PDA

View Full Version : Signed up for Sirius online 3-day trial...

TD
02-28-2006, 03:01 PM
As it's looking less and less likely that I'll be able to do a fully-integrated XM install on the E90, I wanted to see if I could live with Sirius.

I've only been streaming it for about 5 minutes, so no real impression so far. Although looking at the channels and their descriptions, Sirius certainly appears to be segmenting their rock differently than XM.

I'm going to try my best to be objective.

JST
02-28-2006, 03:04 PM
As it's looking less and less likely that I'll be able to do a fully-integrated XM install on the E90, I wanted to see if I could live with Sirius.

I've only been streaming it for about 5 minutes, so no real impression so far. Although looking at the channels and their descriptions, Sirius certainly appears to be segmenting their rock differently than XM.

I'm going to try my best to be objective.

You'll get used to it. It's not as good as XM, but it's not bad, and there is a lot of the same music played on both. There are some nice things--like the CBC channel, and BBC Radio 1.

TD
02-28-2006, 03:05 PM
You'll get used to it. It's not as good as XM, but it's not bad, and there is a lot of the same music played on both. There are some nice things--like the CBC channel, and BBC Radio 1.
What are your music channel recommendations?

I have SIRIUS Disorder playing right now. But "it's definitely sucking" at the moment (said in my best VW dominatrix voice).

I tried Alt Nation earlier but it seems a bit too mainstream (sort of late '90s 'HFS).

On to Left of Center.

TD
02-28-2006, 03:10 PM
BTW, neither of those are available on the free trial.

JST
02-28-2006, 03:14 PM
What are your music channel recommendations?

I have SIRIUS Disorder playing right now. But "it's definitely sucking" at the moment (said in my best VW dominatrix voice).

I tried Alt Nation earlier but it seems a bit too mainstream (sort of late '90s 'HFS).

First Wave, Alt Nation, Left of Center, Disorder (which, as you note, ranges from interesting to crap), BBC Radio 1 (depending on the show), CBC (same caveat) (channel 94), Iceberg (channel 95; more Canadian music), Coffee House (sort of like XM Cafe).

Point of interest--why is Canada such a huge producer of musical talent? Is it all down to CanCon laws?

JST
02-28-2006, 03:15 PM
BTW, neither of those are available on the free trial.

That's lame.

Nick M3
02-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Sirius sucks balls.

Period.

End of story.

Half the time I end up just listening to DC101 because it's better than anything I can find on that crapfest.

TD
02-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Now they're talking between songs on left of Center and, you're right, we have the Cheesy-DJ Factor.

Grrr...

But they've playing two obscure Flaming Lips songs in a row following Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, so I'm not complaining.

I do prefer the continual streaming music feel of XM. Why waste money on DJs? That's what the screen is for.

TD
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
That's lame.
Nor is Iceberg.

Under rock:

14 | Classic Vinyl The top tracks from classic rock's most formative years.
15 | Classic Rewind Classic rock's 2nd generation, with songs from the late '70s onward.
16 | The Vault Deeper cuts from classic rock legends.
17 | Jam_ON Improvisational, eclectic rock music from today's best jam bands.
18 | The Spectrum World-class rock from adult album alternative artists.
19 | Buzzsaw Hard, heavy, stadium-shaking classic rock.
20 | Octane Pure, high-powered hard rock that's loud, uncensored and in your face.
21 | Alt Nation The latest alternative rock releases and the best alt-rock of the '90s
22 | First Wave Alternative rock's pioneering artists and songs.
23 | Hair Nation Vintage rock from the big hair '80s.
24 | SIRIUS Disorder Adventurous music for grownups, from a diversity of styles and eras.
25 | Underground Garage The coolest rock 'n' roll records. Channel produced by Little Steven.
26 | Left Of Center The best in college, indie, alternative and underground rock.
27 | Hard Attack The heaviest metal on or off the planet, from the ones that created it
28 | Faction Rock, punk, hip-hop and more, especially for action sports fans.
30 | The Coffee House Acoustic singer-songwriters, jazzy coffee house classics and crooners.
31 | Radio Margaritaville Escape to Jimmy Buffett's Radio Margaritaville.
32 | Reggae Rhythms Reggae music from its '60s roots to today's exciting sounds.
98 | Rolling Stones Radio If The Rolling Stones recorded it, you'll probably hear it here!

And, IMO, the idea of a station that plays the Rolling Stones exclusively might be as big of a turnoff as knowing $12 of the $13 monthly charge would go to Howard Stern.

Nick M3
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Now they're talking between songs on left of Center and, you're right, we have the Cheesy-DJ Factor.

Grrr...

But they've playing two obscure Flaming Lips songs in a row following Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, so I'm not complaining.

I do prefer the continual streaming music feel of XM. Why waste money on DJs? That's what the screen is for.
The DJs won't shut the fuck up. And they have programs where they don't show song info, so you only get the DJ.

JST
02-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Nor is Iceberg.

Under rock:

And, IMO, the idea of a station that plays the Rolling Stones exclusively might be as big of a turnoff as knowing $12 of the $13 monthly charge would go to Howard Stern.

Look under "International."

One of my other big complaints with Sirius is how they classify their channels.

Perhaps you will enjoy all Elvis radio? Or Margaritaville?

TD
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Please tell me that there is more international than this:

90 | Universo Latino A vibrant blend of today's greatest Latin music and artists.
91 | Mexicana Regional Mexican music at its best.
92 | Rumbon The biggest hits of Reggaeton, Tropical, Salsa & Merengue music.

This is all of the International available on the free trial.

BTW, have you listened to XM100 lately? Very cool.

TD
02-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Look under "International."

One of my other big complaints with Sirius is how they classify their channels.

Perhaps you will enjoy all Elvis radio? Or Margaritaville?
Um, no.

Did they run out of ideas?

JST
02-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Please tell me that there is more international than this:

BTW, have you listened to XM100 lately? Very cool.

No--I will try that.

On International, I get CBC 3, Iceberg, French Canadian music (!), something called The Globe, and, weirdly, Rolling Stones Radio.

BBC is under "Pop."

Plaz
02-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Interesting... of the few people I know who have compared systems, they all thought Sirius' music offerings were better than XM's.

TD
02-28-2006, 03:29 PM
No--I will try that.

On International, I get CBC 3, Iceberg, French Canadian music (!), something called The Globe, and, weirdly, Rolling Stones Radio.

BBC is under "Pop."

Under Pop on the free trial we have:

1 | SIRIUS Hits 1 The songs at the top of the charts and the latest pop hits.
2 | StarLite Comtemporary lite songs from the brightest stars in pop music.
3 | SIRIUS Love Romantic ballads and soft pop music, featuring lyrics of love.
4 | Movin' Easy Soft & Easy favorites all day and all night.
5 | SIRIUS Gold Rock & roll's roots, from the late '50s and early '60s.
6 | '60s Vibrations Relive the musical revolution of the '60s and early '70s.
7 | Totally '70s The most popular music from the '70s.
8 | Big '80s The defining hit music of the '80s.
9 | The Pulse From pop to rock, this is the 90's & Now.
10 | The Bridge The softer side of classic and contemporary rock.
11 | BBC Radio 1 The best new music from the U.K. direct from London.
12 | Super Shuffle The best of SIRIUS music shuffled on one 'super' station.
13 | Elvis Radio From the early years to his comeback, its all music from Elvis Presley
116 | Kids Stuff Fun music, stories and more - just for kids!

It's there. BTW, that does sound interesting. I'll try it next.

Per the XM site:

Air Musique - XM 100 - 100% Commercial-Free

New & Emerging Music - Broadcast in French

Experience the leading edge of the world music scene. Listen in for a fusion of punk, hip-hop, metal, electronic and alternative rock music.

There is limited DJ talking and it's all in French.

Plaz
02-28-2006, 03:31 PM

And you'd feel better about subsidizing Oprah? :rolleyes:

TD
02-28-2006, 03:32 PM
And you'd feel better about subsidizing Oprah? :rolleyes:
XM has, what, 5 times the subscriber base and her contract is what fraction of Stern's?

So maybe $1/mo of mine goes to her.

Plus, she doesn't bother me nearly as much as he does.

TD
02-28-2006, 03:35 PM
XM has, what, 5 times the subscriber base and her contract is what fraction of Stern's?

So maybe $1/mo of mine goes to her.

Plus, she doesn't bother me nearly as much as he does.
BTW, Left of Center has kept me interested in spite of the Dj going on for 1 min + during the last break about how badly his nose was running (which included multiple loud snotty sniff sounds). He compared himself to "that kid" in school whose nose was visibly dripping snot onto his upper lip.

Then they started playing Wilco. Which is cool. (EDIT- And now Modest Mouse)

So, so far, the music is acceptably cool but the feel is VERY corporate radio.

TD
02-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Jesus f'ing Christ. 30+ seconds of this asshole between every song. Amazing.

Must try something else.

Plaz
02-28-2006, 03:57 PM
XM has, what, 5 times the subscriber base

Not anymore. Just less than 2x as of the end of '05... (6 mil to 3.3 mil) and the current growth rate of Sirius since Stern started broadcasting is 2x that of XM.

Hence the panic over at XM, with board members resigning in protest, etc.

I think they'll eventually merge anyway.

TD
02-28-2006, 04:02 PM
On any channel, I have yet to hear two songs play back to back without some sort of crap between them. If there's no DJ blather, there's a cheesy station ID blurb.

This is going to be tough. I might have to get an XM MyFi and just use the wireless FM modulator.

Nick M3
02-28-2006, 04:53 PM
On any channel, I have yet to hear two songs play back to back without some sort of crap between them. If there's no DJ blather, there's a cheesy station ID blurb.

This is going to be tough. I might have to get an XM MyFi and just use the wireless FM modulator.
You do realize that all E90s have a line-in jack in the armrest, right?

JST
02-28-2006, 05:00 PM
You do realize that all E90s have a line-in jack in the armrest, right?

I don't think he does.

That does make things easier.

Just a question of where to mount the controller.

TD
02-28-2006, 05:02 PM
I don't think he does.

That does make things easier.

Just a question of where to mount the controller.
Actually, I think they all do. But I'll check.

BTW, I've now been listening in the background for a few hours. The only station I'm liking the music on is Left of Center. And, even though the DJ has changed, they insist on talking between EVERY song.

This is not worth $13/mo.

Mr. The Edge
02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
TD, I recall you being a fan of some old school rap. Try out "BackSpin" - Channel 43. I listen to this one quite frequently.

TD
02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
TD, I recall you being a fan of some old school rap. Try out "BackSpin" - Channel 43. I listen to this one quite frequently.
There is a similar sounding station on XM and I listen to it from time to time. While I have CDs from Public Enemy and De La Soul in my CD changer as we speak, some of the old school hip hop/rap is starting to grate on me. So I don't listen as much as I used to.

XM's station is "The Rhyme", XM 65.

ZBB
02-28-2006, 07:24 PM
First Wave, Alt Nation, Left of Center, Disorder (which, as you note, ranges from interesting to crap), BBC Radio 1 (depending on the show), CBC (same caveat) (channel 94), Iceberg (channel 95; more Canadian music), Coffee House (sort of like XM Cafe).

Since my wife is Canadian, she may get Sirius with her new car (just beginning the search, but an A3 or e91 seem to be topping the list so far).

Sirius did their homework on Canada -- and getting the CBC stations was a real win. My mom has Sirius in her car -- so I may have to borrow it for an afternoon and poke around the stations to get my impression.

XM's Canadian news channel "Canada 365" (or something like that) really sucks, their Canadian comedy channel has obvious Canadian content (and there's only so many Newfie jokes that one can take). So that's why my wife would probably get Sirius instead...

Point of interest--why is Canada such a huge producer of musical talent? Is it all down to CanCon laws?

I think that's part of it -- a relatively small population with domestic content laws for radio / tv programming drives the media companies to pick-up more young/independent/aspiring artists than we do down here. You then get them public exposure, some initial record sales, a single that hits international charts... and mostly without the heavily promoted "top 40" you get down here with record companies forcing crap into our ears...

IndyMike
02-28-2006, 08:34 PM
Since my wife is Canadian, she may get Sirius with her new car (just beginning the search, but an A3 or e91 seem to be topping the list so far). :thumbup: on the A3. Somebody here needs to buy it and give us an honest report on it before I buy one.

I think that's part of it -- a relatively small population with domestic content laws for radio / tv programming drives the media companies to pick-up more young/independent/aspiring artists than we do down here. You then get them public exposure, some initial record sales, a single that hits international charts... and mostly without the heavily promoted "top 40" you get down here with record companies forcing crap into our ears...Very similar to the late 70's and early to mid 80's when musical artists would ply their trade on the European Continent first, then if/when their material stuck and they had their act down sufficiently the recording companies would release their most popular tunes to the more fickle American market. It only makes economic (not to mention geographic) sense to use the Canadian market as a test bed for talent now that they have sufficiently been 'Americanized'. ;)

Just a little off topic, but other than the below list what other many native born Canadian bands/artists actually made it? :scratch:

Rush
Neil Young
Chilliwac :eeps:
The McKenzie Bros. :rolleyes:

Plaz
02-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Just a little off topic, but other than the below list what other many native born Canadian bands/artists actually made it? :scratch:

Rush
Neil Young

Celine Dion
Paul Shaffer
Anne Murray
William Shatner

A true cavalcade of awesome musical genius. :lol:

dan
02-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Adams, Bryan: Musician. "Cuts Like a Knife", "Everything I Do, I Do It For You"
Anka, Paul: Musician. "Diana", "My Way", "The Tonight Show Theme"
April Wine: Band. "You Could Have Been A Lady", "Bad Side Of The Moon"
Arden, Jann: Musician. "Living Under June"
Bachman-Turner-Overdrive: Band. "Let It Ride", "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"
Barenaked Ladies: Band. "If I Had $1,000,000", "Be My Yoko Ono"
Charlebois, Robert: Musician.
Cockburn, Bruce: Musician. "Wondering Where the Lions Are", "If I Had a Rocket Launcher"
Cohen, Leonard: Author, Musician. "Suzanne", "Beautiful Losers",
Cole, Holly: Singer. The Holly Cole Trio
The Cowboy Junkies: Band. "The Trinity Session", "Black-Eyed Man"
The Crash Test Dummies: Band. "God Shuffled His Feet", "Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, Mmm"
Dion, Celine: Singer. "Beauty and the Beast"
Ferguson, Maynard: Jazz Trumpeter. "Gonna Fly Now" theme from Rocky
Ferron: Musician. "Phantom Center"
Gould, Glenn: Classical Pianist. "Thirty Two Short Films About Glenn Gould"
The Guess Who: Band. "American Woman"
Hart, Corey: Musician. "Sunglasses at Night"
Healey, Jeff: Musician. "Angel Eyes", "Confidence Man"
Diana Krall: Jazz
Kreviazuk, Chantal: Musician. "Under these Rocks and Stones"
lang, k.d.: Musician. "Absolute Torch and Twang", "Ingenue"
Lanois, Daniel: Producer, Musician. "Acadie", also produced U2 and Bob Dylan :D
Lightfoot, Gordon: Musician. "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", "If You Could Read My Mind"
Lombardo, Guy: Musician, Band Leader.
McGarrigle, Kate and Anna: Musicians. "Heart Like a Wheel", "Heartbeats Accelerating"
MacIsaac, Ashley: Musician. "Hi, How Are You Today?"
McKennitt, Loreena: Musician. "The Mask and Mirror", "The Book Of Secrets"
McLachlan, Sarah: Musician. "Fumbling Towards Ecstasy"
Mitchell, Joni: Musician. "Raised on Robbery", "Help Me", "Free Man in Paris"
Morissette, Alanis: Musician. "You Oughta Know", "Jagged Little Pill"
Murray, Anne: Musician. "Snowbird", "You Needed Me"
Parker, Jon Kimura : Classical concert pianist.
Peterson, Oscar: Jazz Pianist.
Plamondon, Luc: Composer. "Starmania"
The Pursuit of Happiness: Band. "I'm an Adult Now", "Two Girls In One"
Robertson, Robbie: Musician. Formerly of The Band, "Somewhere Down the Crazy River", "Storyville"
Rogers, Garnet: Folk Musician
Rogers, Stan: Folk Musician
Rough Trade: Band. "All Touch (and No Contact)", "High School Confidential"
Rush: Band. "The Spirit of Radio", "Tom Sawyer", newsgroup
Sainte-Marie, Buffy: Musician, Actress. "Universal Soldier", "Summer Boy"
Shaffer, Paul: Musician. band leader on "The Late Show with David Letterman"
Siberry, Jane: Musician. "Mimi on the Beach", "Love is Everything",biography
Skinny Puppy: Band. "Addiction", "Stairs and Flowers"
Snow, Hank: Musician. "I'm Moving On", "I've Been Everywhere"
Stratas, Teresa: Opera singer.
Twain, Shania: Musician , "The Woman In Me"
The Tragically Hip: Band. "New Orleans is Sinking"
Vannelli, Gino: Musician. "Black cars look better in the shade"
Voisine, Roch: Musician, Actor. "Hélène"
Neil Young: Musician. "Heart of Gold", "Southern Man", "Powderfinger"

ZBB
02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
:thumbup: on the A3. Somebody here needs to buy it and give us an honest report on it before I buy one.

She's wondering if its too small... Although she is coming from a MINI, she is 6' tall -- and is noticing the relative lack of headroom vs the MINI. She liked driving it (we tested a 2.0 DSG -- I liked it a lot). While the e90 is obviously bigger, the A3's back seat actually felt bigger, except in headroom. She's also noticing it in the driver's seat (even with it all the way down). That may be the deal killer...

Rush
Neil Young

Let's see:
Barenaked Ladies
Avril Lavign
Alanis Morrisette

Back to Sirius by the way... Speaking of CBC Radio 3 which is on Sirius, they have a "New Canadian Music" Podcast. Was listening to it a few months ago and they played a song by The Corb Lund Band -- its great modern, almost alternative, country... I ended up buying their "5 Dollar Bill" album after hearing just 1 song. Great album...

IndyMike
02-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Pretty comprehensive list, aty, and some great talent on there that I had either forgotten or didn't know were Canadian.

The Tragically Hip; anybody else heard these guys before? I saw them at a local venue here in the late 90's and I was really impressed. Somewhat similar in sound to Del Amitri and Toad the Wet Sprocket, or Big Head Todd & The Monsters.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread. We now return you to your original programming.

lemming
03-08-2006, 10:01 PM
so i'm not missing anything, am i?

never really been tempted to go Sirius but then again haven't ever really tried it, either.

TD
03-08-2006, 10:04 PM
At least for me, there is no way that Sirius justifies it's cost. Poor music selection. DJs that just simply won't shut the fuck up. And Howard Stern.

That's 0 for 3.

Looks like I'll be picking up a MyFi soon.

lemming
03-08-2006, 10:14 PM
At least for me, there is no way that Sirius justifies it's cost. Poor music selection. DJs that just simply won't shut the fuck up. And Howard Stern.

That's 0 for 3.

Looks like I'll be picking up a MyFi soon.

i didn't realize they had DJs and that is really one thing i really like about XM.

the only junk seems to be on the news channels where there are commercials. i wish i could get NFL games on XM, but MLB games are cool to have as well as the college football selection on XM.

oh yeah, and the British Open on XM is hilarious.

lemming
03-10-2006, 06:48 PM
TD:

i'm laughing out loud. i listened to XM65 today and while i know you not at all....i couldn't help but picture that scene in office space when mike bolton is sitting in traffic and then a homeless black dude walks by and he locks the door and turns off the rap music......a younger TD.

LOL.

j/k. but it's still funny.

equ
03-27-2006, 10:43 AM
That is pretty funny.

When I tried both I thought sirius had the advantage of more electronica channels (separating chillout/downtempo from techno/dance). I may give xm a try soon. I don't know if an integrated solution is possible for the e46 w/nav for xm. It is possible for sirius.