PDA

View Full Version : Plaz, and other NJ / NY peeps. It's track season

rumatt
01-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Anyone up for doing a DE this season?

This one at pocono raceway April 21 (http://nybmwcca.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=903&) looks like a good one.

EDIT: Just noticed that the NJ chapter is also having a DE on the same day at Limerock Park. Which to choose... ugh.

Plaz
01-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Maybe... too early to commit however.

rumatt
02-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Registration opened this weekend. They're keeping the schools small, so it will probably fill up fast. http://www.nybmwcca.org/driver_schools.shtml

Cancellation fee is $30, so I went ahead and registered.

PhilH
02-10-2006, 11:35 PM
I think I may be doing one DE in 2007. :dunno:

By then my car won't be worth much more than $20k and my youngest child will be over 3 yrs old (so I can leave home and not feel like I'm abandoning my wife to take care of a baby and our older daughter too).

If not 2007 then 2008 for sure. :eeps:

rumatt
02-10-2006, 11:54 PM
I think I may be doing one DE in 2007. :dunno:

By then my car won't be worth much more than $20k and my youngest child will be over 3 yrs old (so I can leave home and not feel like I'm abandoning my wife to take care of a baby and our older daughter too).

If not 2007 then 2008 for sure. :eeps:

:(

That's a long time to wait man... You can manage one in 2006. She'll never notice that you're gone. ;)

PhilH
02-11-2006, 08:36 AM
That's a long time to wait man
Yes it is, but then again I haven't been to one in about two years now, so I'm getting used to not going every year. No matter how many you go to, you're generally just sitting around waiting for the next one anyway.

PhilH
02-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Anyone up for doing a DE this season?

This one at pocono raceway April 21 (http://nybmwcca.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=903&) looks like a good one.

EDIT: Just noticed that the NJ chapter is also having a DE on the same day at Limerock Park. Which to choose... ugh.
Thanks for the link, now I have a video of Pocono's north course. I can see why some say it's not terribly exciting...no elevation changes for one thing.

I really enjoyed Summit Point and Jefferson Circuit, and getting away for a three day weekend at the track is really something to look forward to. However, a local one day Friday school would less of a hassle for the family.

The thing that has really held me back for the past two years is frankly $$ and more specifically track insurance on a newer car. With the purchase of our new house, finances have been in a state of flux, with big purchases for everything like a new pump and filter for the pool to a new John Deere garden tractor for the lawn, not to mention our hefty new property taxes. However, personal finances have been on an upward trend in the past few months and it looks like our savings rate is getting back on target.

Still, I wouldn't go to the track without insurance on my car, and since my Nationwide policy doesn't cover DE anymore, I'd have to go with supplemental coverage. Supplemental coverage only can be bought for a full year and the cost is about $300 for a car worth $20k (quote from http://www.americancollectorsins.com/dequote.php ). Add that into the cost for my normal three day DE at Summit Point and you're looking at a nearly $1k weekend.

Now, let's see...$300 plus a one day school of $175 plus gas and incidentals of $25 runs only $500 for a day. Hmmm...

Wow, that was a long post.

BahnBaum
02-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Phil,

You only live once. Carpe diem. You deserve it. Throw caution to the wind. Be spontaneous. Live life.

Just giving you some of my rationalizers, in case you need to use them.

Alex

PhilH
02-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Hey, it's not like I haven't been to the track yet, and it's not that I don't see myself going back quite a bit in the future. It's just that right now my car is kind of new and my kids are kind of little. I see myself ramping up on the DE events from one a year in the near future to three or more a year within five years.

ff
02-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Maybe... too early to commit however.

Didn't you do an event or two last year? How did you like it?

Plaz
02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Didn't you do an event or two last year? How did you like it?

I only did one autocross last year... no HPDEs.

rumatt
03-02-2006, 02:33 PM
http://www.srttrackexperience.com/home/

Limerock. $300 for one day, you drive THEIR cars. Skip barber instructors.

I'm signing up for one of the days April 3 - 6. Not sure which.

Sharp11
03-02-2006, 03:41 PM
with big purchases for everything like a new pump and filter for the pool to a new John Deere garden tractor for the lawn,

Hey Phil,

I've been out of the tractor circle for a long time now, I've had a lawn and winter plowing service for years here at our two acre spread, but as a kid, I always piloted the family Simplicity and Wheel Horse tractors around the yard.

Recently, I've been getting the bug to "mow my own", so I visited the John Deere site and, wow........what an array of gear, I didn't know where to begin.

Are JD's still the quality choice? Who are the other contenders?

Ed

rumatt
03-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Bump. It's that time of year again.

I'm thinking of signing up for NY BMW CCA 4/13 school at Pocono. Deadline is 3/26

Here's Last year's report (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=7194&)

kognito
03-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Have you ever been to Limerock?? I have been there 3 times (twice on track, once for a race and swap meet) Pocono is much closer to my house, but I'd rather go to Limerock, and it is a much more challenging course. I think you can learn more there.

Maybe it has gotten better at Pocono, I went to one event there about twenty years ago, and the people running the event were wreckless assholes.

Plus the drive to and from Limerock is much nicer than going out to Pocono

Plaz
03-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Maybe it has gotten better at Pocono, I went to one event there about twenty years ago, and the people running the event were wreckless assholes.

wreckless = good
reckless = bad

;)

rumatt
03-18-2007, 12:03 PM

The level of recklessness (and thus wrecklessness) is a function of the club you go with, not the track. :dunno:

The track itself could be unsafe as well, of course.

I've been to Limrock and Pocono once each. I don't relly have a preference one way or the other. I just noticed that this event was coming up soon and got psyched.

lemming
03-18-2007, 01:27 PM
The level of recklessness (and thus wrecklessness) is a function of the club you go with, not the track. :dunno:

The track itself could be unsafe as well, of course.

I've been to Limrock and Pocono once each. I don't relly have a preference one way or the other. I just noticed that this event was coming up soon and got psyched.

anything in May? i could try to meet up with you (Limerock --no desire to drive to Pocono).

rumatt
03-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Hmm... I'm most familiar with the NY and NJ BMW CCA groups, but the Patroon BMW chapter has the following:

May 5 - Lime Rock Park
June 18-19 - Watkins Glen
Oct 20 - Lime Rock Park

I assume you're suggesting you'd sign up? Maybe we should see how many 'mudgeons we can get to attend the May 5th event.

FC
03-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Hmm... I'm most familiar with the NY and NJ BMW CCA groups, but the Patroon BMW chapter has the following:

I assume you're suggesting you'd sign up? Maybe we should see how many 'mudgeons we can get to attend the May 5th event.

That could be fun.

This reminds me, I need to order summer tires (PS2's).

lemming
03-18-2007, 05:10 PM
That could be fun.

This reminds me, I need to order summer tires (PS2's).

me, too.

don't know if i'd go in the pig or the skunk, though.

you think you'd go, too?

FC
03-18-2007, 05:27 PM
me, too.

don't know if i'd go in the pig or the skunk, though.

you think you'd go, too?

With enough peer pressure, I may.:D

rumatt
03-18-2007, 06:36 PM
With enough peer pressure, I may.:D

*peer pressure focused in your general direction*

But lets be clear that this peer pressure in no way makes me responsible if one of you guys dump your car into a wall. :ack: :p

FC
03-18-2007, 09:31 PM
*peer pressure focused in your general direction*

But lets be clear that this peer pressure in no way makes me responsible if one of you guys dump your car into a wall. :ack: :p

I would most likely drive like a pansie, so I doubt that would happen.:dunno:

rumatt
03-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I would most likely drive like a pansie, so I doubt that would happen.:dunno:

Fixed: :D

But lets be clear that this peer pressure in no way makes me responsible if one of you guys gets rear ended while driving like a pansy.

Sharp11
03-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Have you ever been to Limerock?? I have been there 3 times (twice on track, once for a race and swap meet) Pocono is much closer to my house, but I'd rather go to Limerock, and it is a much more challenging course. I think you can learn more there.

Plus the drive to and from Limerock is much nicer than going out to Pocono

It's beautiful up there.

Wrt the track: that diving turn just before the main straight always gets my pulse rate up - there's simply no margin for error and the consequences are dire.

It's all moot since going topless, I'm no longer allowed (unless I put in a roll bar, NOT).

Ed

FC
03-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Fixed: :D

:lol: