PDA

View Full Version : Porsche sales for 01/06. Cayman S did well.

FC
02-02-2006, 11:23 AM
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/02/01/209055.html#

Sharp11
02-02-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/02/01/209055.html#

Those are strong debut numbers.

The rest of the range sure has taken a hit, though, as have all roadster sales.

I see the Cayeene is slipping a bit, too.

Ed

ZBB
02-02-2006, 02:08 PM
I see the Cayeene is slipping a bit, too.

Ed

There was an article a few months ago saying that the Cayenne is off by 50% vs '04...

Did you notice that almost half the Cayenne sales are the base model with the VW V6? Talk about a poseur mobile...

Sharp11
02-02-2006, 02:19 PM
There was an article a few months ago saying that the Cayenne is off by 50% vs '04...

Did you notice that almost half the Cayenne sales are the base model with the VW V6? Talk about a poseur mobile...

It's really a T-reg anyway and the VW is a nicer overall package, IMO, (assuming VW's ironed out the poor reliability issues).

But yes, badge whores will buy anything.....

Ed

ZBB
02-02-2006, 02:29 PM
It's really a T-reg anyway and the VW is a nicer overall package, IMO, (assuming VW's ironed out the poor reliability issues).

But yes, badge whores will buy anything.....

Ed

Yep...

Speaking of T-reg derivatives, Audi North Scottsdale had a Q7 in their show room a couple weeks ago. It was Euro-spec (with German plates), and a handwritten sign saying "not for sale -- Q7 coming soon".

We sat in it -- and man is it huge -- add another 4 feet to a Tuareg, an Audi schnoz, and you get the idea. I wouldn't call it pretty, but I'm sure it will sell well...

FC
02-03-2006, 02:26 PM
BTW, there is a pretty short but neat video on the Cayman S @ Edmunds.com.

Alan
02-03-2006, 03:36 PM
They have a lot of them at the dealer in stock ... OTOH the new 911 I was told by my salesman is hard to get and you need to be put on a waiting list ...

So I guess the Cayman isn't taking sales directly from the 911 though it will take sales indirectly for the person who wants a Porsche NOW and goes with the Cayman ...

lemming
02-03-2006, 04:42 PM
They have a lot of them at the dealer in stock ... OTOH the new 911 I was told by my salesman is hard to get and you need to be put on a waiting list ...

So I guess the Cayman isn't taking sales directly from the 911 though it will take sales indirectly for the person who wants a Porsche NOW and goes with the Cayman ...

Porsche is pretty smart. (there's a reason why they're so profitable, isn't there?)

the Boxster was a genius move because it's a great car --but that it could share so many parts with the 996 made it even smarter. leveraging R&D of the SUV with VW was genius, too.

but the Cayman is more of this intelligence. take a car that is not any more expensive than the Boxster to make with minimal R&D to throw into it. voila. instant new niche.

1. it gets even more mileage out of the boxster componentry
2. it costs more than the boxster while being simpler to produce
3. it gives Porsche an excuse to push 911 prices up even higher.
4. people for whom the 911 is a stretch to afford who would balk at the boxster, guess what? they now have the Cayman to purchase and still go home with a Porsche.

THIS is marketing genius.