PDA

View Full Version : :mad: The Barge is screwed.

Nick M3
12-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Bah.

At least it's not my fault. I was approaching a three way intersection with a one-way stop as a Subaru approached the stop sign. I drive through this spot all the time, and people frequently blow off the stop sign so I always slow to around 20 just to be safe when I see other people. Unfortunately, this asshole STOPPED at the stop sign. He waited for a moment, and then, when I was about 1.5 car lengths away he went for it.

I hit the brakes, but with a median AND an oncoming driver to the left, I had nowhere to go.

BANG!

The asshole tried to claim that I was going WAY too fast and couldn't make the turn. Fortunately, not only were the cops very prompt, they also told him that his theory was physically impossible based on the debris pattern. And declared him fully at fault. And gave him a ticket.

At the moment, I need a new R/F fender, bumper and possibly hood. Additionally, there's suspension damage ("straight" is 3/4 of a turn to the left) and all the traction control lights are lit up. Hopefully, it's not TOO serious.

Bah.

Mathew
12-07-2003, 10:51 AM
That sucks :(

But at least he actually got the blame.

SARAFIL
12-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Perhaps an excuse to go ahead with that blue beast? Gotta love timing some times! :smile:

Sorry to hear about the barge, though. :(

nate
12-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Does this mean you get the E55 for a while? :smile:

JST
12-07-2003, 12:00 PM
Perhaps an excuse to go ahead with that blue beast? Gotta love timing some times! :smile:

What is the blue beast that I am seeing references to?

bren
12-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Ouch.... I guess now you have a good excuse to get the side repainted to get rid of those key scratches :P

blee
12-07-2003, 12:27 PM

What is the blue beast that I am seeing references to?

Yeah, what is it?

Doug
12-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Sorry to hear it Nick

Nick M3
12-07-2003, 01:03 PM
No E55, no SL55. Just the S55. :cry:

and I don't really want to talk about the blue car until and unless I buy it. :p

Nick M3
12-07-2003, 03:06 PM
http://www.nrubenstein.com/gallery/CrashPics

Grrr.

Definite suspension damage, maybe even damage to the frame. Unfortunately, while this was a very slow speed impact, I was forced to hit him at almost the exact wrong angle. As you can see from the pics, the impact occurred just to the right of the bumper structure, so the impact went RIGHT through and wasted most of its energy on the wheel. To make things worse, I carried his car over about 10 feet, so the impact had a pretty lengthy duration.

All in all, NOT good.

SARAFIL
12-07-2003, 03:23 PM

Wow, you've got it rough, kid... However will you manage to drive around in an S55?? :shock:

Nick M3
12-07-2003, 03:34 PM

Wow, you've got it rough, kid... However will you manage to drive around in an S55?? :shock:

With difficulty. It's on S-03s. :p

(It got STUCK in two inches of snow in the driveway.)

blee
12-07-2003, 04:48 PM
Ouchie. :( That doesn't look good, but it definitely doesn't look horrible (on the outside). A few grand and you'll probably be back in business. Have you taken a look under the hood yet?

clyde
12-07-2003, 06:01 PM
Ouchie. :( That doesn't look good, but it definitely doesn't look horrible (on the outside). A few grand and you'll probably be back in business. Have you taken a look under the hood yet?

Even if it has to go on a frame machine to straighten the unitbody, it could still make for a great beater if he doesn't chuck it. Rallycross mobile? Tow car for a semi-lightweight track car? It could be fun...

TD
12-07-2003, 06:25 PM

Even if it has to go on a frame machine to straighten the unitbody, it could still make for a great beater if he doesn't chuck it. Rallycross mobile? Tow car for a semi-lightweight track car? It could be fun...

What I just saw looking at the pics that concerns me the most is the driver's side foglight. That implies flex and, probably, unibody damage. Also the passenger side wheel seems to be set back a bit further than it should be.

So while the damage looks minimal, I think it's probably pretty major ($10K+).

Nick M3
12-07-2003, 09:20 PM
What I just saw looking at the pics that concerns me the most is the driver's side foglight. That implies flex and, probably, unibody damage. Also the passenger side wheel seems to be set back a bit further than it should be.

So while the damage looks minimal, I think it's probably pretty major ($10K+).

And since we have potential frame and DEFINITE suspension damage, I think I'm going to take it to Wagonwerk, which will probably increase costs further. (And piss GEICO off. Poor guys.) We'll see what happens. I suspect that there's significant potential for collateral damage that you don't have in a RWD car, too.

blee
12-07-2003, 09:44 PM
And since we have potential frame and DEFINITE suspension damage, I think I'm going to take it to Wagonwerk, which will probably increase costs further. (And piss GEICO off. Poor guys.) We'll see what happens. I suspect that there's significant potential for collateral damage that you don't have in a RWD car, too.

I hadn't thought until now about the AWD aspect. That means you have some powertrain-related hardware up there, and a nice solid hit to the wheel might affect that. Of course, you could be lucky and the control arms could have taken all of the trauma (they're usually designed to do that).

Plaz
12-07-2003, 09:55 PM
My condolences. :(

Nick M3
12-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Well, I know there was enough trauma that at the very least there's a broken ABS/DSC/whatever sensor in there. It's all speculation until someone starts tearing into the car, though.

:cry:

Masskrug
12-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Good luck with the repairs.

And, hope you have a better time dealing with Geico than the rest of the horror stories out there.

lemming
12-08-2003, 02:33 PM
those instances with GEICO really scare the hell out of me.

dunno if they are true, but...

Nick M3
12-08-2003, 03:02 PM
The nice thing is that dealing with GEICO is optional. If they start giving me any crap, State Farm will fix it for me and go after them.

lemming
12-08-2003, 03:50 PM
The nice thing is that dealing with GEICO is optional. If they start giving me any crap, State Farm will fix it for me and go after them.

yeah. i mean, the problem is, when you make a claim with your insurance company, later on in life, there is zero context. all there is in the log is that you made a claim.

and that counts against you.

trust me, i did this because the person who wrecked my M3...her insurance was slow on the uptake and mine jumped in to start the repairs (which ended up taking 15 weeks and $22,000 odd dollars).

want to guess who her insurance company is/was?

and the repercussions obviously have followed because of the way that transaction went down. all of these FOND missouri memories. makes me almost want to cry.

Nick M3
12-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Humbug. Going through State Farm now.

GEICO just called and informed me that the asshole has decided to fight his ticket in court. Hopefully he won't decide to appeal it sixteen times. :p

lemming
12-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Humbug. Going through State Farm now.

GEICO just called and informed me that the asshole has decided to fight his ticket in court. Hopefully he won't decide to appeal it sixteen times. :p

my situation was similar, of course.

she was ticketed on the spot and with the encouragement of GEICO, tried to stall the process.

so then i went through mine.

they eventually sent the check......eventually.

Nick M3
12-08-2003, 06:32 PM
The GEICO person sounded quite annoyed that he had decided to challenge the ticket. :p
Anyhoo, I spoke to my agent and she's sent it on to the claims department. And she also ASSURED me that when all the dust is settled, it won't mean a thing for my premium or record. We'll see, of course.

lemming
12-08-2003, 07:13 PM
The GEICO person sounded quite annoyed that he had decided to challenge the ticket. :p
Anyhoo, I spoke to my agent and she's sent it on to the claims department. And she also ASSURED me that when all the dust is settled, it won't mean a thing for my premium or record. We'll see, of course.

i am hoping for the best, nick.

Nick M3
12-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Hmm. Well, GEICO sent an estomator to the shop to look the car over. Their current estimate is $2k PURELY for cosmetic repairs. And it includes aftermarket parts. :rolleyes: Needless to say, that's unacceptable.

And, of course, it's also based on lower labor fees than Wagonwork charges.

Masskrug
12-11-2003, 12:06 PM
Wow. Geico really does suck. Maybe I'll call Warren on his private line and tell him...yeah....he'll listen to me...

nate
12-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Wow. Geico really does suck. Maybe I'll call Warren on his private line and tell him...yeah....he'll listen to me...

That is how they make the $$$

blee
12-11-2003, 02:05 PM
A friend of mine in an E36 M3 recently (maybe two months ago) hit one of those sand-filled highway marker things. The exterior damage looked pretty good -- new fender, replace control arms, etc. It turns out that the total estimate for repair comes in at around $14,000.

I would tell Geico to shove it with their estimate and let a good shop take care of a REAL evaluation. As you've already concluded, $2000 won't even cover the cosmetic damage with quality parts and paint.

TD
12-11-2003, 04:02 PM

Geico genuinely, truly sucks (or do they blow?).

Nick M3
12-11-2003, 05:48 PM
This estimate is PURELY for GEICO's record. It'll be interesting to see what State Farm estimates.

I don't expect GEICO to accept fault for at least two months, if not more.

clyde
12-11-2003, 06:23 PM
Geico genuinely, truly sucks (or do they blow?).

I believe that Geico is one of those rare entities that both sucks and blows at all times.