PDA

View Full Version : Trouble starting 330i this morning

FC
12-12-2003, 08:27 AM
Last time I drove the 330i was a week ago. So I go to start it to take it to work (fiancee needed the other car) and it turned but wouldn't start. It literally took about 30+ seconds of holding the key and until little by little you could hear the engine rumble more and more until it finally started. But even then I had to hold the rpm's up, because otherwise it would have shut down. "Engine service soon" light came on. After a few seconds of letting it run it wasn't idling right, but at least I didn't need to keep my foot on the gas. I shut off the car. Went to start it again, and it was as if nothing ever happened. The car was perfect.

Brakes were a bit noisy and sticky (understandable from the cold and lack of use), but after a couple of stops, they were great.

Weird. Should I let this slide, or have it checked out? It seems to work fine now. We'll see how it starts on my way back home.

My old benz acted just like this about a year ago. Anytime it was a cold start. Turns out it was a bad relay. Problem fixed. But that happened at 150K miles, not 8K miles.

Anybody experience something similar? :?

lemming
12-12-2003, 08:36 AM
you're fine.

i bet the CEL is nothing to worry about. maybe too rich or a slight misfire somewhere. nothing to worry about.

you might try filling up the tank and/or decent dry gas, too.

:twisted:

FC
12-12-2003, 08:40 AM
you're fine.

i bet the CEL is nothing to worry about. maybe too rich or a slight misfire somewhere. nothing to worry about.

you might try filling up the tank and/or decent dry gas, too.

:twisted:

Tank had was a good 2/3's filled. What is dry gas? Is it the little bottles you pour in the gas tank?

What is CEL?

Sorry, and thanks. :D

P.S. I rather not take it to the dealership. I'd hate to have them screw something up.

bren
12-12-2003, 08:41 AM
That's just the price you pay for all the extra performance ;)

Seriously though, my car did the same thing on Monday. I just figured it was because I hadn't driven it in 3 days and it was really cold outside...it has been fine since.

FC
12-12-2003, 08:45 AM
That's just the price you pay for all the extra performance ;)

Seriously though, my car did the same thing on Monday. I just figured it was because I hadn't driven it in 3 days and it was really cold outside...it has been fine since.

Cool. I just wanted to know that. I figured it wasn't a big deal.

Thanks! :D

clyde
12-12-2003, 09:37 AM
When the wagon was mine, it frequently went days at a time without being started. When I would start it, it would always idle kind of rough initially but was fine after a couple minutes of sitting or by the time I got the first stop sign three blocks away (depending on how long it took me to get moving). The colder it was outside, the more pronounced the issue.

CEL = Check Engine Light

Nick M3
12-12-2003, 09:43 AM
It was the cam position sensor when that happened to me, but who knows?

lemming
12-12-2003, 10:02 AM
i think the hotter cams are going to make the engine crankier than a normal 330i in colder weather, that plus BMW usual run of the mill lucas electronics dark current plus idle, cold engine --i really don't think it's anything to worry about.

(of course, watch, now that i write this, it's going to be some major engine failure).

FC
12-12-2003, 11:00 AM
i think the hotter cams are going to make the engine crankier than a normal 330i in colder weather, that plus BMW usual run of the mill lucas electronics dark current plus idle, cold engine --i really don't think it's anything to worry about.

(of course, watch, now that i write this, it's going to be some major engine failure).

Thanks for the jinx there, man. :roll:

:twisted: :D

TD
12-12-2003, 11:09 AM

Yup.

Like the ZHP, one of the major differences between the US-spec E36 M3 engine and regular E36 engines is more aggressive cams.

When it's cold (especially after not being started for a few days) my car sounds like farm equipment, especially for the first few miles/minutes.

FC
12-12-2003, 11:12 AM
...my car sounds like farm equipment, especially for the first few miles/minutes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

lemming
12-12-2003, 12:31 PM
...my car sounds like farm equipment, especially for the first few miles/minutes.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it DOES NOT, of course.

he's just saying that to convince his silly self that he needs an aircooled motor that does not make those sounds.