PDA

View Full Version : Hot Damn, F1's looking interesting this year!

Nick M3
03-12-2006, 10:10 AM
We might have at least FIVE competitive teams if this race is anything to go on... And I can't wait to see what Rosberg does when no one hits him.

lemming
03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
it was a great race to watch.

very enjoyable.

blee
03-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Yup, good race and good way to start the season. Of course, there are some familiar themes going on already. Alonso's picking up where he left off, MS is back in the hunt, Kimi is a World Champion in need of some luck. Oh, and Sato is still crashing.

One last thought: At low engine speeds, the new V8s sound a lot like "regular" V8s.

lemming
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
does this mean we can stop with the v10 insanity in cars and go back to big honking v8s in the M5 and so forth?

:-D

blee
03-12-2006, 10:24 PM
does this mean we can stop with the v10 insanity in cars and go back to big honking v8s in the M5 and so forth?

:-D
As long as they've got 20,000 RPM rev limiters. (no joke, according to the Speed commentators.)

Nick M3
03-13-2006, 12:47 AM
As long as they've got 20,000 RPM rev limiters. (no joke, according to the Speed commentators.)
Only the Cosworth. Everyone else is a fair bit off.

rumatt
03-13-2006, 12:48 AM
As long as they've got 20,000 RPM rev limiters.

Yeah, but that's just compensating for their lack of torque.

:ack:

Plaz
03-13-2006, 06:39 AM
it was a great race to watch.

very enjoyable.

:+1

blee
03-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Only the Cosworth. Everyone else is a fair bit off.
Didn't help Cosworth very much in the end.

zach
03-13-2006, 09:26 AM
I really wish Boston Comcast had the Speed Channel.

Nick M3
03-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Didn't help Cosworth very much in the end.
I'd like to see Rosberg run without getting taken out in the first lap. Remember that he got where he was after going in for a new wing, and then getting pushed into the garage when the engine wouldn't fire.

I'm pretty sure he spent a hell of a lot more time in the pits than, say, Massa...

Plaz
03-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Massa was a mess. Kimi was amazing, to come back from dead last. Very impressive. The way he just plowed past everyone, while running with a full fuel load, was just phenomenal.

blee
03-13-2006, 10:08 AM
I think the McLaren-Mercedes drivers are the most talented pair in the sport, but each of them has issues. Kimi has everything it takes to win the season, and he's had it for at least 2-3 seasons running, but he's been seriously hampered by cars that blow up or fall apart before the checkered flag. JPM, my former favorite driver, has better luck and almost as much skill, but I think he gives up too easily. He's got the same engineering team as KR but managed only to maintain his qualifying spot throughout the race. Raikkonnen, meanwhile, could have won the whole damn thing if he'd started closer to the front of the grid.

Plaz
03-13-2006, 10:20 AM
The new McLaren is just beautiful, too...

http://images.f1racing.net/news/56537.jpg

IndyMike
03-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Personally, I was really impressed with how well the Sauber BMW boys ran; especially Villenueve who smoked them all. I know it's just the first gig, but it's quite obvious at this point that it was Sir Franks chassis' and setups that were the problem all along. :rolleyes:

Note: I hope that's not the 8 they are planning in putting in the next M3. If so they better plan to provide an available FCP option; fire control package.

bren
03-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Kimi has everything it takes to win the season, and he's had it for at least 2-3 seasons running, but he's been seriously hampered by cars that blow up or fall apart before the checkered flag.
A cynic would suggest that maybe Kimi is the reason those cars aren't holding up.

ff
03-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Kimi is the reason those cars aren't holding up.

blee
03-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Kimi is the reason those cars aren't holding up.
Haven't heard that one before. He's obviously pushing only as hard as he needs to be competitive. If the car isn't strong enough to be competitive, that's the team's problem.

Nick M3
03-13-2006, 06:07 PM
Haven't heard that one before. He's obviously pushing only as hard as he needs to be competitive. If the car isn't strong enough to be competitive, that's the team's problem.
I'd say it's a combination of the two.

bren
03-13-2006, 08:04 PM
They were running through Kimi's list of failures over his career during the race, it was quite lengthy.

BahnBaum
03-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Kimi had to be the saddest looking podium participant ever. Considering where he came from, you'd have thought he would have cracked a small smile.

Alex

lemming
03-13-2006, 10:36 PM
could someone flesh out again why the v8s are so unstable and unbalanced at high rpms?

i heard it once but they didn't really go into detail about it. what i mean is: how can a v8 be any more imbalanced or have more vibration than a v10? is there something obvious in the v10 engine layout that is more adept at canceling out engine vibrations than the v8 layout?

Nick M3
03-14-2006, 08:58 AM
could someone flesh out again why the v8s are so unstable and unbalanced at high rpms?

i heard it once but they didn't really go into detail about it. what i mean is: how can a v8 be any more imbalanced or have more vibration than a v10? is there something obvious in the v10 engine layout that is more adept at canceling out engine vibrations than the v8 layout?
It's the RPM range. The V10s rev past their worst harmonics. The V8s don't. IIRC, the V10s were much worse at lower revs.

blee
03-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Kimi had to be the saddest looking podium participant ever. Considering where he came from, you'd have thought he would have cracked a small smile.

Alex
That man smiles for no one. He's the Iceman.