PDA

View Full Version : Initial Shark Impressions (E46 330Ci)

SpaceMonk
12-04-2003, 12:18 AM
Okay, I'm very pleased. :thumbup: :thumbup:

As soon as I pulled onto the street, I could feel a noticable power increase, which actually surprised me. I guess it could be my imagination, but I really wasn't expecting it to be so noticable. Mind you, it's not an enormous change (and I do have a CAI). But I felt something right away. Nice.

Throttle response is much improved. Very linear now. Better response time. This was what I wanted most, and I'm satisfied.

Of course, the 7k redline is great. With the 330's silly ratio of 2.93, I can now hit 70mph in second gear. Boy does the engine sound sweet between 6000-7000 rpms! :D

I just took a short test drive on back roads, so I couldn't test the removal of the governer's cap.

These are just my initial responses. We'll see if my enthusiasm dies down over the next few days/weeks, or if it increases. :twisted:

lemming
12-04-2003, 09:41 AM
didja order yours through Turner or Josh at EuroSport?

SpaceMonk
12-04-2003, 10:00 AM
I got it from Turner.

After driving in to work today, I can definitely say acceleration is improved. Hopefully a few other people can drive my car soon so we can hear their impressions as well.

lemming
12-04-2003, 10:02 AM
cool.

thanks, 'monk.

sidebar: if you ever listen to 850AM in the morning, i do to keep my sanity in traffic for laughs, you know that they call teh sweatshirt that Coach Belichik wears the monk-shirt. cracks me up. they're always betting if he's going to wear the monk-shirt. in miami or in this weekend's snow.

lemming
12-04-2003, 10:05 AM
okay.

am gettin' one now. kwanzaa present to myself.

(that was joke, in case the PC police read that).

SpaceMonk
12-04-2003, 10:09 AM
cool.

thanks, 'monk.

sidebar: if you ever listen to 850AM in the morning, i do to keep my sanity in traffic for laughs, you know that they call teh sweatshirt that Coach Belichik wears the monk-shirt. cracks me up. they're always betting if he's going to wear the monk-shirt. in miami or in this weekend's snow.
Heh. I've only seen Belichik wear that shirt once, but it was foolish looking. I don't care for Dennis and Callahan that much, but I do listen to 850 at times for the morning commute, especially on Mondays. Haven't heard the monk comments, but that's funny. :lol:

lemming
12-04-2003, 10:36 AM
...and therefore, your name shall therefore be 'monk-shirt'.

SpaceMonk
12-04-2003, 10:40 AM
...and therefore, your name shall therefore be 'monk-shirt'.
:lol: D'oh!

lemming
12-04-2003, 10:52 AM
um, does the Conforti programming minimize that wretched DBW throttle delay?

SpaceMonk
12-04-2003, 11:19 AM
um, does the Conforti programming minimize that wretched DBW throttle delay?
Yes. Thank god.

Plaz
12-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Well, I now have a ZJC! Thanks again to The HACK for the use of his battery charger. We used my iPod as a mirror to check on the LED status of the injector during the various machinations of installation.

It will take some time to fully evaluate it, of course, but here are my initial impressions, after driving on some regular surface streets, highways, and a brief trafficky Mulholland Drive experience.

Power:
Per my expectations, I don't think I have appreciably more overall power. But it sure feels like there's more power. The revised throttle mapping plays some neat psychological games, for some neat psychological gains.

Throttle mapping:
Very interesting.

Launches, 1-2 shifts -- I've never been one who complained about DBW "throttle lag," or trouble with smooth launches and/or 1-2 shifts. I don't think this is as much indicative of my car's setup being appreciatively different than anyone else's '02 330, as much as it is that I had less trouble than some, perhaps, adapting to the idiosyncracies of the system.

That being said, with the new mapping, I definitely find myself feathering/slipping the clutch less on launches and 1-2 shifts. The throttle response at this point in the curve is definitely more predictable and consistent. As I mentioned to The HACK, it feels as if there's less "dead space" at the beginning of the pedal's travel. But again, I'm not sure how much of that is in my head vs. reality.

Acceleration -- There's little difference when mashing the pedal to the floor, of course. The top of the curve is the top of the curve. But there are definitely big differences in what I'd characterize as the "low-mid" part of the DBW throttle curve.

In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that there's a little bit of jumpiness/twitchiness when modulating the pedal at just under 20% throttle. You don't really feel it in normal street driving acceleration, because the engine isn't generally at high enough revs that it can respond quickly to the jump. But when driving, say, in 2nd gear with the revs up at 4500-ish, moving the pedal back and forth across this "lurch zone" -- say 17-22% throttle, the car jumps noticably.

I don't consider this a bad thing. It's part of the psychological game that makes the car feel more powerful than it really is. I certainly won't be driving in that band at anywhere near 10/10ths though, until I'm more acclimated to this new behavior. I wouldn't want to lurch unpredictably accelerating away from an apex on the track, for instance.

Interestingly, I think this rapid throttle advance within the curve is right around where the infamous CAI hiss/whistle occurs. I don't know if that played into Jim's planning at all when designing the new curve, but I suppose it's a possibility.

But while, as SpaceMonkey has observed, the car overall performs more smoothly, this is a bump in that smoothness that I'll have to get used to.

Rev. Limiter
Yup, it's higher. The engine will rev all the way to 7000. It sings a beautiful note up there, too.

Top Speed Limiter
No (sane) opportunity to check this out yet. Definitely not going to pull a Butthead and check this out on Tepulveda Blvd.

I'm planning a short Vegas trip over the holiday break, so I'll surely plan my route to take me via Death Valley, where I can see whether I run out of balls or top speed first. I still think my judgement is such that I'll run out of balls before I run out of talent (in a straight line, anyway), so no guarantees that I will actually reach the car's top speed. But I'm certain I'll get it up over 128... for verification purposes only, naturally.
:eeps:

Overall Conclusions, Notes, and Recommendations

If you have a sticky accelerator pedal, get it fixed before you install the Shark. A steeper DBW throttle curve and a sticky pedal would work together to drive you insane. Especially in that aforementioned "lurch zone."

It's pretty much what I expected. More fun, overall more predictable, and definitely more pep on the butt dyno. Absolutely worth the price of admission IMO.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

SpaceMonk
12-07-2003, 07:07 PM
You're probably right about the power gains being more pyschological. But I like it. :D

I haven't driven my car as much as I would have liked since I Sharked it, but I can't recall a power 'lurch'. And normal everyday driving I'm constantly between 4500-6500 rpms. (well, now I suppose it's 4500-7000 :P )

And it's just Monk over here. :twisted:

Plaz
12-07-2003, 07:13 PM
You're probably right about the power gains being more pyschological. But I like it. :D

I haven't driven my car as much as I would have liked since I Sharked it, but I can't recall a power 'lurch'. And normal everyday driving I'm constantly between 4500-6500 rpms. (well, now I suppose it's 4500-7000 :P )

And it's just Monk over here. :twisted:

:dunno:

Try cruising along in 2nd around 4500, and take your foot off the accelerator completely. Then slowly "squeeze" more power in up to about half throttle. I'll bet you'll feel a little bump in the curve.

lemming
12-08-2003, 11:39 AM
it's 'monk-shirt' and that's good company to be called that here in NE.

thanks for the feedback, Plaz.

they're already backordered.

SpaceMonk
12-08-2003, 11:46 AM
it's 'monk-shirt' and that's good company to be called that here in NE.

thanks for the feedback, Plaz.

they're already backordered.
Heh. Yes it is.

I heard Eurosport still have lots left.