PDA

View Full Version : Early Impressions of the new Boxster

Sharp11
01-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Has anyone else formed one yet?

I've seen it on the road here and I've checked out the interior.

I'm not as enamored of the car as I thought I'd be. Apparently it drives great (haven't driven one yet), but to me it's not as pretty on the road as it is in pictures (if that's possible, it's usually the opposite) and it seems too overdone for a small two-seater. I think they've taken it a bit too far up-market.

There's no handbrake (it's electric now) and it's ridiculously pricey - and the interior, while nicely done, just doesn't seem sporty to me, it seems like a mini Bentley - more like a cruiser than a sports car.

The thing starts at over 50 k, and can get into the 90k range, typical S options will put it in the 70's :yikes: (according to Motorweek).

I'm sure it's a great car under the skin, but I bet they sell a lot of automatics.

My personal view is two-seaters should be less like this and more spartan, simpler with less fussy appointments.

But, that's me. ;) It'll be a long, long time before one falls into my price range anyway, so I'm happy for now not "liking it" . :)

equ
01-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I think the new cayman is not as good looking as the one I'm selling.

ZBB
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I've seen a few on the road, but haven't stopped in to look at one do a test drive. My '08 987S is due for service sometime next week, so will sit in one when at the dealership. Looks better in person than it did in the photos (either that or its grown on me).

Price wise, its not really a huge bump from the 987. My car stickered just under $70k in '08 -- and its a mid-optioned S...

JST
01-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes, various people have posted impressions. I test drove one, briefly. The styling seems to appeal to a number of the folks on this board, but I'm not a fan of it. It's OK but kind of comically large and bloated. It needs 20" wheels to look right, which I think is goofy.

The interior is nice enough, and frankly I prefer the sea of buttons to a one-knob-does-everything interface. But I don't love the electric handbrake or the overall shape of the cockpit. Inside, it feels both a lot bigger and simultaneously more cramped than the 987.

All of that coupled with the change to the brake calipers that makes pad swaps harder means that I am in no hurry to buy one.

John V
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
I've seen only one on the road (okay, stationary in a parking lot).

I love it. I thought the 987 was a big leap forward over the 986, and this is not as big of a leap but it's gorgeous. They fixed my main complaint, that being the poorly integrated engine air intakes on the 987. I like the Carrera GT-ness of it. It looks like they reduced the overhangs as well (not sure if that's the case or if it's just a function of the more rounded front and back ends). It looks a little less spaceship-like as well, if that makes sense. I haven't found any of my car-loving friends outside of this place who find the 987 to be preferable in any way.

The interior is gorgeous. The 987 interior always struck me as a little plain looking and the 981 looks to have better integrated switchgear and a more cohesive design theme.

From what I've heard the car drives as well as the 987 but has lost a little of its visceral nature. Not shocking - the 986 was a pretty raw car when driven back to back with the 987 and the 981 will feel the same way. This is the price we pay for refinement I guess? The 987 was overall a better car than the 986 - better brakes, more power, more refined, better handling - even if it was a little less playful.

I haven't driven one and I won't drive one until I have a shot at affording one. That said, these are not cars that people like me buy new; it's above my pay grade. In a couple years I suspect the later 987S cars will be pretty affordable and will be a good bridge to 981 ownership. I don't think the car has moved significantly up-market - these have always been absurdly expensive cars.

bren
01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
The styling seems to appeal to a number of the folks on this board, but I'm not a fan of it.
Hmm, notice a pattern? :D

JST
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Hmm, notice a pattern? :D

Yes. The world has bad taste. If you doubt this, spend some time listening to pop radio. Pitbull sells a lot of records...

John V
01-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Yes. The world has bad taste. If you doubt this, spend some time listening to pop radio. Pitbull sells a lot of records...

Right. It's FAR more likely that EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD is crazy and you're the only normal one. :D

ZBB
01-08-2013, 03:57 PM
They fixed my main complaint, that being the poorly integrated engine air intakes on the 987.

Its not like I didn't like the 987 air intakes.

But the 981 design makes the 987's design look dated. Too small and tacked on, vs well integrated.

Fortunately the 981 is too expensive for me to even consider upgrading at this point. Maybe in a couple years when its time to replace the '08...

JST
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Right. It's FAR more likely that EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD is crazy and you're the only normal one. :D

Taylor Swift's 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together' Could Set Chart Records
Kiss-off single is on track to move as many as 500,000 downloads.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1691809/taylor-swift-we-are-never-ever-getting-back-together-records.jhtml

Though I will say I don't really disagree that the 981 is a nice looking car (except for the weird, thyroid-condition bulgy headlamps). And the side intakes are a lot better executed than the 987. And it does make the 987 look dated. But I prefer the simpler, more classic look of the 987 (especially with regards to the interior). The 981 is just a bit overwrought for my tastes.

John V
01-08-2013, 05:23 PM
It may be that. Or it may be that you are delusional because you own a 987. :stickpoke:

JST
01-08-2013, 05:32 PM
It may be that. Or it may be that you are delusional because you own a 987. :stickpoke:

Or perhaps I own a 987 because I am delusional. :eeps:

It really seems like that as cars have gotten bigger, their styling has gotten more baroque. BMW is the worst example of this, but it's happening all over the place.

I am starting to think that 2005 might have been the high water mark for tasteful, somewhat restrained vehicle design. The final year of the E46, the tail-end of the Bauhaus inspired Audi design language, the 987 and 997...

Hmm. I'll have to develop this theory a bit more.

John V
01-08-2013, 05:41 PM
You like what you have. It's natural. I do the same thing.

I used to love the e36 and hate the e46. Now the e36 looks dated but the e90 looks misshapen. I'm sure it's just personal bias.

One thing we can all agree on: those first gen z4s were really busted looking.

ZBB
01-08-2013, 06:26 PM
One thing we can all agree on: those first gen z4s were really busted looking.

Overall, definitely.

But I really did like the long line that started at the headlights and went back, dipping down towards the back of the door, then arching back to the tail lights.

Too bad that was the only good line on the entire car...

Sharp11
01-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Overall, definitely.

But I really did like the long line that started at the headlights and went back, dipping down towards the back of the door, then arching back to the tail lights.

Too bad that was the only good line on the entire car...

I think the Z4 V1 shape is wearing well, actually ... ;)

Rob
01-11-2013, 12:36 AM
The marketing material for the new boxster is pretty exceptional. It's a little ridiculous, but it was enough so that my brother (a Cayman owner) sent it to me along with a box of holiday stuff for the kids so I could see it. Bound books and packaging that looks like it was designed by Apple.

Way out of my league for a two seater. My CPO z4 was about 1/3 what these wil go for in the next couple of years.