PDA

View Full Version : I haven't washed a car in years...

clyde
01-20-2013, 10:59 AM
I haven't washed a car in years, and certainly not anything more involved. What's good these days?

I used to use Meguires Gold Class Car Wash for washing and Rejex every so often. Is there anything else with comparable effort and results?

bren
01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
A kid at the auto parts place turned me on to Turtle Wax Ice wash, and so far I really like it - nice and sudsy and does pretty well against water spots in the sun. Can't remember the last time I properly waxed something though. All I've been doing lately is to wash and then use that spray wax as you dry stuff every time. :speechle:

http://www.turtlewax.com/images/demostore/products/extralarge/T472R.jpg

clyde
01-20-2013, 11:05 PM
I used an unknown number of years old the Meguires stuff because it was there. Learned a few things about the car...

There are some scratches in a couple places on the back of the car. Looks like it came from something dragged or rubbed on the surface...like something abrasive in a wash mitt. My guess is it happened when they were prepping the car for me. As I was drying that part of the car, I couldn't take my eyes off off the scratches. From 5 feet away, I couldn't see them.

The car makes a lot of brake dust.

One of the things I loved about the RX-8 was it's featureless, slab sides and simple surfaces. Washing and drying is SO much easier without details to work around.

The dealer sticker came off pretty easy with a bit of heat.

The tow mirror like elements of the mirrors make the mirrors a bitch to dry.

The car is really shiny in twilight when it's clean.

Sharp11
01-20-2013, 11:27 PM
I just use the Mequires stuff and a nice mitt. I dry with those old cotton "royal arms" (i think that's the brand) towels and all's well.

I do the usual top down approach starting with the hood and trunk lid, then the tops of the fenders and sides, front grille, rear then lower sides with the rocker panels saved for last. Then the wheels with a separate soft brush and a rag to get in-between those pain-in-the-ass slats on the ZHP wheels.

Nice thing about a convertible is you sponge wash the top with a little soap, but no need to dry. The Z4 was especially awesome in this regard, a tiny top and even less metal to wash.

Nick M3
01-20-2013, 11:48 PM
I'm currently really liking the Glosshaus Polymer Sealant Wax. It's basically like Rejex, but even easier and longer lasting.

On my list of things to try is the Optimum Opti-Coat. Reviews are VERY positive, but you need to prep the car (or have a car in great shape) to use it, and I've been a bit lazy in that department. More annoying to apply, but lasts and lasts. Theoretically permanent, and people have so far gotten multi-year results.

clyde
02-10-2013, 05:29 PM
A kid at the auto parts place turned me on to Turtle Wax Ice wash, and so far I really like it - nice and sudsy and does pretty well against water spots in the sun. Can't remember the last time I properly waxed something though. All I've been doing lately is to wash and then use that spray wax as you dry stuff every time. :speechle:

http://www.turtlewax.com/images/demostore/products/extralarge/T472R.jpg

I bought a bottle of this today and just finished washing all the salt and muck off the car in time for the next 3" of salt and 1/2" of snow that's on it's way this week.

I can't say I expected it to smell like shampoo intended for human head hair, but it sure did.

Also bought a new hose because the old one's connectors were so banged up, it leaked badly at both ends. I don't like the new hose. Could just be that it's too stiff in this weather, but the old one is plenty soft and flexible.

kognito
02-10-2013, 09:09 PM
other than that, how did the stuff work???

clyde
02-10-2013, 11:24 PM
other than that, how did the stuff work???

An was low on the horizon and behind clouds when I finished. It was sudsy like Bren described, but I'm not sure it really got everything off that I would have expected. Had to touch up a bunch of areas that I wouldn't have expected. I don't think I completely missed them, but I didn't apply a lot of pressure, either.

Mostly, I was happy I started with the wheels instead of doing another "Oh shit," when I thought I was done.

bren
02-10-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't like the new hose.

Sounds like you need the "Pocket Hose"
http://www.asseenontvguys.com/images/pocket-hose-1.jpg

:D