time gets closer.

You may find that the idea of owning a car that you can't take your kid for a ride in loses its appeal.

Who knows?

Personally, if it were me, I'd keep the 330. But, as I said, I can't imagine having an Impreza as my only car. That would drive me batshit.

FC
04-20-2006, 10:46 PM

That assumed things remained remotely constant. I never imagined I would end up working so close to home. Still this potential sale is voluntary and not because I no longer like my car.

But if it will make you happy...:dunno:

rumatt
04-20-2006, 10:52 PM

You guys.... :bustingup :bustingup

(what they said. :+1 :eeps: :lol: )

FC
04-20-2006, 11:12 PM

I am of the believe that it is nice to have one slushy in the garage (for a variety of reasons) provided there is already at least one MT car.

So, I have no problem with the family car being a slushy.

clyde
04-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I am of the believe that it is nice to have one slushy in the garage (for a variety of reasons) provided there is already at least one MT car.

So, I have no problem with the family car being a slushy.
you said that your wife will want/need a slushie, not about whether you'd have a problem with it

dan
04-21-2006, 12:46 AM
That assumed things remained remotely constant. I never imagined I would http://www.maj.com/gallery/DanElHombre/smilies/blahblah.gif
yeah, that's kind of why I made the bet...

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpost.php?p=21910&postcount=52

I take paypal

FC
04-21-2006, 07:44 AM
yeah, that's kind of why I made the bet...

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpost.php?p=21910&postcount=52

I take paypal

Hmmm...

"...there is nothing likely to happen..." I never imagined I would switch jobs. Unlikely events always happen. Like winning the lottery or losing a right leg.

Still, I don't have the time to research it, but the context of the argument was that I would get tired of the car and would want something else to replace it (with something better/nicer/more expensive - hence the comment of waiting until I was "debt-free" to buy it). That is not the case. I still like the car, a lot. And it is not being replaced.

Stop being such a gnat.

FC
04-21-2006, 07:52 AM
you said that your wife will want/need a slushie, not about whether you'd have a problem with it

My wife can drive a stick. But she does not see it as a daily source of enjoyment. She doesn't mind/wants the sporty car in the house to have a MT, but she has no interest in dealing with a MT with kids around, when we go shopping, etc.

I guess it requires extra attention by her and she is not the smoothest MT driver. She oscillates from driving very sporty to driving like a grandma keeping rpms at like 1800.

Plus there is the whole issue (that I'm on-board with) of having a slushy in case one is ill or hurt, or need to ask someone else to drive the car, etc.

bren
04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Plus there is the whole issue (that I'm on-board with) of having a slushy in case one is ill or hurt, or need to ask someone else to drive the car, etc.
Wow, now there is some advanced planning. :? :lol:

clyde
04-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Hmmm...

"...there is nothing likely to happen..." I never imagined I would switch jobs. Unlikely events always happen. Like winning the lottery or losing a right leg.

Still, I don't have the time to research it, but the context of the argument was that I would get tired of the car and would want something else to replace it (with something better/nicer/more expensive - hence the comment of waiting until I was "debt-free" to buy it). That is not the case. I still like the car, a lot. And it is not being replaced.

Stop being such a gnat.

I'm with bono on this one. Your job deliberation musings here pre-date that post, your marriage and your home purchase. Something that wouldn't fall in the "likley" category would be something like loosing your left leg or right arm, the car being wrecked bad enough to either be totalled or sold immediately after repair, a job change that required or prompted MAJOR lifestyle changes, your wife becoming pregnant with quintuplets, etc (and, no...getting a new job with roughly similar pay within walking distance of your home doesn't make the above mentioned job change cut).

Admit it to yourself and stop trying to rationalize it into something that it isn't.

FC
04-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Wow, now there is some advanced planning. :? :lol:

I have tendonitis in my right wrist. It comes and goes. But when it is bad, it kills. Shifting becomes less than fun. I had my left foot hurting like hell for a week after a soccer game last year. It hurt to press the clutch. Nobody else I know drives a stick. In case of an emergency that is bad. Etc, etc, etc.

Plus, that is what my wife wants and I am willing to grant her this request. End of story.

clyde
she has no interest in dealing with a MT with kids around, when we go shopping, etc.

Comments like this only remind me how little I knew about being a parent (in every sense of the word) before becoming one. That's not call you or wife out, but just an observation that there are some things in life that we can't fully appreciate (for better or worse) until we experience them.

:willy:

FC
Admit it to yourself and stop trying to rationalize it into something that it isn't.

...whatever.

wdc330i
04-21-2006, 01:24 PM
I'll just chime in with the comment that the ZHP is a terrific blend of fun and practicality--perfect for when the kids start arriving. The Saab seems the obvious car to upgrade in a couple of years.

If you sell the ZHP and buy a used Miata, you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade both cars sooner rather than later. And that will negate all the shortterm savings you gain in going down to one car for a stretch.

Or keep both of the ZHP and the Saab for the long haul, and let the next car be the new or lightly used Boxster.

You will want two cars you can carry children in.

FC
04-21-2006, 02:30 PM
I'll just chime in with the comment that the ZHP is a terrific blend of fun and practicality--perfect for when the kids start arriving. The Saab seems the obvious car to upgrade in a couple of years.

If you sell the ZHP and buy a used Miata, you'll find yourself wanting to upgrade both cars sooner rather than later. And that will negate all the shortterm savings you gain in going down to one car for a stretch.

Or keep both of the ZHP and the Saab for the long haul, and let the next car be the new or lightly used Boxster.

You will want two cars you can carry children in.

I just drove my 330i for the last two days and already am starting to have 2nd thoughts.

But your idea is my preferred plan. To have three cars:

-Family vehicle (whatver it ends up being)
-Boxster or whatver sportscar I end up getting
-Older but still in nice shape ZHP as back-up kid-carrier, back-up winter car, etc.

The current situation of me being close to work makes me wonder if it is very smart though.

Still, financially, there is no pressing need to rid myself of the 330i. If anything, leaving my company and getting paid vacation time, a signing bonus, and forcing to dump all my options has allowed me to pay off the balance of all my student loan. And of course, I don't spend nearly as much in gas, etc.

ff
04-21-2006, 03:27 PM
I guess I don't understand the thought process behind having 3 "primary" cars, unless you're filthy rich, and have more disposable income than you know what to do with. If it was up to me, and if I didn't have any kids, I'd just buy the sports/sporty car for myself, and let the wife drive whatever she wants. You're both satisfied all the time.

FC
04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
I guess I don't understand the thought process behind having 3 "primary" cars, unless you're filthy rich, and have more disposable income than you know what to do with. If it was up to me, and if I didn't have any kids, I'd just buy the sports/sporty car for myself, and let the wife drive whatever she wants. You're both satisfied all the time.

Yes. But if the sports/sporty car is highly impractical (seats two, not a great winter car, uncomfortable over less than perfect roads), an "inexpensive" 3rd car would be nice. But it is very hard to justify.

lemming
04-21-2006, 10:29 PM

3 cars is ridiculous. when i see people with 4, i really don't understand.

TD
04-21-2006, 10:52 PM
WTF?!

If you cannot exist with an E46 as your "family car", you're taking too much shit with you.

Kids are small. You can definitely get by with the E46 as the "large" car until you have a second child. Then you can decide how to proceed.

But, shit, this is absurd.

An E46 sedan is not some 2-seat sports car. It's a 4-door sedan with a pretty large trunk.

And selling a car you bought prior to approx year 4 is never smart financially. So don't claim financial prudence. Looking at depreciation, your cost per month in the coming year for the E46 will be less than it would be for some new "cheap" car.

Mr. The Edge
04-21-2006, 11:21 PM
:lol: at the "justifications" in this thread.

It all just gave me a headache in my eye. :loco:

TD
04-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Perseverate (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Perseverate)

Mr. The Edge
04-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Perseverate (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Perseverate)

ouch :lol:

TD
04-21-2006, 11:57 PM
ouch :lol:
Well, he's in the correct forum for it.

A number of us have a penchant for it.

rumatt
04-22-2006, 04:58 PM
I guess I don't understand the thought process behind having 3 "primary" cars, unless you're filthy rich

That bogus. Having 2 cars that are traded frequently can cost as much or more than owning 3 cars that are bought at good prices (possibly used) and held for the long haul.

rumatt
04-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I take paypal

: owned:

Jason C
04-22-2006, 05:10 PM
cars that are bought at good prices (possibly used) and held for the long haul.

As if anyone here could commit to that. :rolleyes:

Could someone make a cliffs note of this thread? Even by the standards of this forum, it's convoluted to hell.

lemming
04-22-2006, 05:44 PM
As if anyone here could commit to that. :rolleyes:

Could someone make a cliffs note of this thread? Even by the standards of this forum, it's convoluted to hell.

i don't think so.

i understand 'Nando's logic just fine.

FC
04-22-2006, 05:57 PM
i don't think so.

i understand 'Nando's logic just fine.

As much as all the statements made by me in favor of selling it, I think I'll be keeping it.

Not sure either way yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it.

Hey it's a waffling thread, I get to waffle.:p

lemming
04-23-2006, 10:08 AM
As much as all the statements made by me in favor of selling it, I think I'll be keeping it.

Not sure either way yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it.

Hey it's a waffling thread, I get to waffle.:p

ah geez.

well, you do have to keep it 4 years, by your rule, for it to make economical sense, right?

ff
04-23-2006, 08:28 PM
That bogus. Having 2 cars that are traded frequently can cost as much or more than owning 3 cars that are bought at good prices (possibly used) and held for the long haul.

Guess I should just start owning 3 cars.

Alan
04-24-2006, 11:26 AM

Not everyone wants to drive a sports car everyday ... this morning I am still trying to wake my butt up from my over partying from this weeekend the thought of driving the boxster is downright painful :eeps:

I forgot how many kids you have but what do you do when you need to take 1 (or 2) of your kids and your wife needs to take 1 of the kids as well ?

You put them in your S2000 ?

ff
04-24-2006, 12:47 PM
I forgot how many kids you have but what do you do when you need to take 1 (or 2) of your kids and your wife needs to take 1 of the kids as well ?

You put them in your S2000 ?

The kids never ride in the S2000.
Fortunately, not having a 2nd car w/ a back seat hasn't been an issue yet. We have a pretty good setup with me working from home >> wife takes the S to work, and I have the kids and the Lexus all day.

Rob
04-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Selling = miserable Fernando.

Sorry, but the thread is so long, I thought it beared repeating.

lemming
04-24-2006, 07:23 PM
yeah. selling = short term miserable.

if it accelerates time to desired car, then it's only short term misery.

it's complicated math (for Him).

FC
04-24-2006, 07:34 PM
yeah. selling = short term miserable.

if it accelerates time to desired car, then it's only short term misery.

it's complicated math (for Him).

I'm probably going to sound like a dumbass (or a professional waffler:dunno: ), but this past weekend was the first weekend since started in my new job that I did not go to Canada and realized that there are enough opportunities to enjoy my ZHP (if I look for them - and I will) that I should just keep it.

Before, I commuted with it. And in fear of getting it dinged up I would not use it on weekends for shopping shores, etc. Now, I have just come to terms with the idea that I will use it, dings be dammed. So I had fun with it this weekend. And I love it, so I'll keep it. I will drive it to Montreal in-non winter months while I still have no kids and just enjoy it as much as I can.

Obviously, there will still be many instances when whatever we are out to buy will not fit on the ZHP, but clearly that is far from all the time.

Just one drive justifies its price of 2X that of the Saabaru.

So, "The Plan" is still in on. Saabaru replacement in 1-2 years, and cool sports car in ~3 years.

FC
05-04-2006, 07:42 AM
Today my wife has to by at a client outside of Boston. She will need a car and will take the Saab.

Yet another clear instance that I'm an idiot for thinking we did not really need two cars. Given that, my current garage is pretty damn close to perfect.

I also happened to wash my 330i last weekend and damn, it's awesome.

So, in case I was not clear before, I'm not selling my 330i.:D

Alan
05-04-2006, 07:47 AM
I've been in your shoes and nothing is better then when you make a decision (whether its to sell or not) and then stick to it ... most of us on this board have some form of OCD so being in limbo about selling a car is torture

clyde
05-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Today my wife has to by at a client outside of Boston. She will need a car and will take the Saab.

Yet another clear instance that I'm an idiot for thinking we did not really need two cars. Given that, my current garage is pretty damn close to perfect.

I also happened to wash my 330i last weekend and damn, it's awesome.

So, in case I was not clear before, I'm not selling my 330i.:D

I'm a little confused (yes, it's easy to find me in that state). Because your wife needs to go somewhere, you need two cars? When you now work within walking/running/biking distance of your home? I'm not advocating that you sell or keep the car, but I don't understand how this is an issue.

FC
05-04-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm a little confused (yes, it's easy to find me in that state). Because your wife needs to go somewhere, you need two cars? When you now work within walking/running/biking distance of your home? I'm not advocating that you sell or keep the car, but I don't understand how this is an issue.

Weather this morning is still shitty after two days of rain and I am also feeling like crap (so no chance for biking, much less running). She could have dropped me off, but she did not have to get up that early today for once as she'll be working from home until she has to go to her client. She will be over the the client until way past my time to go home.

Still, there is no denying that we could have certainly found a way to get by today with one car without much hassle. But having two cars gives us that much more flexibility. Also, she found out about this drive last night 7pm, not leaving that much time to make sensible arrangements.

So, having the 2nd car helps. And obviously this one event does not justify a whole 2nd car, but it is in addition to a multitude of other smaller instances when it is nice to have a 2nd car (I'm not about to tally them all up).

Again, if money were an issue, one car would be gone, but there is no pressing need to ditch a car other than trying to be extra frugal.

Alan
05-04-2006, 09:55 AM

The clear answer is it's not about practicality ... it is an emotional issue.

Bascially he has in his head to get rid of the car for whatever reason and a part of him wants to keep the car ... he is trying to justify why one is better than the other but in reality all logical reasons don't apply.

IMO nothing is wrong with this since we all go through these emotions with cars since we are all basically nuts :cool:

rumatt
05-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Because your wife needs to go somewhere, you need two cars?

Yes.

equ
05-07-2006, 10:44 AM
The clear answer is it's not about practicality ... it is an emotional issue.

Bascially he has in his head to get rid of the car for whatever reason and a part of him wants to keep the car ... he is trying to justify why one is better than the other but in reality all logical reasons don't apply.

IMO nothing is wrong with this since we all go through these emotions with cars since we are all basically nuts :cool:

+1,000,000

rumatt
05-07-2006, 10:58 AM
+1,000,000

+1

I think I may want to get rid of my car after this year, but I'm already starting to wonder if I'll be able to convince myself to sell it. :loco: