PDA

View Full Version : Well, I think it's about time I buy those winter tires.

FC
12-01-2003, 02:38 PM
I think I am going with the 225/45 R17 LM-22's all round on stock M68's.

Any last minute objections? I know the 225's will be a bit narrow for the 8.5" rear wheels, but it has been done before and it's under spec.

$655 shipped for all 4 tires at the 'rack.

clyde
12-01-2003, 02:44 PM

Any last minute objections? I know the 225's will be a bit narrow for the 8.5" rear wheels, but it has been done before and it's under spec.

I have no objections at this time. :D

Narrow tire in snow = good.

FC
12-01-2003, 03:10 PM

I have no objections at this time. :D

Narrow tire in snow = good.

:D :cool:

lemming
12-01-2003, 07:13 PM
what took you so long!?!?!?!?

:smile:

FC
12-02-2003, 08:29 AM

Well, I procrastinated yesterday and woke up to reality. Ice all over, sand, salt,... just crap everywhere. I am placing the order now.

Sad, really... the 330i is going into partial hibernation starting tomorrow.

Winter is here.

First order of business when I get home is to swap the all seasons for the WS-50's on my old benz.

lemming
12-02-2003, 10:02 AM

Well, I procrastinated yesterday and woke up to reality. Ice all over, sand, salt,... just crap everywhere. I am placing the order now.

Winter is here.

First order of business when I get home is to swap the all seasons for the WS-50's on my old benz.

holy cow were there some slick spots on the roads today.

it's not about the snow traction as much as it is about cold temperature grip plus a decent tread pattern. i watched in horror as a some cars would hit black ice and swerve around in front of me or behind me.

i kept thinking, "whatever happens, i'm in a cheap car" over and over.

FC
12-02-2003, 10:09 AM

Winter is here.

holy cow were there some slick spots on the roads today.

it's not about the snow traction as much as it is about cold temperature grip plus a decent tread pattern. i watched in horror as a some cars would hit black ice and swerve around in front of me or behind me.

i kept thinking, "whatever happens, i'm in a cheap car" over and over.

That's why I like driving my 190E with a KBB value of under 2K. :twisted:

That will be my primary winter car, unless my fiancee needs a car to take into the city. Only then will I take the 330i to work.

lemming
12-02-2003, 10:18 AM
i'm thinking of getting a battle wagon (for dogs) to tow a track only car, too. something with an old pushrod v8 like a used tahoe or an old grand wagoneer with that awful (cool to me) plastic faux wood siding.

city mpg: 12-14mpg.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

okay. then i get sane and have to know that that would get old really fast.

clyde
12-02-2003, 11:44 AM
i'm thinking of getting a battle wagon (for dogs) to tow a track only car, too. something with an old pushrod v8 like a...an old grand wagoneer with that awful (cool to me) plastic faux wood siding.

city mpg: 12-14mpg.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

My mother had one of those years ago. We took a family trip in it from DC to Canada (via Cooperstown, NY) one summer. Shortly after we left the house, my mother insisted on using the a/c instead of keeping the windows down like my father wanted. I'll never forget my father throwing up his arms and belting out, "There goes the gas mileage! Arrgh!"

My mom had it for about a year...until a valet parker totalled it by driving it into a garage wall under full throttle.

FC
12-02-2003, 12:56 PM
...until a valet parker totalled it by driving it into a garage wall under full throttle.

:? :roll:

What an idiot. :slap:

FC
12-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Done, 4 LM-22s on their way.

PDZ... do you know any good places around here (Natick) that have the right equipment so as to not damage the wheels?

The Tirerack recommends a couple. I wanted to see if you had used any of them. Thanks.

Nick M3
12-02-2003, 01:17 PM
...until a valet parker totalled it by driving it into a garage wall under full throttle.

One should note that the valet thought he was pushing the brake... And with good reason.

FC
12-02-2003, 01:26 PM

One should note that the valet thought he was pushing the brake... And with good reason.

Why the good reason? The pedals where reversed? I can see hitting teh brake when going for the clutch (and that's a stretch). I'm sure I'm missing something. :?

clyde
12-02-2003, 02:00 PM

Why the good reason? The pedals where reversed? I can see hitting teh brake when going for the clutch (and that's a stretch). I'm sure I'm missing something. :?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the valet thought that he was on the brake, but he probably didn't realize that he was on the throttle. My mother's right leg doesn't work very well and she needs a left foot throttle pedal. So, you have a pedal, to the left of the brake, with a bar attached to it that reaches over to the "real" throttle (that runs down to the floor over to the side and then back up) and pushes it down when the left pedal is used. When valets don't speak English, the best you can do is physically point it out and hope that they understand.

The english as a first language speakers that wreck her cars...well, there's just no excuse.

FC
12-02-2003, 02:07 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the valet thought that he was on the brake, but he probably didn't realize that he was on the throttle. My mother's right leg doesn't work very well and she needs a left foot throttle pedal. So, you have a pedal, to the left of the brake, with a bar attached to it that reaches over to the "real" throttle (that runs down to the floor over to the side and then back up) and pushes it down when the left pedal is used. When valets don't speak English, the best you can do is physically point it out and hope that they understand.

The english as a first language speakers that wreck her cars...well, there's just no excuse.

I see. Still, given that his job is to park cars, you'd think one could do better.

SpaceMonk
12-02-2003, 03:01 PM

PDZ... do you know any good places around here (Natick) that have the right equipment so as to not damage the wheels?

The Tirerack recommends a couple. I wanted to see if you had used any of them. Thanks.
Autobahn Automotive did a good job mounting my LM-22's. They're a little independant BMW shop near Routes 9 and 27. http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/friends/advertisers.asp

A little pricey to mount low-profile tires, but they're nice and sponsor free undercarriage tech sessions for the club.

FC
12-02-2003, 03:08 PM

Autobahn Automotive did a good job mounting my LM-22's. They're a little independant BMW shop near Routes 9 and 27. http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/friends/advertisers.asp

A little pricey to mount low-profile tires, but they're nice and sponsor free undercarriage tech sessions for the club.

They are less than a mile from my apartment, and yes I do know them. I don't know why I didn't think of them. Thanks.

How much do they charge? :?:

SpaceMonk
12-02-2003, 03:15 PM
They are less than a mile from my apartment, and yes I do know them. I don't know why I didn't think of them. Thanks.

For low profile tires: $120 to mount and balance (set of four)

Plus: $3.00 per weight; $2.50 per tire for disposal.

FC
12-02-2003, 03:17 PM

For low profile tires: $120 to mount and balance (set of four)

Plus: $3.00 per weight; $2.50 per tire for disposal.

That's not bad, assuming they have the right equipment etc. Pretty much what I expected. Cool, Thanks!

I understand the disposal charge, but what is "per weight"?

SpaceMonk
12-02-2003, 03:24 PM
They charge for each little metal sticky weight they have to put on the wheels when balancing.

FC
12-02-2003, 03:29 PM
They charge for each little metal sticky weight they have to put on the wheels when balancing.

Doh! I should have thought of that. Still, not bad. Thanks.

lemming
12-02-2003, 09:26 PM
can't beat that price, mbr.

i use two garages that mainly do porkchops, but they charge a significant amount more than that.

clyde
12-02-2003, 10:06 PM
can't beat that price, mbr.

i use two garages that mainly do porkchops, but they charge a significant amount more than that.

The local place here is considerably less expensive than that.