PDA

View Full Version : Getting new tires tomorrow

clyde
11-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Just got off the phone with Radial Tire (local place). I'm going to drop off the wheels tomorrow morning and pick up in the afternoon or sometime next week (if I get lazy). I'm going to put new Goodyear Eagle RS-As back on the wagon. They were awesome in the snow last winter with next to no tread. Since my wife is driving the car now, the crappy dry performance isn't an issue. Paul's quote beat TireRack by about $20/tire. Debating whether to buy four and get the $50 mail in rebate from Goodyear and keep a full tread tire as the spare or go cheap by buying three, putting the full size spare into use and using the tire with the most tread as the spare.

bren
11-28-2003, 12:00 PM
If you already have a tire with a decent amount of tread remaining I think it makes sense to use that as a spare. Unless that $50 rebate covers a large enough portion of the cost of a new tire.

I was thinking of going with all-seasons myself. I am leaning towards the P-Zero Nero m+s, since the Pilot Sport m+s are so pricey.

TD
11-28-2003, 12:09 PM
If you already have a tire with a decent amount of tread remaining I think it makes sense to use that as a spare. Unless that $50 rebate covers a large enough portion of the cost of a new tire.

I was thinking of going with all-seasons myself. I am leaning towards the P-Zero Nero m+s, since the Pilot Sport m+s are so pricey.

I was thinking of putting the P-Zero Nero M+S on the family truckster soon.

If you get them, PLEASE post your impressions ASAP.

lemming
11-28-2003, 12:21 PM

I was thinking of putting the P-Zero Nero M+S on the family truckster soon.

oh, this one is easy.

i have 'em (225/40/18s) as my "winter wheel/tire setup" on the STi.

pretty soft sidewall. great rain grip. decent slush/light snow grip. very progressive at the limit in a way that is much more enjoyable than my OEM summers, the RE070s. i really like these tires and i'm likely to get the straight up PZeroNero's for summer.

the one thing that i like about them is that are light and i can feel this moving and stopping, but they don't have that warm up period during cold weather where the tires seem out of round or cranky and no grip.

pretty stable at 110mph in a light rain coming into work today.

The HACK
11-29-2003, 10:17 AM
i really like these tires and i'm likely to get the straight up PZeroNero's for summer.

Maybe I'm spoiled by the S-03s and the lack of weather down here in So. Cal, but I'm not THAT impressed with the NEROs. Mainly the softer sidewalls. I drove my wife's car yesterday shod with my old S-03s and that was a big reminder to me how much better the S-03s griped all around.

The only downside to the S-03s is that it's really heavy. I may try Goodyear GS-D3s (the GS-D2s on ptg05m3's car really impressed me) on my car and the Toyo Proxes T1-S on the Z4.

lemming
11-29-2003, 01:19 PM
i really like these tires and i'm likely to get the straight up PZeroNero's for summer.

Maybe I'm spoiled by the S-03s and the lack of weather down here in So. Cal, but I'm not THAT impressed with the NEROs. Mainly the softer sidewalls. I drove my wife's car yesterday shod with my old S-03s and that was a big reminder to me how much better the S-03s griped all around.

The only downside to the S-03s is that it's really heavy. I may try Goodyear GS-D3s (the GS-D2s on ptg05m3's car really impressed me) on my car and the Toyo Proxes T1-S on the Z4.

yep. s03s are too heavy for my taste.

i've gone the other direction from just having cars shod with s03s; they are, like all street tires, a compromise so i have given up, got street tires and spare wheels with track compounds.

HACK: (edit) the toyo's are super light...i really like those tires.

bren
11-29-2003, 01:35 PM

I still can't make up my mind whether to buy tires now or wait. The OE tires still have a bit of tread left but they are worthless in the cold/rain/snow. Besides at the rate my wife is Christmas shopping I don't know that I will get them until after the holiday anyway. Also it looks like I may be buying a set of autox wheels/tires a little sooner than I expected which blows my tire budget. I sure hope we have a mild winter this year....