PDA

View Full Version : What items are needed to install XM in the E46 and E90?

TD
02-10-2006, 10:05 AM
I realize different stuff is needed for both (and the adapter for the E90 isn't out yet).

I told my salesman last night, in no uncertain terms, that this could be done. He at first did not believe me. But we know you can do it.

So could someone just list the stuff you'd need for each generation. Thanks.

JST
02-10-2006, 10:20 AM
I realize different stuff is needed for both (and the adapter for the E90 isn't out yet).

I told my salesman last night, in no uncertain terms, that this could be done. He at first did not believe me. But we know you can do it.

So could someone just list the stuff you'd need for each generation. Thanks.

For the E46, this bundle is all you need:

http://www.myradiostore.us/bundles/car/xm-direct-receiver-bmw-mini-cooper.html

Comes with the XM Direct unit, an antenna, and a Blitzsafe adapter that allows an OEM BMW CD changer to be plugged in, as well.

Keep in mind that if you want to use a *non-OEM* BMW CD changer (like the ones that we have), you need a second Blitzsafe adapter that changes the Alpine bus to the BMW bus. I just used my Pioneer XM Blitzsafe for this (so I have two different Blitzsafes back there).

TD
02-10-2006, 01:33 PM
For the E46, this bundle is all you need:

http://www.myradiostore.us/bundles/car/xm-direct-receiver-bmw-mini-cooper.html

Comes with the XM Direct unit, an antenna, and a Blitzsafe adapter that allows an OEM BMW CD changer to be plugged in, as well.

Keep in mind that if you want to use a *non-OEM* BMW CD changer (like the ones that we have), you need a second Blitzsafe adapter that changes the Alpine bus to the BMW bus. I just used my Pioneer XM Blitzsafe for this (so I have two different Blitzsafes back there).
For the E90, you just need the adapter that was posted the other day (the one that's not yet available) and an XM Direct unit, correct?

ZBB
02-10-2006, 01:39 PM
For the E90, you just need the adapter that was posted the other day (the one that's not yet available) and an XM Direct unit, correct?

That's all you should need... That new Terk adapter, plus the XM Universal Tuner. I've seen prices on the Universal tuner incredibly low (<$20) lately. The adapter will be the expensive part. Makes me wonder if a new version of it will be coming out that has some new features of XM (stock quotes / sports scores) that the Universal Tuner doesn't support. It might be worth waiting until after that adapter comes out to see if its bundled with a newer version of the tuner.

When I bought XM Direct almost a year ago, I bought it in a bundle for ~$150 -- approx $50 for the tuner and $100 for the adapter.

In the meantime, you could probably hold on to your old XM setup if it has a line-out on it -- you could use it when you first get the car in the E90 line-in (which is in the center arm rest).

Edit: One thing with the E46/E39 Blitzsafe adapter was that it came in 2 versions -- both with and without the CD changer passthrough. With the passthrough was $10 more expensive and I'm glad I got it -- since it lets me put the Dension ICE link in for the iPod with XM. It may be worth investigating if the new Terk E90 adapter will have anything similar (depends on how the CD changer input works). I don't think Dension has their E90 adapter out yet, but it is nice to have the flexibility later on...