PDA

View Full Version : Useless car talk

FC
12-19-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm bored. If you don't want to participate in "mbr's world"-talk, go to another thread. You've been warned.;)

So I had a long talk with my wife while we spent hours painting one of the bedrooms. The temporary decision was that in a few years our garage will consist of:

-Nice AWD family wagon (E-wagon?,diesel?)
-A sportscar/good weather commuter for me (Boxster/Cayman)
-A cheap, older SUV for occasional use that would be very utilitarian. Light towing, brutal snowtorms, 2nd winter car. This spares the nice wagon from the worst winter weather assault. Also, if the Saab can't accomodate a child and our stuff, we wont have the budget for an MB wagon soon so we may get the SUV as a stop-gap family car until then.

Issues I have with this list:

-I don't like the idea of having two boring, slushie cars. I'd commute in the winter with them, and it would suck not to have a stick for several months. I'd like to keep my (by then) old 330i for winter commuting, but it's tough to justify it as a 4th car.

-My wife is willing to let go of the idea of a Mini if we get a Boxster. But what if I rather have a Cayman vs a Boxster? Will my wife be all over me because she'd rather have a Boxster and she's not getting a Mini?

-I know my wife, she wont want a crappy SUV. We'll end up getting something like a lightly used LR3/GX470 instead of a more used JGC/4Runner I have in mind.

Thoughts?

And yes, none of this is immediate since were not pregnant yet.

JST
12-19-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm bored. If you don't want to participate in "mbr's world"-talk, go to another thread. You've been warned.;)

So I had a long talk with my wife while we spent hours painting one of the bedrooms. The temporary decision was that in a few years our garage will consist of:

-Nice AWD family wagon (E-wagon?,diesel?)
-A sportscar/good weather commuter for me (Boxster/Cayman)
-A cheap, older SUV for occasional use that would be very utilitarian. Light towing, brutal snowtorms, 2nd winter car. This spares the nice wagon from the worst winter weather assault. Also, if the Saab can't accomodate a child and our stuff, we wont have the budget for an MB wagon soon so we may get the SUV as a stop-gap family car until then.

-I don't like the idea of having two boring, slushie cars. I'd commute in the winter with them, and it would suck not to have a stick for several months. I'd like to keep my (by then) old 330i for winter commuting, but it's tough to justify it as a 4th car.

-My wife is willing to let go of the idea of a Mini if we get a Boxster. But what if I rather have a Cayman vs a Boxster? Will my wife be all over me because she'd rather have a Boxster and she's not getting a Mini?

-I know my wife, she wont want a crappy SUV. We'll end up getting something like a lightly used LR3/GX470 instead of a more used JGC/4Runner I have in mind.

Thoughts?

And yes, none of this is immediate since were not pregnant yet.

One thing about the Saabaru--note where the upper tethers are for a child seat. If they are like those on the Impreza (and I assume they are), they are located on the trim surrounding the lower part of the hatch, rather than on the back seats, which means A) they are not in a very convenient location; B) there are only two of them (not one in the middle); C) using them would preclude also using the cargo cover, near as I can figure; and d) even if "c" isn't right, using them would restrict the amount of cargo space back there. They are a really stupid design.

Why not use a Boxster as a cold weather commuter? All you need is snow tires; given the engine location, it might even be better in the snow than a 330.

FC
12-19-2005, 10:00 AM
One thing about the Saabaru--note where the upper tethers are for a child seat. If they are like those on the Impreza (and I assume they are), they are located on the trim surrounding the lower part of the hatch, rather than on the back seats, which means A) they are not in a very convenient location; B) there are only two of them (not one in the middle); C) using them would preclude also using the cargo cover, near as I can figure; and d) even if "c" isn't right, using them would restrict the amount of cargo space back there. They are a really stupid design.

Why not use a Boxster as a cold weather commuter? All you need is snow tires; given the engine location, it might even be better in the snow than a 330.

You are correct on both counts. I had noticed the tethers in the back, but since I don't need to care right now, I did not make the connection. I'll look closely tonight.

I guess I could drive the Boxster. Maybe even get a hardtop if need be.

John V
12-19-2005, 10:03 AM

Everyone keeps asking what I drive every day now that it's cold. It's difficult to explain to them that a Boxster actually works pretty well as a winter car for the reasons you mentioned, assuming it has good tires.

I personally do not understand the appeal of a big SUV just for winter use. I would much rather have an early 2000's 2.2L AWD Impreza - goes through anything and cheap enough that you won't care if it gets dinged, stone-chipped and abused. Plus, if you find a wagon, it'll have enough utility for making Lowe's runs and you can buy them with a stick. Plus, parts are cheap, theft rate is low, gas mileage is good, and insurance is next to nothing. IMO, the ultimate winter car.

Suck it up and get the Boxster S instead of the Cayman, get some POS winter car and focus on the family car.

blee
12-19-2005, 10:10 AM
I don't understand how the upper child seat tethers come into play. I know my infant carrier is designed to use the LATCH points exclusively (or the traditional seatbelt method), and when we were playing with the Britaxes I didn't see any indication that other points were necessary for the install. :dunno:

FC
12-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Everyone keeps asking what I drive every day now that it's cold. It's difficult to explain to them that a Boxster actually works pretty well as a winter car for the reasons you mentioned, assuming it has good tires.

I personally do not understand the appeal of a big SUV just for winter use. I would much rather have an early 2000's 2.2L AWD Impreza - goes through anything and cheap enough that you won't care if it gets dinged, stone-chipped and abused. Plus, if you find a wagon, it'll have enough utility for making Lowe's runs and you can buy them with a stick. Plus, parts are cheap, theft rate is low, gas mileage is good, and insurance is next to nothing. IMO, the ultimate winter car.

Suck it up and get the Boxster S instead of the Cayman, get some POS winter car and focus on the family car.

I already have an AWD impreza (2.5 RS). It just wears Saab clothes. I might as well keep that. But ground clearance is a big issue in greater Boston and more importantly, in Montreal where I go often (my wife is from there). Also, I'd like to think we'd get back in to skiing at some point, and I am tired of having to ask my dad for his F150 (he uses it for his buisness and it's only rarely available to me on Sundays only). With an SUV, I could tow a small lanscape trailer and be able to move large stuff. I do not want a very large SUV. Just something inexpensive and practical.

JST
12-19-2005, 10:23 AM
I don't understand how the upper child seat tethers come into play. I know my infant carrier is designed to use the LATCH points exclusively (or the traditional seatbelt method), and when we were playing with the Britaxes I didn't see any indication that other points were necessary for the install. :dunno:

What I don't know about child seats could fill volumes. With the LATCH system, you don't use upper tethers? I thought, based on nothing more than looking at the car and my own preconceptions, that seats were located at three points (the lower and upper tether locations).

If not, then Subaru's upper tether locations are immaterial.

EDIT:

According to this, at least, the top tether location is still used even in some LATCH applications.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/LATCH/QandA.html

blee
12-19-2005, 10:27 AM
What I don't know about child seats could fill volumes. With the LATCH system, you don't use upper tethers? I thought, based on nothing more than looking at the car and my own preconceptions, that seats were located at three points (the lower and upper tether locations).

Someone with actual parenting experience ought to chime in around now...

FC
12-19-2005, 10:28 AM

Well if that is the case, that offers some hope, but the Impreza is still a pretty small wagon/hatchback. Still, if I can get through it without swapping it for an SUV, I will.

FC
12-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Someone with actual parenting experience ought to chime in around now...

I think my warning at the very top scared them away.:eeps:

:D

blee
12-19-2005, 10:34 AM
If I had the resources right now, I'd buy another used Grand Cherokee and keep the Focus or replace it with something similar or maybe (gasp) RWD. Perhaps even find another E30 M3.

As it is, I don't have the money for extra cars. I think that my needs will change at some point to require a larger vehicle than the two we have now, but I plan to fight it as long as possible because my little Focus is much more fun to drive than any Jeep. What's more, any truly family friendly vehicle for us will have to be a slushie. I don't want to drive a slushie.

dan
12-19-2005, 11:16 AM
The upper tethers are used when the seat is forward facing, AFAIK.

blee
12-19-2005, 11:22 AM
The upper tethers are used when the seat is forward facing, AFAIK.
Found it in the Marathon install guide.

http://www.britaxusa.com/documents/MAR_R09.pdf

Tucked away some 10 pages after the LATCH and seatbelt installation instructions. Nice. :rolleyes: Just how required is that part of the seat, other than being highly recommended by Britax (and other manufacturers as well, I assume)?

ff
12-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't know that I would consider the top tethers as being required, especially when the lower LATCHes are used, and tightened properly. But it's just one more thing to keep the [top of the] seat from going anywhere in the event of a head-on collision. Maybe more "piece of mind", than anything.

TD
12-19-2005, 12:01 PM
LATCH or no LATCH, I'd always connect the tethers if I'm in a car that has a tether anchor point.

ff
12-19-2005, 12:16 PM
LATCH or no LATCH, I'd always connect the tethers if I'm in a car that has a tether anchor point.

Definitely, if you have the anchor point, only makes sense to use it.

clyde
12-19-2005, 12:27 PM
three point vs two point when forward facing. Not as easy to visualize as the difference between a lap belt and regular three point belt for an adult, but a similar principle.

wdc330i
12-19-2005, 12:38 PM

Thoughts?

And yes, none of this is immediate since were not pregnant yet.[/QUOTE]

Well, we were just up against this decision. We have a baby on the way, two dogs, and a steep vertical rise to our house--plus elderly parents who need rescuing and hauling from time to time no matter what the weather. And, our 325xiT is out of commission for several months because of a collision (friggin' stop sign runner).

We're not sure the little wagon will ever be the same--although Wagonworks assures us it will. And it feels too small with all the above requirements. So we just bought the e61 530xiT. When we get the 3 wagon back, we'll have to figure out which of the three cars goes. If we can love the little wagon again, it may end up being my 330i, alas; it's been a flawless, fabulous car. The little wagon is more tossable than the big 5, but is also not as fun in the twisties as my sedan.

The 5 is pleasant to drive. Plenty of frills, but no thrills....We did test drive the e90 325xit, and despite being a step, it was GREAT fun to drive--perhaps even more than my manual 330i with SP. Very flat in the curves, very accessible power. The car still feels a bit snug, though, with heavy family/zookeeper requirements.

I don't think either the new 3 or 5 has great ground clearance for the North Country. For laughs and at the dealer's urging, we test drove an X3 3.0 (the old engine, I think). Good handling for an SUV, entry-level BMW feeling inside, but some nice goodies. We didn't try one with SP and a manual, so maybe that would be the answer for you. Nothing luxurious about it though, if you're still looking to add that.

FC
12-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Well, we were just up against this decision. We have a baby on the way, two dogs, and a steep vertical rise to our house--plus elderly parents who need rescuing and hauling from time to time no matter what the weather. And, our 325xiT is out of commission for several months because of a collision (friggin' stop sign runner).

We're not sure the little wagon will ever be the same--although Wagonworks assures us it will. And it feels too small with all the above requirements. So we just bought the e61 530xiT. When we get the 3 wagon back, we'll have to figure out which of the three cars goes. If we can love the little wagon again, it may end up being my 330i, alas; it's been a flawless, fabulous car. The little wagon is more tossable than the big 5, but is also not as fun in the twisties as my sedan.

The 5 is pleasant to drive. Plenty of frills, but no thrills....We did test drive the e90 325xit, and despite being a step, it was GREAT fun to drive--perhaps even more than my manual 330i with SP. Very flat in the curves, very accessible power. The car still feels a bit snug, though, with heavy family/zookeeper requirements.

I don't think either the new 3 or 5 has great ground clearance for the North Country. For laughs and at the dealer's urging, we test drove an X3 3.0 (the old engine, I think). Good handling for an SUV, entry-level BMW feeling inside, but some nice goodies. We didn't try one with SP and a manual, so maybe that would be the answer for you. Nothing luxurious about it though, if you're still looking to add that.

I could consider a more car-like SUV, but if I am going to own an SUV AND a wagon, that SUV better have balls and be able to tow and get me through any kind of weather and have decent cargo room. I rather have a "real" SUV like a 4Runner/Disco/LR3/pathfinder. Heck, a pick-up would do, but my wife would not let it happen. Too bad too, it would really be a practical, utilitarian vehicle.

dan
12-19-2005, 04:26 PM
what do you need to tow?

wdc330i
12-19-2005, 04:27 PM
The 5 wagon can tow, if you're so inclined.

Nick M3
12-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Buy an old Tahoe. That's what I'm going to do. They're so cheap, it's silly.

FC
12-19-2005, 04:51 PM
what do you need to tow?

If I don't end up with a pick-up, which is extremely likely, I want to get a small trailer for moving anything that wont fit in the back of a medium-size SUV or wagon. Anything from appliances, lawn equipment, foliage/greenery to the local dump (no, they do not collect it), home improvement supplies, etc. I am tired of constantly bothering my dad about the truck. I must have used it 15-20 times last year and I feel like I call him about it every week.

But towing is not only function. Read above. I also need good ground clearance among other things.

bren
12-19-2005, 07:57 PM
I want to get a small trailer for moving anything that wont fit in the back of a medium-size SUV or wagon.
You could tow that with with a 1980 honda civic.

But towing is not only function. Read above. I also need good ground clearance among other things.
Doesn't the Subi Outback have better ground clearance than a Ford Exploder?

lemming
12-19-2005, 08:09 PM
i want a trailblazer SS. those are cheap....but i'm guessing if one would rather have a used LR3 then that level trim is out of the question.

might as well look for an E300 4matic wagon (diesel). that sounds cool and it's got that junior-league type of appeal that comes with it. i bet the e60(61) xiT is a good family hauler.

the new ML350 is a much better vehicle than the last generation. you should take a twirl in one of those. impressive for something that comes out of alabama.

FC
12-19-2005, 08:45 PM
You could tow that with with a 1980 honda civic.

Doesn't the Subi Outback have better ground clearance than a Ford Exploder?

I'm sure a civic could do it, I'm just not sure I'd want to. An outback has been brought up. Especially since it has always been our 1st choice to replace the Saabaru. In fact, we chose the Saabaru because we didn't want to spend the extra 10K on the Outback earlier this year.

And sure, if we needed ONE vehicle to do it all, the Outback would be it. You just give up other things. It is simply a very nice compromise.

But again, if we can afford two separate cars, I rather have the 2nd car be mroe capable and have headroom for more towing, more cargo, etc.

dan
12-19-2005, 08:49 PM
Will my wife be all over me because she'd rather have a Boxster and she's not getting a Mini?

Yes, and I would agree with her.

FC
12-19-2005, 08:53 PM
i want a trailblazer SS. those are cheap....but i'm guessing if one would rather have a used LR3 then that level trim is out of the question.

might as well look for an E300 4matic wagon (diesel). that sounds cool and it's got that junior-league type of appeal that comes with it. i bet the e60(61) xiT is a good family hauler.

the new ML350 is a much better vehicle than the last generation. you should take a twirl in one of those. impressive for something that comes out of alabama.

I don't know how serious my wife is about how nice the SUV out to be. I lost her after about 20 minutes of car talk.

The early 4-matic system was, in typical early-benz fashion, too sophisticated for its own good, making it pretty unreliable and a bitch (and $$$$) to maintain and repair. Those diesels are noisy and stinky and far too primitive by today's standards (ask me how I know). Plus, it doesn't solve the ground clearance issue.

The new ML IS nice. I drove one and my wife likes it a lot. It is confirmed to be one of the first MB vehicles to get a diesel in the US when they do get here. If we decide to forgoe the SUV + wagon idea and just get a wagon, the ML 320 CDI will be at the top of the list for its fuel economy. I don't care much about having a gas-guzzling SUV if it wont be driven much. But as a primary family and long-trip vehicle (and part-time winter commuter), fuel economy becomes very important.

ff
12-19-2005, 08:55 PM
The 5 wagon can tow, if you're so inclined.

http://www.cdnbvr.com/images/small-trailer-left-view-300.jpg

lemming
12-19-2005, 09:31 PM
I don't know how serious my wife is about how nice the SUV out to be. I lost her after about 20 minutes of car talk.

The early 4-matic system was, in typical early-benz fashion, too sophisticated for its own good, making it pretty unreliable and a bitch (and $$$$) to maintain and repair. Those diesels are noisy and stinky and far too primitive by today's standards (ask me how I know). Plus, it doesn't solve the ground clearance issue.

The new ML IS nice. I drove one and my wife likes it a lot. It is confirmed to be one of the first MB vehicles to get a diesel in the US when they do get here. If we decide to forgoe the SUV + wagon idea and just get a wagon, the ML 320 CDI will be at the top of the list for its fuel economy. I don't care much about having a gas-guzzling SUV if it wont be driven much. But as a primary family and long-trip vehicle (and part-time winter commuter), fuel economy becomes very important.

screw pre-owned. you are really good about keeping the cars. buy a nice car new and be done with it, dude.

it's morons like me that should buy used.

TD
12-19-2005, 09:41 PM
What about morons like me who buy 4 year old cars and still hold on to them for over 4 years?

rumatt
12-19-2005, 09:51 PM
What about morons like me who buy 4 year old cars and still hold on to them for over 4 years?

I'm sure if you do the math, you came out of ahead (relative to new). :dunno:

FC
12-19-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm sure if you do the math, you came out of ahead (relative to new). :dunno:

I surely came out ahead in buying my 10-year old 190E and holding on to it for ~5 years.

wdc330i
12-20-2005, 08:23 AM
I held onto my Japan-built Honda Accord hatchback for 9 years. After that, it's been every 2 1/2 to 4 years...Not good. But life, needs, and wants keep changing. If we sell my 330i and end up with two steptronic AWD station wagons, I know I'll be craving a sporty car within minutes of handing over the keys. Boxster?

FC
12-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Boxster?

:yes:

JetBlack330i
12-20-2005, 09:18 PM
The 06 ML is nice, but too soft for real towing or go anywhere rougher than a soccer field parking lot. No low range, no body on frame.
I towed 2 Suburbans last year with my ML320 (both got stuck in muddy soccer field parking lots. Really embarassing for them).
The ML impressed me so much that I just bought another one (the 05 model) last weekend. Fells much more solid than the 98 model. Increase of 17hp is nice (but weight is also up 400 lb due to more insulation material) and gas mileage is still very decent at 17/20.
One car, the ML, can do everything you were trying to do in the first post. Why bother with wagons?

lemming
12-20-2005, 09:58 PM

the problem, TD, is that you place a premium on foreign cars, still, so it makes sense, overall, to use your approach to cars.

i am an eternal optimist so i will keep buying GM products as long as they are dynamically superior to whatever else is out there but because they're inexpensive to begin with, i find it much more compelling to buy them new regardless of how long i hold 'em.

i envy people who can commit to a car and hold onto it long term.