PDA

View Full Version : "Official notification to the Bangle-bashers: Get over

SARAFIL
12-06-2003, 08:41 PM
http://www.bmwcca.org/Roundel/2003/12/Article_2.shtml

A confirmed retro-grouch, I love the E39 5 Series. The new Fünfer is most definitely not an E39, but rather relentlessly Sevenesque. Thus, in view of the new coupe's design cues----also taken from the most recent 7 Series, henceforth and heretofore referred to as the Bulbous-Butted-Slab-Sided-Bangled- Bimmer-Of-Scorn----I was apprehensive as I flew to the launch of the new 645Ci in Spain. "This," I said to myself, "could be another disaster on the scale of the San Francisco Earthquake… or even the Pontiac Aztec."

The new coupe features aluminum frontend components and Active Steering.

I was wrong. God help me, I was so wrong.

The new 645Ci will flat knock your ass in the creek. Take my retro-grouch word for it: Photos will never do this car justice. You just have to see it in the aluminum/composite/ high-strength-steel flesh. It's the one we've been waiting for. This is, in the words of the editor-in-chief, "a stunning car."

Damn. I hate it when he's right.

But I always face the truth. So welcome back, BMW Design Chief Chris Bangle. Welcome back to the cabal of Bimmerheads who rejoice in right-looking cars, those of us who have celebrated most of the BMW product line for the last 65 years. We knew you could do it. Well, maybe hoped is a better word. Either way, you're back.

And this should also serve as official notification to the Bangle-bashers: Get over it. Get over it or go buy a Mercedes. Yeah, you're probably getting old enough by now. It's time to think about that Merc. You'll like it. It suits your delicate design sensibilities… and your squishy bottom. For the rest of us, there's this new absolute driving machine to ponder.

:cool:

Plaz
12-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Nice! :thumbup:

JST
12-06-2003, 10:52 PM

"And this should also serve as official notification to the Bangle-bashers: Get over it. Get over it or go buy a Mercedes."

I'll happily take my money elsewhere.

Doug
12-06-2003, 11:38 PM

"And this should also serve as official notification to the Bangle-bashers: Get over it. Get over it or go buy a Mercedes."

Yup, people will. I do like the new 6 though..though that shot of the interior has me wondering

SCA
12-06-2003, 11:46 PM
:crazy: :scratch:

SCA
12-06-2003, 11:47 PM

Exactly, but it won't go to Mercedes.

TD
12-07-2003, 06:28 PM
They can say whatever they want, I'm never buying one of these fugly monstrosities. I may go to Audi, I may go to Benz, or I may even go to Cadillac. But I will not buy one of these.

So consider me gone.

lemming
12-08-2003, 11:43 AM
S:

yeah. i spent the weekend reading that issue of Roundel.

'was pretty impressed with the writeup. i will gladly reconsider my opinion when i get to see the car myself in person also.

i always thought the old 6 series was funny looking so it's fitting if, in my mind, the new one is still funky, also.

in the end it matters not. i cannot imagine many of us, who already think that the 3 series is portly, would be the demographic for the 6 series. something even bigger and heavier just isn't my cup of tea, no matter what it looks like.

The HACK
12-08-2003, 12:03 PM
S:

'was pretty impressed with the writeup. i will gladly reconsider my opinion when i get to see the car myself in person also.

i always thought the old 6 series was funny looking so it's fitting if, in my mind, the new one is still funky, also.

in the end it matters not. i cannot imagine many of us, who already think that the 3 series is portly, would be the demographic for the 6 series. something even bigger and heavier just isn't my cup of tea, no matter what it looks like.

You guys are now just LOOKING for excuses not to like the new 6.

Yeah, the 6 is bigger, but heavier? It's only about 75 lbs more than a loaded E46 M3, and the same power and significantly more torque. Are you telling me, if you were given the choice to have more interior space, more trunk space, while only increasing the mass MARGINALLY you wouldn't want a car like this? Hell, I'd lose 75 lbs first from my *ss before I'd worry about that 75 lbs heavier than a 3 series.

Heck, the new 6 is lighter and quicker than the old 6. :dunno:

JST
12-08-2003, 12:27 PM
S:

Yeah, the 6 is bigger, but heavier? It's only about 75 lbs more than a loaded E46 M3, and the same power and significantly more torque. Are you telling me, if you were given the choice to have more interior space, more trunk space, while only increasing the mass MARGINALLY you wouldn't want a car like this? Hell, I'd lose 75 lbs first from my *ss before I'd worry about that 75 lbs heavier than a 3 series.

I don't have to look very hard to find reasons not to like the E63. I just have to look at the car itself.

I have, in principle, no objection to a slightly larger coupe than the E46, and BMW has done well with keeping the weight down for such a big car.

lemming
12-08-2003, 12:40 PM
S:

'am just not looking for a two door GT.

you know, by now, that if anything, i'm looking for a 2 door sports car. but i'm not opposed the 6 series all that much. it's just another interesting car to look at and wonder how well it will sell mostly because i guess i'm not just in the right demographic for it.

FC
12-08-2003, 01:07 PM
I just don't like the new 6 at all. I also don't like the previous one at all.

I will never own an expensive GT coupe. If I ever own a coupe it will be a 911-type car... stripped. I don't care for luxuries in a coupe. If I own a luxury car, it would likely be an E-class-type sedan. And if I want a GT, I'd get a used SL, they tend to be VERY well taken care of.

lemming
12-08-2003, 03:51 PM
I just don't like the new 6 at all. I also don't like the previous one at all.

I will never own an expensive GT coupe. If I ever own a coupe it will be a 911-type car... stripped. I don't care for luxuries in a coupe. If I own a luxury car, it would likely be an E-class-type sedan. And if I want a GT, I'd get a used SL, they tend to be VERY well taken care of.

yeah yeah yeah. see? i already posted that and HACK rebutted the point.

i see his point and i know he sees ours.

The HACK
12-08-2003, 10:34 PM
I don't have to look very hard to find reasons not to like the E63. I just have to look at the car itself.

I have, in principle, no objection to a slightly larger coupe than the E46, and BMW has done well with keeping the weight down for such a big car.

So I assume you've seen the car in person? Cool...How did you manage to swing that? :dunno:

Anyone who would completely dismiss anything without seeing or experiencing it first hand, don't know what they're missing.

All I am asking, is that you reserve your judgement until you've actually seen and driven the car. Otherwise, how can you HATE something so much and so passionately when it doesn't even apply to you, since some of you have already stated that since it's not in your market you'll never EVER bother to see it?

Just because I don't think I'll enjoy gay sex doesn't mean I go around bashing gay sex on an internet chatboard. Afterall, I don't think I'm in the market for anal sex either. :thumbdow:

FC
12-09-2003, 08:34 AM
Just because I don't think I'll enjoy gay sex doesn't mean I go around bashing gay sex on an internet chatboard. Afterall, I don't think I'm in the market for anal sex either. :thumbdow:

:?

Anyhow...

While I am the first to admit that the Bangle-era cars do look better in person, it is not going to change reality. Sure, the new five looked slightly better in person. But it did so (back in May for me) because of it's moderness. The fact that it was parked next to E39's, 3er's etc, does show that the car is sleeker and more modern. But that is not necessarilly a good thing. To me the adjacent E39's showed the E60's styling deficiencies.

Sure, seeing a new 6er may make me think, "hey cool, that's the new 6. And it looks pretty sleek." But that wont chnage the fact that I have seen dozens of pictures of the car already, and I think it's ugly. Seeing it in person wont change the profile, the butt, the headlights, etc.

In fact I would turn this around and ask... how will the 6 look to people once they are used to it, instead of having the positive "novel" factor to its advantage?

JST
12-09-2003, 08:48 AM

So I assume you've seen the car in person? Cool...How did you manage to swing that? :dunno:

Anyone who would completely dismiss anything without seeing or experiencing it first hand, don't know what they're missing.

All I am asking, is that you reserve your judgement until you've actually seen and driven the car. Otherwise, how can you HATE something so much and so passionately when it doesn't even apply to you, since some of you have already stated that since it's not in your market you'll never EVER bother to see it?

Uh, what a weird analogy.

Anyhoo, I will admit that I haven't seen a 6 in person. It may knock my socks off. If so, I'll be the first to come back and say so. Remember, I'm someone who spent months bashing the E46 M3 before, you know, buying one.

But I've seen the Z4 in person, and the E65 in person, and the E60 in person. And when each one of these was introduced, many people said "the pictures are weird, but wait 'til you see them in person." I didn't notice any difference--if anything, the Z4 looks less pleasant in real life than it does from some angles in certain pictures. I doubt that the droopy Deputy Dog look of the 6 with its shelf butt is going to be any different.

As for the interior, it looks like the same combination of avant garde, bleeding edge shapes and cheap, nasty materials as are found in all of the new, recent BMWs. Again, perhaps it will be different. But I don't see any empirical reason to believe that it will be.

I hate the E63 and the rest of the new BMWs because they combine ugly styling with cheap interior materials. If I wanted that, I'd buy a Monte Carlo and save a pile of cash. I hate that Chris Bangle and Helmut Panke have utterly destroyed the desirability of one of the great car brands out there. I hate that the roll that BMW was on through the 90s has come to a crashing halt. I am not conceited enough to believe that mine is the only viewpoint out there, but in the end its the one that matters most to me. And if there are people who love the new styling and interiors, bully for them. I hope they enjoy their BMW as much as I have enjoyed mine.

But that doesn't mean I'll buy another one.

Mattkins99
12-10-2003, 03:41 AM
You know, I can't stand the E60, but I love the E63. I think Bangle's "vision" did very well on the 2 door cars (Z4 and the new 6)

I love my E39, and I could part with it for a black on black E63... however, my wallet can't part with $70,000+.

Maybe in a few years....

BTW, Hi to anybody from the RF boards where I usually hang out as this is my first post.

The HACK
12-10-2003, 01:02 PM
... however, my wallet can't part with $70,000+.

Maybe in a few years....

Anyone who pays retail for any new car is either crazy rich or have no common sense.

I don't plan on paying more than $63,000 for a new 645Ci. Of course, it's going to be Euro-Delivery and it'll have nothing except sports package and xenon lights. :D

FC
12-10-2003, 01:26 PM
... however, my wallet can't part with $70,000+.

Maybe in a few years....

Anyone who pays retail for any new car is either crazy rich or have no common sense.

I don't plan on paying more than $63,000 for a new 645Ci. Of course, it's going to be Euro-Delivery and it'll have nothing except sports package and xenon lights. :D

I rather get a 997 for 70K. But that's just me.

Mattkins99
12-10-2003, 09:22 PM

I don't plan on paying more than $63,000 for a new 645Ci. Of course, it's going to be Euro-Delivery and it'll have nothing except sports package and xenon lights.

well ya, I wouldn't pay retail, but my wallet can't part with $63,000 either.

lemming
12-12-2003, 11:22 PM
i just want to say that the article is thorough and well-written.

okay. whatever. who cares. i still want to see the car in person.

the only thing that i got out of the article, since styling is subjective, is that the 645Ci runs the Nurburgring in 8:20.

:D

WOW.

that matches the e46m3.

did anyone else notice this?

The HACK
12-14-2003, 12:48 PM
the only thing that i got out of the article, since styling is subjective, is that the 645Ci runs the Nurburgring in 8:20.

WOW.

that matches the e46m3.

Shouldn't be much of a suprise...The 645Ci weighs slightly more (like 50-100 lbs) but comes with a sh*t load more torque (like 70 more ft-lbs) and same HP.

lemming
12-14-2003, 09:26 PM

WOW.

that matches the e46m3.

Shouldn't be much of a suprise...The 645Ci weighs slightly more (like 50-100 lbs) but comes with a sh*t load more torque (like 70 more ft-lbs) and same HP.

well, to be honest, it detracts from the M3 aura and adds something to the 645Ci that wasn't there, in my eyes, previously.

i'm seriously impressed. that is freaking amazing.

JST
12-14-2003, 10:05 PM

WOW.

that matches the e46m3.

Still slower than a Cadillac.

Edit--I wonder how fast the C6 derived XLR would run the 'Ring?

lemming
12-16-2003, 03:31 PM

WOW.

that matches the e46m3.

Still slower than a Cadillac.

Edit--I wonder how fast the C6 derived XLR would run the 'Ring?

the XLR is miserably slow (5.9 seconds to 60mph) and heavy, i'd be keen on seeing how fast the C6 or C6 z06 or c5 z06 run the 'ring, though.

FC
12-16-2003, 03:39 PM
...i'd be keen on seeing how fast the C6 or C6 z06 or c5 z06 run the 'ring, though.

Bonoboy... how fast is the Elise at the ring? (I know it will be different than the federal you'll be getting... just curious)

Rob
12-16-2003, 05:50 PM
the XLR is miserably slow (5.9 seconds to 60mph)

:lol: :lol:

I know I am taking this out of context, but still. 5.9 miserably slow? :lol: