PDA

View Full Version : okay Maryland boys: did you get any of the snow?

lemming
12-05-2003, 09:32 AM
just curious.

it's coming to new england.

i was hoping to see news stories of car wallowing around on icy roads in the MD/VA/DC area. they don't plow very well down there.

FC
12-05-2003, 10:41 AM
just curious.

it's coming to new england.

i was hoping to see news stories of car wallowing around on icy roads in the MD/VA/DC area. they don't plow very well down there.

I put on the Blizzak WS-50's on last night on the old Benz. I am winter ready.

Bring it on! :twisted:

TD
12-05-2003, 10:47 AM
On principle I do not want to link to the Fest, but I am too lazy to recap and repost here. So check out this thread (but come right back)- http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47310

It's supposed to start back up and give us another 5 inches tonight.

blee
12-05-2003, 10:52 AM
We got about 6 inches where we live. DC itself is just kinda wet at the moment.

lemming
12-05-2003, 11:11 AM
thanks for the crosspost, TD.

i love getting snow.

:-)

clyde
12-05-2003, 11:37 AM

i love getting snow.

I really want to take the RX-8 out in the snow this winter, but without changing the tires, it just isn't worth it :(

lemming
12-05-2003, 11:56 AM

i love getting snow.

I really want to take the RX-8 out in the snow this winter, but without changing the tires, it just isn't worth it :(

is it your primary car?

couldn't you "slide" by with just using "all seasons" as winter tires?

clyde
12-05-2003, 12:14 PM

i love getting snow.

is it your primary car?

couldn't you "slide" by with just using "all seasons" as winter tires?

The 8 is now my primary car, but I have a beater that I can use in the slop when I can't/don't want to take the wagon. If there are all seasons available for it (i know that snows are), I'm too lazy (and more importnatly, too cheap) to get them. And I'd probably have too much fun and bend the car anyway.

blee
12-05-2003, 01:15 PM
I remember taking my '99 M3 (which is visiting VIR today :D) out in 1/2" of snow one morning, with barely any miles on the Pilot Sports. That was a very entertaining drive. I was very happy that I didn't have to go all the way into DC like that, though. LOL

On a related note, I have taken every car I've owned out in as deep snow as I could find. The Oldsmobile was great -- it was relatively light and had a decent engine on it. Very easy to handle, even through tall snowdrifts. It had kind of a scary way of having the tail swing out if you took a turn too quickly in the snow, though. What a fun time that was...

My Grand Prix was substantially larger, but also had a ton more HP and torque. It was more ponderous in the snow but arguably more fun because of it. A certain new Denali owner also had the same car as I did, and took photos of himself sliding around an empty parking lot. Believe me, the car handled better than you might think. :)

My Jeep likes to lumber along in the snow, apparently. It's probably got the best snow traction of all the cars I've owned...but that should not be a surprise.

Believe it or not, though, my absolute favorite "snow car" so far is my wife's Civic sedan. With one hand on the e-brake and the other on the steering wheel, it's really easy to get the car going exactly the way you want it. Easy to stay on course, easy to play WRC, easy to stop. It's perfect for a few inches or snow or hard-packed snow. In all other situations I'd probably take the Jeep.