PDA

View Full Version : F1 to allow varied engines, but only so much fuel?

iateyourcheese
02-21-2006, 11:11 AM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060220-6223.html

(Link goes to a tech blog since the original article is sub. only)

"All kinds of motors will be allowed," Max was quoted as saying by the Italian La Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper, "but every car will get an equal amount of fuel."

"So it will be based on (fuel) consumption. Who wins will be the one who uses (the fuel) best."

This could be really interesting and I bet the engineers at Honda are more excited than the ones at Ferrari.

blee
02-21-2006, 11:17 AM
That would be a welcome change from current F1 engine regs. 2006 will see a reduction in displacement and cylinders from 3.0L V10s to 2.4L V8s (except for one team, given special permission to run a V10 with a rev limiter), among other things, in the interest of "cost savings." Most of the rule changes over the last couple of years have been in the name of cost savings, but I don't know that that's really happened. Mosley doesn't win any points from me as far as sportsmanship is concernedsup, either.

What I want to see is a far more open F1 specification, sort of like the one proposed by this guy. F1 is supposedly the pinnacle of motorsports, but it's looking more and more like a strict spec series with every season. What's the point?

iateyourcheese
02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
I wonder if they would allow diesel fuel? Audi's R10 diesel looks cool, but could this technology ever make it to F1? Their R10 puts out 650hp and 800 lb-ft in a diesel V12, but it has to be ridiculously heavy compared to the current F1 engines.

Of course, this is all speculation.

Pinecone
02-21-2006, 08:55 PM
This will be like the 80s with turbos and fuel quantity limits (no refueling) abd people running out of fuel on the last lap while leading. GREAT RACING, yeah right, the Turd strikes again.