PDA

View Full Version : I am about to speak blasphemy

Rob
12-13-2003, 10:02 PM
I miss using cleaner waxes.

I prepped the car today for a polish/wax session tomorrrow. Washed, taped and clayed. I wasn't up to doing the polish tonight, so instead I waxed the wheels. I use turtle wax on the wheels because bos doesn't stand up to the abuse as well. Wipe it on, wipe it off, it's easy and it removes brake dust that I didn't get off. I found myself thinking "well, this car is white - maybe I should try it on the whole car. I wouldn't have to see a bit of dirt on the wax pad and think I hadn't washed it well enough again."

I know it can add swirl marks. I know the shine doesn't compare with my normal finished product. But it sure is easy.

Side note no. 1: Wash, tape and clay was about 5 hours. Call me psychotic. I expect the polish, prep with 21S paint prep and wax to take something similar. Then I will start to clean the interior. *sigh*

Side note no. 2: I thought I had a new Griot's clay bar, but I didn't. I went to the auto parts store around the corner and bought a Mother's bar. I dropped it halfway through and had to go buy another one. Since I now had two bottles of Mother's detail spray that I had no use for (it comes in a kit and was the only clay bar available), I decided to use the Mother's stuff for the clay. Mother's clay bars work way better with Mother's detail spray then they do with Speed Shine. No idea why. Probably the same reason that Speed Shine works better as a quick detail spray.

Side note no. 3: At least it's not black.

RKT BMR
12-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Side note no. 1: Wash, tape and clay was about 5 hours. Call me psychotic. I expect the polish, prep with 21S paint prep and wax to take something similar. Then I will start to clean the interior. *sigh*
Pictures? I rarely tape. I'd like to see your method. In fact, the only time I do any masking is when I'm polishing the front windshield.

I'm pretty fanatical too, though. Some pictures could certainly set me off, requiring that I add another coupla hours to my semi-annual megadetail sessions :lol:

Rob
12-30-2003, 01:49 PM
I posted a pic of the finished product in a different thread. It wasn't all that spectacular. A clean white car on a cloudy day doesn't do the same thing for me that a gleaming black car on a sunny day did. Easier to take care of though.

I will take a pic the next time I tape. I just put painter's masking tape over the black trim. It saves the time of having to put peanut butter on the spots I wax on the trim. Let's me be a little more care free with the orbital polisher, too. I am sure there is a downside of residue that collects dirt or something, but I add Griot's rubber and vinyl dressing afterwards, so it's all good.