PDA

View Full Version : E90 wheel/tire weight

Optimus Prime
04-05-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm looking at some summer wheel/tire combos, and I was wondering how heavy the current wheel/tire combo is. Any idea where I might find this info?

TIA

Nick M3
04-05-2006, 10:20 AM
330i SP is >60lbs.

You can assume that you'll lose at least 50lbs. off the car if you choose wisely. 80lbs. is not impossible.

ff
04-05-2006, 10:27 AM
>60 lbs? :eek: :eek:

The ZHP setup was ~55 lbs, which was too much. The E90 ZHP will probably end up w/ 70 LB 18's.

TD
04-05-2006, 10:31 AM

The ZHP setup was ~55 lbs, which was too much. The E90 ZHP will probably end up w/ 70 LB 18's.
If the E90 ZSP has 18s, the E90 ZHP would likely have 19s.

Nick M3
04-05-2006, 10:31 AM

The flipside is that the enormous curb weight increase is all in the wheels. :p

Optimus Prime
04-05-2006, 10:44 AM
330i SP is >60lbs.

You can assume that you'll lose at least 50lbs. off the car if you choose wisely. 80lbs. is not impossible.

60 lbs per wheel/tire? :eek:

I found some nice BBS wheels that are just under 18 lbs...
What tires are recomended?

Sharp11
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
LarryN, over at the 'fest, did a write-up wrt his experience swapping out the E90's standard SP wheel/tire combo, reducing the car's weight to within a few pounds of an E46, then autocrossing it.

Ed

IndyMike
04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
60 lbs per wheel/tire? :eek:

I found some nice BBS wheels that are just under 18 lbs...
What tires are recomended?
Michy PS2's or Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's seem to be the best performing rubbers of choice.

Optimus Prime
04-05-2006, 11:19 AM
LarryN, over at the 'fest, did a write-up wrt his experience swapping out the E90's standard SP wheel/tire combo, reducing the car's weight to within a few pounds of an E46, then autocrossing it.

Ed

This one?
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111170

ff
04-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Michy PS2's or Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's seem to be the best performing rubbers of choice.

That's what I would've suggested as well. Those tires also came out on top in a recent hi-po tire comparison. The same comparo ranked the new Conti Sport II's very high too, but I simply can't see myself owning another pair of Conti's. Two vehicles I've recentlly owned came w/ them, and I didn't like the tires one bit.

I've been very happy w/ the RE-040's and RE-050's that I own/have owned, too. I don't have much to compare them too, but they've performed very well for me in every respect.

bren
04-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Personally I wouldn't spend Michelin or Goodyear money when Hankook, Toyo and Kumho sell competent tires for half the price.

IndyMike
04-05-2006, 11:39 AM
I've been very happy w/ the RE-040's and RE-050's that I own/have owned, too. I don't have much to compare them too, but they've performed very well for me in every respect.
:+1

Lots of people like to rag on the RE040's, but personally I have nothing but high praise for them. I've driven in all kinds of weather and conditions (including a virtual blizzard up in the mountains of Pennsylvania when bringing it home after ED redelivery from MD), and they have never failed me. I can't imagine the PS2's or GS-D3's being a more versatile tire, but I'm willing to find out some day soon.

Optimus Prime
04-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Personally I wouldn't spend Michelin or Goodyear money when Hankook, Toyo and Kumho sell competent tires for half the price.

I generally aim higher than "competent" when it comes to tires. If the other guys have a tire model that is "as good as" or "better", then I'd be all ears. IMHO tires are the last thing to skimp on, and Michelin has always done well for me on cars and motorcycles.

TD
04-05-2006, 12:22 PM
After my bad experience with Kumhos, I'm reluctant to try any of these discount performance brands again.

bren
04-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I generally aim higher than "competent" when it comes to tires. If the other guys have a tire model that is "as good as" or "better", then I'd be all ears.
IMO, lower price and competence = better.

I suppose marketing and brand image are tough to overcome :dunno:

IndyMike
04-05-2006, 12:42 PM

Yeah. Maybe when you see those bargain basement rubbers run in F1, Indy cars and NASCAR they'll finally get the credit they really deserve. :rolleyes:

:D

Optimus Prime
04-05-2006, 12:44 PM

I think tires are the most important safety feature on a vehicle. If spending twice as much on tires means I put my family at less risk, then I'll do it. Perhaps it's just the motorcycling mindset where tires can easily be the difference between keeping the shiny side up and eating through a straw for the rest of your life. I really don't see how I can justify the $$ savings against the poorer performance and thus poorer safety involved with some tires. :dunno:

rumatt
04-05-2006, 12:47 PM

:stupid:

I don't get the desire to spend big money for a tiny improvement in grip, for street driving. If safety is the concern, you can use the money you save to buy the cheaper tires more often so you have plenty of tread depth for rain.

Weren't the Hankook's Andy used like $95/tire? He used them most of the year in the dry, and stuck with them for rain tires in Topeka (ie, excellent rain grip).

After my bad experience with Kumhos, I'm reluctant to try any of these discount performance brands again.

I still think something went horribly wrong with your experiment, and you should be careful generalizing to all "discount" tires based on your experience. The tires you hated, and said had no grip were (at one time) one of the favorites for dry weather Topeka street tire class. Something doesn't add up. The race-freaks probably shaved theirs but still....

bren
04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Yeah. Maybe when you see those bargain basement rubbers run in F1, Indy cars and NASCAR they'll finally get the credit they really deserve. :rolleyes:

I see them every weekend on real world "race" cars and they offer far more performance than the "big" names.

The F1/NASCAR connection is about money and lots of it. You do realize the sanctioning body dictates what tires they can use right?

bren
04-05-2006, 01:00 PM
I think tires are the most important safety feature on a vehicle. If spending twice as much on tires means I put my family at less risk, then I'll do it. Perhaps it's just the motorcycling mindset where tires can easily be the difference between keeping the shiny side up and eating through a straw for the rest of your life. I really don't see how I can justify the $$ savings against the poorer performance and thus poorer safety involved with some tires. :dunno:
All you are doing is assuming that b/c these other companies don't have big name brands and marketing budgets that the tires are unsafe.

What exactly is it you think will happen? Remember the Bridgestone/Firestone issue? You'd happily buy Bridgestone tires though right? I've seen far more S03's with tread separation than ill balanced Kumhos (IIRC TD's complaint.)

rumatt
04-05-2006, 01:09 PM
If spending twice as much on tires means I put my family at less risk

I agree...

But what do you use to determine whether that "if" is true?

Do you replace your tires when the tread gets near 4/32 to ensure good rain performance?

Nick M3
04-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I agree...

But what do you use to determine whether that "if" is true?

Do you replace your tires when the tread gets near 4/32 to ensure good rain performance?
Here's a better question: How far do you run down those expensive tires because you don't want to pay twice as much for a new set?

I can't imagine why anyone would spend more than the cost of the Toyo T1-R on a street tire.

if you're running the tread on your expensive tires past 50% to save money, you're significantly compromising the safety of your family.

iateyourcheese
04-05-2006, 01:15 PM

Umm... having grown up not too far from Hoosier Tire, I remember the outrage that happened when Indy mandated Goodyear. It wasn't technical credit that spurred the shift, it was all about the big money contract.

Edit: I see that I was too late.

Nick M3
04-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Umm... having grown up not too far from Hoosier Tire, I remember the outrage that happened when Indy mandated Goodyear. It wasn't technical credit that spurred the shift, it was all about the big money contract.

Edit: I see that I was too late.
IIRC, Goodyear was seriously PO'd because the Hohos lasted longer and went faster.

rumatt
04-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Here's a better question: How far do you run down those expensive tires because you don't want to pay twice as much for a new set?

:flipoff:

Nick M3
04-05-2006, 01:27 PM
:flipoff:
Dude, if I read your posts I might be contaminated by your love for sausage.

IndyMike
04-05-2006, 02:07 PM
I see them every weekend on real world "race" cars and they offer far more performance than the "big" names.

The F1/NASCAR connection is about money and lots of it. You do realize the sanctioning body dictates what tires they can use right?
Sorry, guess my sarcasm was less than obvious.

I don't think there is much difference, if any, performance or safety wise between the well and lesser known tire brands.

But until they can break through the good ol' boy network and land a major gig on a circuit where their real world "race cars" run the general perception among the public at large, to wit that bigger is better, will prevail.

The track junkie notwithstanding.

Optimus Prime
04-05-2006, 02:12 PM
All you are doing is assuming that b/c these other companies don't have big name brands and marketing budgets that the tires are unsafe.

What exactly is it you think will happen? Remember the Bridgestone/Firestone issue? You'd happily buy Bridgestone tires though right? I've seen far more S03's with tread separation than ill balanced Kumhos (IIRC TD's complaint.)
Please reread my post:
I generally aim higher than "competent" when it comes to tires. If the other guys have a tire model that is "as good as" or "better", then I'd be all ears. IMHO tires are the last thing to skimp on, and Michelin has always done well for me on cars and motorcycles.
You said the others offered "competent" tires. This seemed to imply they were merely ok, and not comparable to the bigger names. I then said that I would gladly take recommendations for other brand tires if the tire model was of acceptably high quality.

All I'm saying is that I take tire quality seriously, but I don't have enough specific knowledge to know if the lesser known brands have a model that compete with the big guys. Instead of bagging on me for a attitude you incorrectly perceive, perhaps someone could actually give some insight into lesser known tires that actually work well. Maybe some actual tires you think perform at a very high level. I don't give a damn about $$ or name, I want quality not mere competence.

bren
04-05-2006, 02:24 PM
You said the others offered "competent" tires. This seemed to imply they were merely ok, and not comparable to the bigger names.
Obviously we've had a bit of a communication issue here....

competent = comparable

Optimus Prime
04-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Obviously we've had a bit of a communication issue here....
competent = comparable

Ah, I see. My bad. Anybody have any opinions of the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3?

The recent Car and Driver test had them ranked best for wet and 4th for dry performance.

lemming
04-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Ah, I see. My bad. Anybody have any opinions of the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3?

The recent Car and Driver test had them ranked best for wet and 4th for dry performance.

the F1 GS-D3s are okay. as is typical for any V-tread design that i've owned, you lose ultimate dry grip because of the water evacuation properties. they're damn good in rain.

for ultimate dry grip, i would avoid 'em, personally. i bought them because they're cheap. instead of getting the OEM F1 EMT tires, i opted for the GS-D3s and put it this way.....i think i've prolonged the life of my infamousely fragile CTS-V rear diff. because of the tire swap. hee hee hee (much less ultimate grip and less wheelhop).