PDA

View Full Version : paint that unscratches itself

clyde
12-05-2005, 11:41 AM
http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2005/12/02/afx2364947.html

Nissan Motor Co said it has created a car paint that repairs scratches on its own, restoring a car's surface to normal within a week.

ff
12-05-2005, 11:57 AM
It'll be interesting to see if it really works as advertised.

bren
12-05-2005, 01:01 PM
This would be nice for those times when you let someone else autox your car ;)

I wonder what happens after the coating wears off in 3 years.

clyde
12-05-2005, 01:13 PM
From the description, it sounds like it will just stop "repairing" new scratches after three years. What it sounds like to me is that it is a very slightly malleable resin that has a three year cure time. During the cure time, when a scratch is introduced, the resin from the surrounding area flows back in to fill the scratch. Think of applying a fresh "watery" paint to a surface and then immediately scribing a very, very fine line in the surface. Provided that the paint is still "wet" enough, it will fill the line pretty quickly. What it sounds like they've done, is devised a way to impart some control on that process. Once it cures, it won't fill any new scratches, but the previously filled scratches should remain repaired.

ff
12-05-2005, 01:18 PM
From the description, it sounds like it will just stop "repairing" new scratches after three years. What it sounds like to me is that it is a very slightly malleable resin that has a three year cure time. During the cure time, when a scratch is introduced, the resin from the surrounding area flows back in to fill the scratch. Think of applying a fresh "watery" paint to a surface and then immediately scribing a very, very fine line in the surface. Provided that the paint is still "wet" enough, it will fill the line pretty quickly. What it sounds like they've done, is devised a way to impart some control on that process. Once it cures, it won't fill any new scratches, but the previously filled scratches should remain repaired.

Sounds reasonable. I wonder if the surface will require different care techniques (buffing, waxing, etc)? And also wonder what will happen when those panels need to be repaired or replaced at a body shop.

Rob
12-05-2005, 01:23 PM
I wonder if you will be able to have it put on the surface of any old car. I would pay a lot of money to a detailer that could put that stuff on.

blee
12-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Would be nice for autocrossing, "badges of honor" be damned.