PDA

View Full Version : November Porsche sales...

FC
12-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Boxsters down 62%, 911s down 82% from last year's "year to date" level.

:roll:

I wonder how cheap Boxsters or 911 cabrios will get in the middle of winter in New England, given that in the middle of the summer they were handing out ridiculous discounts.

My thinking is, you show up after a big storm a day before the month ends and you could walk away with a hell fo a deal on a Boxster S. Too bad I am not in the market.

lemming
12-02-2003, 02:06 PM

I wonder how cheap Boxsters or 911 cabrios will get in the middle of winter in New England, given that in the middle of the summer they were handing out ridiculous discounts.

My thinking is, you show up after a big storm a day before the month ends and you could walk away with a hell fo a deal on a Boxster S. Too bad I am not in the market.

yeah, but my question is: do you really want one?

:P

anything that is labeled "911" that looks like a boxster will be go down in history as the most depreciated 911 ever.

the boxster seems like it would be a bargain, but it is also at the end of its useful shelf life. it's wobbly wobbly and still beating out the z4 in comparison tests. i dunno how it manages to do that, but it does.

this is one case where waiting is good because what most people don't realize is that when you buy a car with that many incentives, it bites you in the ass at the back end of the transaction because depreciation becomes even worse than it normally would be, as the saab paradigm shows.

FC
12-02-2003, 02:13 PM

yeah, but my question is: do you really want one?

:P

anything that is labeled "911" that looks like a boxster will be go down in history as the most depreciated 911 ever.

the boxster seems like it would be a bargain, but it is also at the end of its useful shelf life. it's wobbly wobbly and still beating out the z4 in comparison tests. i dunno how it manages to do that, but it does.

this is one case where waiting is good because what most people don't realize is that when you buy a car with that many incentives, it bites you in the ass at the back end of the transaction because depreciation becomes even worse than it normally would be, as the saab paradigm shows.

Very true on all counts. Once the new models come out, and they seem to be great and look great from what I hear (unlike OTHER brands), the 986's and 996's are going to TANK. The current boxsters will be dirt cheap. I never liked the 996's to begin with, so even at dirt-cheap prices I wouldn't own one. But as much as I'm sure the new Boxsters will rock, the allure of picking up a new current Boxster S (stripped) for close to 40K is appealing.

It's a good thing I don't have a choice. :D

ayn
12-02-2003, 03:06 PM
If I buy a P-car I don't want water in the motor... :p

lemming
12-02-2003, 03:40 PM

i'm softening my hardline.

i'd buy a 911 with water if it used the same block as the turbo/gt3/gt2. it's a significantly better engine built for the rigors of racing....less prone to fail from simple overheating.

which is also why i'd trust a second generation boxster engine. am sure that once they reap the money from that stupid cayenne thing, they'll stop being so cheapass and put more money into their motors by then.

Mathew
12-03-2003, 09:49 AM

:lol:

Very good philosophy to live by. :D

The HACK
12-03-2003, 11:49 AM

OMG Porsche's 996 chasis design must be turning off all the enthusiasts! Look at the horrible sales numbers!

Fire Porsche's design director now! :lol:

lemming
12-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Hack:

re: 996, it ain't the chassis, because it's obviously better than anything before it; it's the looks. anytime you make the premium model look like the lesser sibling........

re: boxster. it's been on the market since 1997 as a 1998 model. unchanged. 'nuff said.

Rob
12-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Now a used Boxter S in a year or two for a weekend car - most of the depreciation will probably be out of them by then, assuming the new improved Boxter really is an improvement.

lemming
12-03-2003, 08:52 PM
Now a used Boxter S in a year or two for a weekend car - most of the depreciation will probably be out of them by then, assuming the new improved Boxter really is an improvement.

hard to think it could get that much better. maybe stiffen up the chassis a little bit, maybe some more power --with some more robust engines.

but the boxster is a decent vehicle. i never knock its dynamics. i just worry about the engines too much to go out and buy one for myself. there is no question that it, conceived in 1995-7, is still the match if not superior to the z4 model year 2004.

THAT, my friends, is amazing.