PDA

View Full Version : Autox in Feb? Who's up for a road trip?

rumatt
12-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Feb 19th in Ft. Meyers FL. :eeps:

Who's gonna drive down and let me codrive? Swing by south beach and pick me up on the way to the event.

ff
12-02-2005, 12:12 AM
Common down, and drive my S2000 :eeps:

rumatt
12-02-2005, 12:14 AM

DIBS. :lol: :banana:

ff
12-02-2005, 12:22 AM
DIBS. :lol: :banana:

You take the car, I'll stay at south beach and keep watch over the topless models. :D

Seriously, though, it would be cool to finally meet some of you guys in person. If knew that I wouldn't need a new clutch and tires after the session, I'd strongly consider letting someone drive the S.

rumatt
12-02-2005, 12:36 AM
If knew that I wouldn't need a new clutch and tires after the session, I'd strongly consider letting someone drive the S.

Clutch.. not an issue.

Tires.. hmm.. well. no guarantees there. But there's not much point doing a national tour event on street tires anyway.

John V
12-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Bring the 330.

Pick me up on the way.

I'm getting a haircut and will be introducing myself as G.J. Dixon at the event. :D

clyde
12-02-2005, 08:17 AM
Bring the 330.

Pick me up on the way.

I already called dibs on that option.

clyde
12-02-2005, 08:18 AM
Clutch.. not an issue.

There's always the Pro Solo in Miami.

Tires.. hmm.. well. no guarantees there. But there's not much point doing a national tour event on street tires anyway.

Not at all.

John V
12-02-2005, 08:26 AM
I already called dibs on that option.

But he might want his car to have a chance at winning. :mad2:

Andy
12-02-2005, 08:30 AM
2nd dibs. ;)

clyde
12-02-2005, 09:42 AM
But he might want his car to have a chance at winning. :mad2:
exactly my point

rumatt
12-02-2005, 09:54 AM
But he might want his car to have a chance at winning.exactly my point

:bustingup You guys have clearly spent too much time together.

Not at all.

Huh?

Nick M3
12-02-2005, 09:58 AM
:bustingup You guys have clearly spent too much time together.

Huh?
Let's not think too hard on that point.

clyde
12-02-2005, 10:09 AM
Huh?

Was just saying that based on experience, it's not so fun to travel so far if you're going to drive a car that's no where close to being competitive. While it was fun schooling Stuka in San Diego last March, I'm not sure that I'd do it again that way. If I can't find a competitive ride out there next spring, I might not bother making the trip.

rumatt
12-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Was just saying that based on experience, it's not so fun to travel so far if you're going to drive a car that's no where close to being competitive. While it was fun schooling Stuka in San Diego last March, I'm not sure that I'd do it again that way. If I can't find a competitive ride out there next spring, I might not bother making the trip.

Got it... and yeah, I agree.

Rob
12-02-2005, 12:28 PM

Bah. Coming to San Diego is ALWAYS worth the trip. I am sure we can find something competitive for you to drive. The V is still stock. Would that help? The tires will be replaced before March though and I wasn't planning on putting the oems back on ($325 each!).

John V
12-02-2005, 12:44 PM
Bah. Coming to San Diego is ALWAYS worth the trip. I am sure we can find something competitive for you to drive. The V is still stock. Would that help? The tires will be replaced before March though and I wasn't planning on putting the oems back on ($325 each!).

I hear the Kumho V710 is a wicked-good street tire. If you mount up a set of those, I'm in! :D

rumatt
12-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Bring the 330.

Pick me up on the way.

If you guys both want to go, why not go with the RX8?

JST
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I hear the Kumho V710 is a wicked-good street tire. If you mount up a set of those, I'm in! :D

Take some of Nick's tires out as your carry-on baggage.

John V
12-02-2005, 02:07 PM
If you guys both want to go, why not go with the RX8?

I want to go, but I was kidding about driving. IIRC it's around 1000 miles each way.

Ft. Myers was always a highly regarded event. I'm trying to find a fly-in ride for it, but I doubt I'll find anything.

Rob
12-02-2005, 02:23 PM

They don't come in the right size. How far can you deviate before you get out of stock class? :p

The closest Khumo size is 245/35WR18. The stock size is 245/45-18. The stock size is odd b/c the oe tires are runflats, I think. Pretty much sucks.

I would be willing to let you guys run the car with that type of tire on it, but realistically, we would have to find a set of wheels to put them on (you know, so you would survive the trip to the stadium). The wheels are six lug. That makes it pretty tough.

John V
12-02-2005, 02:41 PM
They don't come in the right size. How far can you deviate before you get out of stock class? :p

The closest Khumo size is 245/35WR18. The stock size is 245/45-18. The stock size is odd b/c the oe tires are runflats, I think. Pretty much sucks.

I would be willing to let you guys run the car with that type of tire on it, but realistically, we would have to find a set of wheels to put them on (you know, so you would survive the trip to the stadium). The wheels are six lug. That makes it pretty tough.

Anything that fits on the stock size rims and under the stock bodywork is legal. Tire size is not regulated in stock.

How wide are the wheels? If they're 8.5 inches all around I would definitely try to cram a 285/30/18 V710 underneath that car. :eeps:

clyde
12-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, but then what would we do with those 285s afterwards? :dunno:

We could ship 245s out there for rwg to get mounted on Thursday before the event. We pick up the car on Friday to do the practice course. On Monday, rwg could have the tires dismounted and ship them back to us.

That's not too much to ask, is it? :eeps:

John V
12-02-2005, 02:55 PM
That's not too much to ask, is it? :eeps:

Dream come true. I just thought SOMEone around here had a spare set of 285s. Nick / Bren?

clyde
12-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Dream come true. I just thought SOMEone around here had a spare set of 285s. Nick / Bren?

I forgot about them

Rob
12-02-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't think 285s will fit, but I will check. If you supply the tires and pay for the mounting, I will supply the car and the leg work.

bren
12-02-2005, 03:03 PM
I just thought SOMEone around here had a spare set of 285s. Nick / Bren?
:eeps:

John V
12-02-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't think 285s will fit, but I will check. If you supply the tires and pay for the mounting, I will supply the car and the leg work.

Hell yes I'll pay for the mounting and cost of shipping the tires down. Are you serious? Clyde?

clyde
12-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I will supply the car and the leg work.

Want to get it aligned, too? We'll send you specs. :eeps:

clyde
12-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Hell yes I'll pay for the mounting and cost of shipping the tires down. Are you serious? Clyde?

I'll go over the details with rob when I see him in a couple weeks.

Rob
12-02-2005, 03:26 PM
I almost let Clyde use the car last year and it had less then like 2k miles on it. It's broken in now.

According to the V board and the junkies there, 285s won't work. The wheels are 8.5". 275s will work, but only with spacers on the front. The guy that did it claimed 3mm, but a guy whose word I trust about tires claimed that wouldn't be enough to stop the rubbing. I would rather not hurt the car. I would also think you guys would want a bullet proof system when you showed up, not potential problems.

clyde
12-02-2005, 03:53 PM
I almost let Clyde use the car last year and it had less then like 2k miles on it. It's broken in now.

According to the V board and the junkies there, 285s won't work. The wheels are 8.5". 275s will work, but only with spacers on the front. The guy that did it claimed 3mm, but a guy whose word I trust about tires claimed that wouldn't be enough to stop the rubbing. I would rather not hurt the car. I would also think you guys would want a bullet proof system when you showed up, not potential problems.
rubbing is racing ;)

For some application combinations, you have to test fit yourself to find out for sure, especially if it's something that might even be close to being close. Unless someone's tried it with these specific tires, it's an unknown, regardless of what other people have found with the same sized tires. That said, the 710s are generally wider than other tires of the same section width.

I wouldn't sweat too much on it, though.

clyde
12-02-2005, 08:48 PM
FWIW (http://www.scca.org/garage/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2936&PN=1)

If that's the case re: San Diego date, I probably won't be able to make it.

John V
12-03-2005, 08:40 AM
FWIW (http://www.scca.org/garage/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2936&PN=1)

If that's the case re: San Diego date, I probably won't be able to make it.

Curse you.