PDA

View Full Version : I think I want to I-pod my BMW

FC
12-05-2005, 04:09 PM
I really drive my car a lot and plan on keeping it at least a few more years, so I think it's worth the trouble to integrate an I-pod.

Assuming none of you have a huge objection to me getting an I-pod in general, help me see if I am missing something:

1) Buy I-pod (30G in my case, I have no need for 60G - I'll only have music in there.) ~$299
2) Buy I-pod adapter for my car ~$149
3) Follow this (http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_ipod.shtml) install DIY.

That's it, right?:eeps:

Now, if I understand correctly, the Denison/ICE thingie is just for BMW's prior to 2002 or whatever, correct?:?

Finally, is there a better, no more expensive way to have my digital music library on my car?:eeps:

Thanks guys.:D

*I did search at the 'fest but there is almost too much info. It would be nice to get the Reader's Digest version form you guys, since I don't know why, but I trust you.:rolleyes: :D

rumatt
12-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I prefer my phatbox (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=6004) which you can buy for $360 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Like-new-20G-PhatNoise-PhatBox-for-BMW_W0QQitemZ5838167631QQcategoryZ1498QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Advantages:
- The install would be much easier
- It pronounces albums/artists to help you find music
- It goes in the trunk, no need to have it sitting somewhere in the cabin
- Thanks to Terry and others, the hard disk is upgradable if you want to go bigger in the future.

Disadvantage:
- Not portable.

EDIT: Oops, that ebay link isn't the one I thought it was. At one point there was a dealer selling new 20 gig BMW phatboxes, and he agreed to sell me one for $350 shipped. I can try to find his email if you wanted.

Plaz
12-05-2005, 04:22 PM
I prefer my phatbox (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=6004) which you can buy for $360 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Like-new-20G-PhatNoise-PhatBox-for-BMW_W0QQitemZ5838167631QQcategoryZ1498QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Advantages:
- The install would be much easier
- It pronounces albums/artists to help you find music
- It goes in the trunk, no need to have it sitting somewhere in the cabin
- Thanks to Terry and others, the hard disk is upgradable if you want to go bigger in the future.

Disadvantage:
- Not portable.

EDIT: Oops, that ebay link isn't the one I thought it was. At one point there was a dealer selling new 20 gig BMW phatboxes, and he agreed to sell me one for $350 shipped. I can try to find his email if you wanted.

Other disadvantage - you have to use their proprietary software for organization, correct?

BTW, I have my iPod in the trunk.

rumatt
12-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Other disadvantage - you have to use their proprietary software for organization, correct?

You have to use their software for transferring it to the phatbox, but you can use whatever you like to organize your music. I use itunes, and just point the phatbox software at the music directory. It picks up the changes automatically, and then I can send it to the phatbox.

However, if you want the phatbox to read AAC files, you need to pay an extra $15 for a software upgrade. :ack:

dan
12-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Now, if I understand correctly, the Denison/ICE thingie is just for BMW's prior to 2002 or whatever, correct?:?

no.

get the icelink.

rumatt
12-05-2005, 04:40 PM
The BMW adapter doesn't show song info on the display.

Earlier icelink versions don't, but I believe the latest icelink does. (right?)

dan
12-05-2005, 04:43 PM
mine does in my 2003 E46

ayn
12-05-2005, 04:59 PM
IIRC the BMW solution can only play the songs in a few pre-defined playlists. You could put your entire collection in a playlist, but it might be a bit hard to navigate...

Our ICELink v1.1 is a bit buggy, the newer ones should be better... I like the ICELink coz you get to keep the iPod user interface... There is also the Harmon/Kardon solution that looks good... I'm thinking about going with Alpine in my Evo, it costs about the same as the ICELink, and I get a new head unit with it... the stock HU is crap...

Plaz
12-05-2005, 05:13 PM
The only problem I have with my ICELink is that it drops the stereo into FM mode every once in awhile... this is apparently only an issue with older NAV units like mine.

gek330i
12-05-2005, 06:11 PM
The only problem I have with my ICELink is that it drops the stereo into FM mode every once in awhile... this is apparently only an issue with older NAV units like mine.
Get the Icelink. Better interface. I don't have nav, so I have never experienced the drop into FM. No complaints really after 6 months using it.

I like the artist/song text display in the OEM head unit and that I can use the steering wheel controls. You can place the iPod in the glove box, trunk or under the head unit easily. I have it next to the the HU.

http://www.fiebru.net/misc/bm/icelinkplus/IMG_4179b.jpg

rumatt
12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
You can place the iPod in the glove box, trunk or under the head unit easily.

Yes, it's easy to put it there, but once you do is it easy to use the system with it there?

I have never tried, but I've had someone (*cough* Bren *cough*) say they keep the ipod visible because it's easier to control the songs that way than through the head unit interface.

BahnBaum
12-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Yes, it's easy to put it there, but once you do is it easy to use the system with it there?

I have never tried, but I've had someone (*cough* Bren *cough*) say they keep the ipod visible because it's easier to control the songs that way than through the head unit interface.

How well would that Phattyboxy thing fit in my pocket if I decided to take it on a business trip with me?

Alex

operknockity
12-05-2005, 06:28 PM
How well would that Phattyboxy thing fit in my pocket if I decided to take it on a business trip with me?It wouldn't.

rumatt
12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
How well would that Phattyboxy thing fit in my pocket if I decided to take it on a business trip with me?

It might fit if you have big pockets. The real problem is bringing along the car battery to power it.

If your car is one of the many places you will use the devise, then you obviously should get an ipod. But if you want a solution for your car only (which may or may not apply to MBR), I think the phatbox wins hands down.

FC
12-05-2005, 06:30 PM
no.

get the icelink.

Why do I want it, and how much does it cost?

EDIT: So I need the ICElink to be able to see the songs displayed? That's dumb. So how much is it?

BTW, I do like the ability to take the I-pod with me.

Thanks for all the feedback.

BahnBaum
12-05-2005, 06:35 PM
It wouldn't.

Put on your e-goggles. I was being sarcastic.

Where did I read that earlier today?

;)

Alex

BahnBaum
12-05-2005, 06:37 PM
If your car is one of the many places you will use the devise, then you obviously should get an ipod. But if you want a solution for your car only (which may or may not apply to MBR), I think the phatbox wins hands down.

I don't have an iPod or a phatbox. Haven't figured out how to squish an 8 track into them.

But if and when I decide to solve a problem that I don't have, I would think that the iPod's flexibility would trump any of the phatbox benefits. But that's just me.

Alex

clyde
12-05-2005, 06:38 PM
You have to use their software for transferring it to the phatbox

Then how do I transfer music to mine using my Mac? :? Phatbox never wrote Mac software for it. :dunno:

Oh yeah, I use something that someone else wrote. It even works better. :banghead:

clyde
12-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Get the Icelink. Better interface. I don't have nav, so I have never experienced the drop into FM. No complaints really after 6 months using it.

I like the artist/song text display in the OEM head unit and that I can use the steering wheel controls. You can place the iPod in the glove box, trunk or under the head unit easily. I have it next to the the HU.

http://www.fiebru.net/misc/bm/icelinkplus/IMG_4179b.jpg

Can you navigate to specific artist/album/song/genre/playlist without looking at the display?

rumatt
12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
But if and when I decide to solve a problem that I don't have, I would think that the iPod's flexibility would trump any of the phatbox benefits. But that's just me.

Icelink alone is $199.

Phatbox is $350 and is a lot more user friendly while in the vehicle.

You could have Phatbox + your ipod for an additional $150

Cheap bastard. :p

clyde
12-05-2005, 06:43 PM
I would think that the iPod's flexibility would trump any of the phatbox benefits.

Having used both quite extensively, the advantages of the iPod are only one side of the coin. The inherent flexability of the iPod also entails inherent disadvantages. It's up to the user to decide which outweigh the others.

bren
12-05-2005, 06:51 PM
...but I've had someone (*cough* Bren *cough*) say they keep the ipod visible because it's easier to control the songs that way than through the head unit interface.
IMO, trying to navigate through thousands of songs on the 1 line interface of the OE headunit gets old fast. I like the icelink and it's tough to beat the simplicity of the ipod interface.

rumatt
12-05-2005, 06:53 PM
it's tough to beat the simplicity of the ipod interface.

It's not tough to beat it when you're designing for someone who is driving a vehicle.

clyde
12-05-2005, 07:02 PM
It's not tough to beat it when you're designing for someone who is driving a vehicle.
particularly at 148 MPH

FC
12-05-2005, 07:21 PM
Icelink alone is $199.

:eek: :ack:

F-That.

If phatbox is only $350, and teh install is simple, I may go that way.

For the phatbox, the ~$350 includes EVERYTHING I will need?

Also, one could just add the AUX input and plug the Ipod to that. It's generic and not very user friendly, but you can plug anything to it.

bren
12-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Also, one could just add the AUX input and plug the Ipod to that. It's generic and not very user friendly, but you can plug anything to it.
I'd go this route before the BMW/Ipod thing. Only problem is you'll have to remember to charge the ipod.

bren
12-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Yeah, kinda like I-drive.

rumatt
12-05-2005, 07:28 PM
For the phatbox, the ~$350 includes EVERYTHING I will need?

Well, yes.. if you can actually find it at that price. :speechle: That was a dealer on ebay that was selling them, but I don't see it any more.

I'd hunt around and see what you find before deciding.

(plus $15 if you want to play AAC)

FC
12-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Well, yes.. if you can actually find it at that price. :speechle: That was a dealer on ebay that was selling them, but I don't see it any more.

I'd hunt around and see what you find before deciding.

(plus $15 if you want to play AAC)

Well I suppose I could just skip the ICElink. I'd still be able to use the steering wheel controls even if I can' see the songtitles.

dan
12-05-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't think so

dan
12-05-2005, 08:14 PM
when y'all are talking about "using the ipod interace", do you just mean using the click wheel to pick the song you want to hear, etc.?

I'm not sure mine is allowing me to do that :ack: (while it's docked)

rumatt
12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Well I suppose I could just skip the ICElink. I'd still be able to use the steering wheel controls even if I can' see the songtitles.

If you buy the $150 bmw hookup, yeah.

FC
12-05-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't think so

So what's the advantage of "Ipod-ing my BMW?":? It's just an aux input with a charger?:?

FC
12-05-2005, 08:24 PM
If you buy the $150 bmw hookup, yeah.

Oh ok, that's what I thought. Man, this is not as easy as I though. Decision-wise, I mean.:irate:

bren
12-05-2005, 08:32 PM
when y'all are talking about "using the ipod interace", do you just mean using the click wheel to pick the song you want to hear, etc.?

I'm not sure mine is allowing me to do that :ack: (while it's docked)
Yup. I can use the ipod interface and the steering wheel controls. It just doesn't display song title/info on the HU in this mode.

You might just need a firmware update.

rumatt
12-05-2005, 08:36 PM
It just doesn't display song title/info on the HU in this mode.

:ack:

So then why not just use the aux input and skip the icelink?

dan
12-05-2005, 08:40 PM
So what's the advantage of "Ipod-ing my BMW?":? It's just an aux input with a charger?:?

oh, I thought you had switched to just talking about the aux-input

dan
12-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Yup. I can use the ipod interface and the steering wheel controls. It just doesn't display song title/info on the HU in this mode.

You might just need a firmware update.

or maybe I just need to read the instructions again :eeps:

bren
12-05-2005, 08:43 PM
:ack:

So then why not just use the aux input and skip the icelink?
Good question.

I've heard the sound quality with the Aux thing isn't so great. And there is the charging issue, and you'll need/want some sort of cradle to hold the ipod so you can access it's interface.

With a sale, coupons, and a gift cert., the IceLink was pretty cheap for me :D

operknockity
12-05-2005, 08:45 PM
So what's the advantage of "Ipod-ing my BMW?":? It's just an aux input with a charger?:?Umm. No. It's BMW's version of ICElink, which allows use of the steeringwheel buttons and display of some data on the HU. The aux-in is just an aux-in and isn't integrated in to anything for display/control.

operknockity
12-05-2005, 08:46 PM
couponsCoupons????? Where'd you get coupons??????? (I've been out of the loop for a while and have not been following the ICElink threads on any of the boards.)

bren
12-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Coupons????? Where'd you get coupons??????? (I've been out of the loop for a while and have not been following the ICElink threads on any of the boards.)
Best Buy sells it.

rumatt
12-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Sounds to me like I'd either use the aux in (ie, cheap), or I'd get a phatbox.

gek330i
12-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Have you guys checked out this other thread?
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showthread.php?t=4738&highlight=ipod

I made another post about this at the fest too. I'll look for it.

FC
12-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Wait a minute. It's either the BMW adapter OR the Icelink? So the Icelink is just a better hook up? I thought I would need the BMW hook up AND Icelink. :rolleyes:

It sounds a lot more reasonable now to spend an extra ~50 bucks.

I'm stupid.:(

I guess I want this setup then. I kinda like the one where the Ipod goes where the cupholders are.

ZBB
12-06-2005, 10:56 AM
I also have an ICE Link... Its awesome and free of any critical bugs (with the latest firmware).

Here's how I see your choices:

With iPod:
Aux-in Adapter: Audio only, no integration with the car or charging. Cheapest method.

iPod your BMW: Get steering wheel control, charging, a little less expensive. Drawback is no text display and limited to first 5 playlists on the iPod. Only a butt-plug avail - no dock.

ICE Link: Same benefits as iPod your BMW, plus the capability to display artist/song title on the head unit. Menus can also be displayed using the ICE Link interface -- so you can select other playlists, artists, or even songs directly (although scrolling through 7000+ songs is a bit tedious ;-) ). Can get a dock (with the Best Buy kit), or a butt-plug (if you order it online), so you have a little more flexibility in mounting (for an e46, i'd recommend the butt-plug and putting the iPod in the Euro console replacement for the cupholders). Their support is pretty good -- I had to return my original unit, and they were fairly quick to respond with the install questions I had. Edit: Works with XM Direct if you get the XM Direct Blitzsafe adapter with the CD passthrough.

Without iPod:
Phatbox. When these first came out, I was intrigued, but lost interest with the price being originally >$800. I realize its come down and you may be able to get one for less than and iPod + ICE Link. But I'd be worried about long-term support. Plus you lose the portability of an iPod -- I use my iPod mostly on planes when I travel, a little bit in the office, and about 1-2x a week in the car (XM mostly for the car).

Either way you go, you will enjoy it!!!

rumatt
12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
So our cliff notes summary wasn't the most clear, huh? :p

It took me a few days to figure out the whole ice link / bmw adapter / ipod disaster.

EDIT: nice cliff notes ZBB!

ZBB
12-06-2005, 11:04 AM
I guess I want this setup then. I kinda like the one where the Ipod goes where the cupholders are.

What color interior do you have? I still have a sand-color Euro-console left over from my e46..

FC
12-06-2005, 02:46 PM
What color interior do you have? I still have a sand-color Euro-console left over from my e46..

Black. Thanks for the offer. I think I will go with the Black I-Pod too.:D

Thanks a lot guys!!!

I think ICElink with butt plug in the euro console is the way to go.:D

Now I just have to tell my wife. It's her Xmas present to me.

BahnBaum
12-06-2005, 02:56 PM
....butt plug.... It's her Xmas present to me.

Party at Fernando's.

Alex

rumatt
12-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Party at Fernando's.

Alex

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

glad I'm not alone (http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpost.php?p=86517&postcount=21)

FC
12-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Party at Fernando's.

Alex

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just applying lingo already used!

SteveM
12-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Count me out if there's butt plugs involved...

rumatt
12-06-2005, 03:20 PM

Party pooper.

FC
12-06-2005, 03:27 PM
pooper.

:rolleyes:

clyde
12-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Party pooper.
What a shitty thing to say.

ZBB
12-06-2005, 04:56 PM

Still smarting from that enema experience in LA Story?

SteveM
12-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Still smarting from that enema experience in LA Story?

;-)

Heh, good thing I changed my avatar.

So Fernando, what did you end up deciding on the ipod in-car?

FC
12-07-2005, 08:17 AM
;-)

Heh, good thing I changed my avatar.

So Fernando, what did you end up deciding on the ipod in-car?

I'm pretty sure I'll get the Black 30G Ipod, and the denison Icelink plus cable that allows me to store it in the euro tray that replaces the cup holders (I never used them anyhow).:cool:

dan
12-20-2005, 09:11 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124093