PDA

View Full Version : new competition for team PTG M3s

lemming
12-17-2003, 08:28 AM
did you people notice this?

like the RS6s weren't headache enough.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=01177784

now there's the CTS-V car and it likely will be very, very factory supported.

bren
12-17-2003, 08:54 AM
It’s mounted so far back and so low in the chassis that there’s more empty space under the hood in front of the engine than in a ’67 DeVille.
[speaking of the engine]

I've never looked under the hood of the CTS but this sounds like a major reworking of the car's design. I'm suprised the rules allow so much modification to the location of the motor. :dunno:

blee
12-17-2003, 09:51 AM
From the Autoweek story:

The most significant element of the new program is that Pratt and Miller is working hand in hand with in-house engineers. Already, feedback from the race program has influenced suspension design on the street-model CTS-V, a product of the GM Performance Division. There’s a computer link between the Performance Division and Pratt and Miller’s facility, and GM’s own internal engineers will be involved in the program on race weekends as part of their day jobs, not just as enthusiasts on their own time.

Not bad, GM. You're getting it right. :D

It's also very cool that the two cars in the program actually came off of the assembly line after failing a paint quality control inspection. Seriously, this says a lot about the way Cadillac is approaching this vehicle and the marketing of their division. I see a bright future here.

...oh, and I can't wait to see this car at NAIAS.

lemming
12-17-2003, 11:49 AM
From the Autoweek story:

The most significant element of the new program is that Pratt and Miller is working hand in hand with in-house engineers. Already, feedback from the race program has influenced suspension design on the street-model CTS-V, a product of the GM Performance Division. There’s a computer link between the Performance Division and Pratt and Miller’s facility, and GM’s own internal engineers will be involved in the program on race weekends as part of their day jobs, not just as enthusiasts on their own time.

Not bad, GM. You're getting it right. :D

It's also very cool that the two cars in the program actually came off of the assembly line after failing a paint quality control inspection. Seriously, this says a lot about the way Cadillac is approaching this vehicle and the marketing of their division. I see a bright future here.

...oh, and I can't wait to see this car at NAIAS.

wait a minute....the racing car will be there!?!?!?!?

blee
12-17-2003, 01:00 PM
wait a minute....the racing car will be there!?!?!?!?

Here's the last paragraph of the story, emphasis mine:

GM designer Kip Wasenko designed the car, as he did the Cadillac LMP, and devised a paint scheme patterned after the “V” logo that designates Cadillac performance models. The car makes its public debut at the Detroit auto show and begins its competition life at Sebring in April, where it will square off against the likes of the Audi RS6, BMW M3, Ford Mustang, Dodge Viper and Chevy Corvette in the top World Challenge class, GT.

Based on that, it looks like the race car will also be there. It could also just be a case of poor writing.

SCA
12-17-2003, 01:11 PM
Apparently PTG has some new M3's in store for the 2004 season. The current cars are for sale or have been sold already. This info comes from another BMW racing team.

lemming
12-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Apparently PTG has some new M3's in store for the 2004 season. The current cars are for sale or have been sold already. This info comes from another BMW racing team.

the PTG cars were really competitive last year. i wonder if they'll have even stronger engines this year. i coudln't tell if they lost out to the RS6s because of the "winning penalties" or what?

they're obviously the best handling package in the class --i am not sure how to think the CTS-V will do if the corvette (albeit privateer cars) did not really make a dent into the GT class.

scottn2retro
12-17-2003, 02:21 PM

You have a scoop on something? I was under the impression that Tom Milner/PTG and the SCCA weren't really happy with each other and PTG was thinking of not running Speed WC again, but maybe going back to ALMS. :dunno:

lemming
12-17-2003, 03:08 PM

You have a scoop on something? I was under the impression that Tom Milner/PTG and the SCCA weren't really happy with each other and PTG was thinking of not running Speed WC again, but maybe going back to ALMS. :dunno:

what sorts of limits are in place on your engine for your racing class? do they limit compression and displacement or does it ahve to be 80% stock or something like that.

scottn2retro
12-17-2003, 03:36 PM
what sorts of limits are in place on your engine for your racing class? do they limit compression and displacement or does it ahve to be 80% stock or something like that.

My car is equivalent to BMW Club Racing I-stock. Intake, exhaust & chip. Only internal thing is blue printing/balancing.

With regards to PTG and Speed WC, I think Tom Milner did not like the way his cars were continually getting weight added. I don't have an exact quote, but I think he feels the SCCA is intent on not letting the BMWs show their true capability.

lemming
12-17-2003, 03:45 PM

My car is equivalent to BMW Club Racing I-stock. Intake, exhaust & chip. Only internal thing is blue printing/balancing.

With regards to PTG and Speed WC, I think Tom Milner did not like the way his cars were continually getting weight added. I don't have an exact quote, but I think he feels the SCCA is intent on not letting the BMWs show their true capability.

oh. okay. i get it. (your engine).

i agree with milner. if they're not going to let PTG use a small block v8 but keep penalizing them disproportionately for winning, that's really a good beef.

scottn2retro
12-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Hmmm . . . DannO posted that it looks like PTG will be going to Grand Am Cup.

Looks like the CTS racer could be trying to catch just the Audis & PorkChops :smile:

bren
12-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Hmmm . . . DannO posted that it looks like PTG will be going to Grand Am Cup.

Looks like the CTS racer could be trying to catch just the Audis & PokChops :smile:
I was watching "the year in racing" on the Speed Channel last night and they made reference to BMW possibly joining the competition in GrandAm next year.

The HACK
12-18-2003, 12:43 PM
SCCA seems to have a beef with BMWs. They disqualified TC Kline fromrunning in the National run-offs with his Z4s simply because the "hard-tops weren't available for purchase at the time the Z4 went on sale", despite the fact that the TC Kline Z4s are LESS competitive due to the fact that they don't have hard roof, and suffers a big aerodynamic penalty already.

That, and they probably realized that they'd have to put a 500lbs ballast in the Z4s in order to make the rest of the field competitive. :roll:

lemming
12-18-2003, 01:07 PM
SCCA seems to have a beef with BMWs. They disqualified TC Kline fromrunning in the National run-offs with his Z4s simply because the "hard-tops weren't available for purchase at the time the Z4 went on sale", despite the fact that the TC Kline Z4s are LESS competitive due to the fact that they don't have hard roof, and suffers a big aerodynamic penalty already.

That, and they probably realized that they'd have to put a 500lbs ballast in the Z4s in order to make the rest of the field competitive. :roll:

agreed. it's a bunch of crap.

the PTG M3s just handle better than anyone else out there (that plus quality drivers) and they're down on power compared to ANY other vehicle in their class and they still get creamed with weight.

and that whole z4 thing was so f*cking ridiculous. 'got a soft spot for the z4s since steve pfeffer was my instructor at bondurant. curmudgeon of a guy.

right up m y alley. :smile:

SCA
12-18-2003, 01:27 PM

That is what I heard he his doing (possibly coming back to ALMS). Apparently they (Milner & WC) didn't see eye to eye about somethings and if he can't dominate he is extremely unhappy.

scottn2retro
12-18-2003, 02:01 PM
That is what I heard he his doing (possibly coming back to ALMS). Apparently they (Milner & WC) didn't see eye to eye about somethings and if he can't dominate he is extremely unhappy.

Yeah, I'll bet he is. BMW pays them well to win. :smile:

It's a shame Speed WC will lose them, I think they helped draw more attention to the series last year and helped it continue to grow - just like I think ALMS missed them last year when the GT class became the Porkchop Cup (:yawn:) with no BMWs in the field.

It looks like Grand Am Cup may be the place to watch BMWs race next year - they already have the popular TC Kline Z4s.

Speaking of factory teams, is Turner Motorsports close to becoming a second BMW factory team here in the US? Bill Auberlen drove for them the last 2 seasons (and from what I understand, that is not easy to make happen) and I saw a BMW ad in the Roundel feature Bill A. in the TMS car (and that could just be part of the agreement that allowed Bill to drive for TMS). I've also heard that TMS is able to get their hands on approved Motorsport parts before the other Speed WC Touring Teams. :dunno:

lemming
12-18-2003, 02:33 PM
......yeah.

about that.

i don't think any of the other sponsors take well to losing, either.

SCA
12-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I'll bet he is. BMW pays them well to win. :smile:

It's a shame Speed WC will lose them, I think they helped draw more attention to the series last year and helped it continue to grow - just like I think ALMS missed them last year when the GT class became the Porkchop Cup (:yawn:) with no BMWs in the field.

It looks like Grand Am Cup may be the place to watch BMWs race next year - they already have the popular TC Kline Z4s.

Speaking of factory teams, is Turner Motorsports close to becoming a second BMW factory team here in the US? Bill Auberlen drove for them the last 2 seasons (and from what I understand, that is not easy to make happen) and I saw a BMW ad in the Roundel feature Bill A. in the TMS car (and that could just be part of the agreement that allowed Bill to drive for TMS). I've also heard that TMS is able to get their hands on approved Motorsport parts before the other Speed WC Touring Teams. :dunno:

Bill Auberlen is leaving WC and Tunrer Motorsport. It is rumored that he believes it is hurting his immage.

lemming
12-18-2003, 04:30 PM
[quote=ptg95m3]Yeah, I'll bet he is. BMW pays them well to win. :smile:

what image does he have other than being a factory BMW driver?

;)