PDA

View Full Version : Why does the New 5 look cheap?

Masskrug
12-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Please read the title carefully before responding. I make no judgements about whether the design is ugly or fabulous.

The thing that seems to be common ground between the two groups is that regardless of the design's appeal, it has an overall cheapness to it.

I'd like to dissect out what makes it look cheap. Having the opportunity to see the car in the flesh and the time to absorb the newness of the design, it still looks cheap to me, and to others as well judging from the comments.

(The 530i version hits $50 K easily! :shock: )

Please throw out one element of the New 5 that makes it look cheap; I'll start:

The rear bumper is too big, bulbous, and has an odd cutline as it wraps around the rear quarter flanks. Reminds me of GM/Saturn design.

Your turn.

TD
12-04-2003, 12:09 PM
The styling, especially the front headlight cluster arrangement, looks trendy rather than classy. It screams "look at me" rather than the subtlely whispered "I have money and class" that prior generations of 5er seemed to say.

Plaz
12-04-2003, 12:50 PM
The styling, especially the front headlight cluster arrangement, looks trendy rather than classy. It screams "look at me" rather than the subtlely whispered "I have money and class" that prior generations of 5er seemed to say.

No surprise, I disagree entirely. I think it's modern, yet understated. Very subtle and classy.

And I don't think it looks cheap at all.

This thread has a classic "did you stop beating your wife?" type title.

JST
12-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Please read the title carefully before responding. I make no judgements about whether the design is ugly or fabulous.

The thing that seems to be common ground between the two groups is that regardless of the design's appeal, it has an overall cheapness to it.

I'd like to dissect out what makes it look cheap. Having the opportunity to see the car in the flesh and the time to absorb the newness of the design, it still looks cheap to me, and to others as well judging from the comments.

(The 530i version hits $50 K easily! :shock: )

Please throw out one element of the New 5 that makes it look cheap; I'll start:

The rear bumper is too big, bulbous, and has an odd cutline as it wraps around the rear quarter flanks. Reminds me of GM/Saturn design.

Your turn.

On every version I've seen save the new M5, the wheels are too small to fill out the weird fenders.

Masskrug
12-04-2003, 02:13 PM
On every version I've seen save the new M5, the wheels are too small to fill out the weird fenders.

TOTALLY agree. Honda Accord/Civic like-too-small with a large wheel well gap. (I'd leave out the 'weird' adjective, though)

lemming
12-04-2003, 04:38 PM
actually, i think the 5 series has some presence in person. and it is not an odd duckling sort of presence like the E65. it's decent.

i've had less issue with the new 5 as a design (more palatable).

i wouldn't call it "cheap"; just some 'challenging' aspects to the design for an old curmudgeon such as myself.

Masskrug
12-04-2003, 05:54 PM
actually, i think the 5 series has some presence in person. and it is not an odd duckling sort of presence like the E65. it's decent.

i wouldn't call it "cheap"; just some 'challenging' aspects to the design for an old curmudgeon such as myself.

I work with a couple of other guys who are NOT car nuts. They lke cars enough, but not to an enthusiast level, so I'd label them as "average Joes". We were out having lunch the other day, and surveyed an E60 in the parking lot.

Both guys did not have favorable reactions. The reaction was even worse when I told them what the MSRP was. Both felt it looked like a car worth 1/2 of sticker price.

Plaz
12-04-2003, 06:41 PM

I work with a couple of other guys who are NOT car nuts. They lke cars enough, but not to an enthusiast level, so I'd label them as "average Joes". We were out having lunch the other day, and surveyed an E60 in the parking lot.

Both guys did not have favorable reactions. The reaction was even worse when I told them what the MSRP was. Both felt it looked like a car worth 1/2 of sticker price.

And you didn't "lead the witnesses" in any way? :?

Masskrug
12-04-2003, 07:01 PM

And you didn't "lead the witnesses" in any way? :?

I will admit that this is merely one casual story, and an anecdotal one at that.

But no, I did not offer my own opinion, I merely sat there as impassively as I could... although my poker buddies will tell you I'm no Chris Moneymaker, so I suppose my face could've given away my feelings.

For the record, I am still mixed about the E60. I think it makes the E39 look dated, like the E65 did to it's predecessor. However, I am not sure I like the overall package as it seems to be a disjointed 3 box design. I don't think it's ugly though. But I will say this: BMW is crazy to ask 50 large for a 530i with the sport package and maybe a few other goodies.

Rob
12-04-2003, 08:35 PM
But I will say this: BMW is crazy to ask 50 large for a 530i with the sport package and maybe a few other goodies.

It always amazes me when people have opinions like this. Why is BMW crazy? People are paying that price! :lol:

I think the people who are paying that kind of money for a car you don't think is worth it ought to be your crazy target.

I don't think you can knock the 50k price unless you knock the entire price structure. They didn't go up all that much from the predecessor and they *should* be more expensive than a three series. Is a 330i worth 40k? Well, they sure do sell a lot of them. Is it worth 10k more than some of its competition? Tougher question, but apparently, b/c they sure do sell a lot of them. Are all of these BUYERS who are paying that kind of money crazy? Probably, myself included.

Personally, I am happier with the price of the used e36 that already took a depreciation hit. Did I ever mention it's still worth within $500 of what I paid for it? ;)

SARAFIL
12-04-2003, 09:15 PM
My answer to people that constantly say that the E60 530i is over priced at $50k:

Go to www.mbusa.com, and build a comparable E320.

Notice that the 530i is still noticeably cheaper.

End of story.

clyde
12-04-2003, 09:20 PM
My answer to people that constantly say that the E60 530i is over priced at $50k:

Go to www.mbusa.com, and build a comparable E320.

Notice that the 530i is still noticeably cheaper.

End of story.

That only means that the E320 is more overpriced than the E60 530i. So?

That said, if people are paying for both cars, neither of them is overpriced. If the prices they get allow BMW to make an obscene profit, good for them! That's how the system is supposed to work. :thumbup:

The HACK
12-04-2003, 09:49 PM
The biggest complaint I've seen/heard is how the newer BMW interior replacement for "leatherette" looks and feels cheaper.

It's not as soft and the pattern on the vinyl does not try to simulate "leather", unlike leatherette/vinyl parts in the past. No leather looking plastic equates to cheap-ness in some people's eyes.

That was the first thing that caught my eye on the Z4, E65, and E60. Takes some getting used to since the texture is SO different than what I am used to. After a couple of month the only time I notice is when I switch from car to car.

Another thing, the "padding" material underneath the vinyl is significantly thinner as well, probably why it lead to a feeling of cheapness since it's nothing but hard plastic underneath more hard plastic. If you notice, on E39s and E46s the dash actually has a slight "give" when you press down. On the Z4 there's no give and no rebound underneath the trim.

Melissa
12-05-2003, 12:47 PM
I saw the new 5 in person and wasn't woo'd by it. Jake and I both thought that it looks better on tv.