PDA

View Full Version : XM for 2003 3-series?

SteveM
12-25-2005, 06:52 PM
OK, Santa left me coal and not an XM kit for my car - primarily because it wasn't on my list. :)

Is there a recommended source for an XM radio for a 2003 330i with in-dash single CD player (no nav)?

Is there a unit that would be integrated with the steering wheel controls that could also be removed and used indoors?

Alternately, a fixed unit that would be integrated and not used with stereo indoors? A quick search looks like the Blitzsafe unit fits this category, but are there others?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

ZBB
12-26-2005, 12:34 AM
OK, Santa left me coal and not an XM kit for my car - primarily because it wasn't on my list. :)

Is there a recommended source for an XM radio for a 2003 330i with in-dash single CD player (no nav)?

Is there a unit that would be integrated with the steering wheel controls that could also be removed and used indoors?

Alternately, a fixed unit that would be integrated and not used with stereo indoors? A quick search looks like the Blitzsafe unit fits this category, but are there others?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

'03s should have factory Sirius wiring (my '03 E39 does). I'd recommend the XM Direct with Blitzsafe. I got mine for ~$130 (I think) last spring online some place. Just be sure to get the Blitzsafe adapter that has a CD Changer pass-through (its $10 more than the one without, and gives you the option to add a changer or Dension ICE Link later).

I've noticed some minor bugs on my XM Direct (moving down a preset sometimes it displays the next station, but doesn't actually change), but overall it works great. Has full integration to the car -- makes the car think its Sirius since it plugs in through that wiring. Displays info on the head unit and you can use the stearing wheel buttons to change between presets.