PDA

View Full Version : MB will offer scratch reistant paint.

FC
12-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Pretty neat. One more reason to get a E-wagon vs a 5er wagon.

http://www.mbnz.org/news/news.asp?id=254

They are working on "self-cleaning wheels." :shock: :D

ayn
12-03-2003, 04:53 PM
does it have higher resistance to rock chips and stuff too? i dont mind minor scratches coz I've got the PC and stuff, but stone chips piss me off!

lemming
12-03-2003, 05:11 PM
weren't there rumors awhile back about a new manufacturing process that recaptured all of the vapor efficiently so now they can go back to solvent based as opposed to water based (what we have now) paint --and solvent based paint tends (okay, organic) to chip less.

so, this would completely make sense and be wonderful.

Doug
12-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Cool but what happens when some idiot hits ya? What body shop will be able to match that paint?

Rob
12-03-2003, 07:08 PM
That's awesome. I read an aritcle some months ago about how the University of Illinois was working on a plastic for autmotive use that heals itself when scratched. Put those two things together and a car built by BMW or Mercedes ought to last forever.

FC
12-04-2003, 08:16 AM
That's awesome. I read an aritcle some months ago about how the University of Illinois was working on a plastic for autmotive use that heals itself when scratched. Put those two things together and a car built by BMW or Mercedes ought to last forever.

I had a rep from GE Plastics come in to talk to us about their latest products and he mentioned this one plastic that can be formed and given metallic paint-like finishes. So in essence you don't have to ever paint bumbers, sidesquirts, mirrors, etc. The color would be integral to the part. Problem is that youd have to order a new part instead of just painting to match, but it was awesome. He said the top of the Smart roadster uses that.

Anyhow, I am not trying to say that this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's an improvement and it doesn't cost any extra, so I like it.