PDA

View Full Version : e60 m5 touring. TD's ship has come in. finally.

lemming
11-08-2005, 08:54 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103566

i think it's really cool.

blee
11-08-2005, 09:11 PM
That looks really good. :)

TD
11-08-2005, 10:35 PM
As if...

Doug
11-08-2005, 10:52 PM
$90K? more?

rumatt
11-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Awesome. A Porsche Cayenne for liberals.

John V
11-09-2005, 07:09 AM
Awesome. A Porsche Cayenne for liberals.

:lol: Now I have to get a towel to clean up all this coffee. :lol:

I actually think that car looks really good! :)

Nick M3
11-09-2005, 09:12 AM
:lol: Now I have to get a towel to clean up all this coffee. :lol:

I actually think that car looks really good! :)
Can you imagine how good the "You just got beat by a wagon :p" sticker would look on that thing?

JST
11-09-2005, 09:19 AM
As long as you can get it with a clutch, I want one.

rumatt
11-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't the appeal?

Seriously. A Porsche Cayenne is a appalling and disgusting, but this frankenwagen is a gift from god?

Yes there are differences (you don't need to remind me that the Cayenne is jacked up) but both are are a bizarre combination of a ridiculously fast car together with a kind of utility vehicle.

I see no appeal to either vehicle. In fact, I may pick the Porsche. If I'm gonna be a posuer soccer dad, I might as well do it right.

blee
11-09-2005, 09:42 AM

Seriously. A Porsche Cayenne is a appalling and disgusting, but this frankenwagen is a gift from god?

Yes there are differences (you don't need to remind me that the Cayenne is jacked up) but both are are a bizarre combination of a ridiculously fast car together with a kind of utility vehicle.

I see no appeal to either vehicle. In fact, I may pick the Porsche. If I'm gonna be a posuer soccer dad, I might as well do it right.
I never said the Cayenne was appalling.

But I think most people get riled up about vehicles like the Cayenne trying to cash in on the SUV craze when almost none of them will ever see so much as a dirt road. Wagons are road cars and don't pretend to be trailworthy; at the same time, it's been shown multiple times that the E39 wagon actually has more storage space than the X5, making it more sporty and more utilitarian. That's why you'll find carmudgeonly types lusting after wagons and sneering at the _UVs.

ff
11-09-2005, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't really even consider it a utility vehicle. I still contend that the wagon doesn't really add any real, usable interior space to the car. Certainly not enough to give it "utility" status.

it's been shown multiple times that the E39 wagon actually has more storage space than the X5

Even an Accord has more storage space than the X5...

dan
11-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I still contend that the wagon doesn't really add any real, usable interior space to the car

there you go again with your opinions in the face of actual evidence to the contrary :D

blee
11-09-2005, 09:52 AM
I wouldn't really even consider it a utility vehicle. I still contend that the wagon doesn't really add any real, usable interior space to the car. Certainly not enough to give it "utility" status.

Even an Accord has more storage space than the X5...
Having used a wagon multiple times to move substantial cargo, I would vehemently disagree.

...although, if one had multiple children and was faced with carting them around with many friends and equipment, perhaps a minivan would be a better choice.

ff
11-09-2005, 09:56 AM
there you go again with your opinions in the face of actual evidence to the contrary :D

I didn't see any evidence :toetap:

John V
11-09-2005, 10:12 AM

A hyperformance wagon doesn't really appeal to me either. I just think the styling of the wagon works whereas the standard 5-series sedans look like poo.

FC
11-09-2005, 11:01 AM
A hyperformance wagon doesn't really appeal to me either. I just think the styling of the wagon works whereas the standard 5-series sedans look like poo.

I agree. If you must have just ONE vehicle, and have a family, then maybe I can see it.

I rather have my wagon have long cruising ranges and decent low end torque. Can you say E-Wagon CDI? ...sigh.:(

(...I know, I know, it's a slushie.:rolleyes: ...and it isn't even available:irate:)

Rob
11-09-2005, 12:04 PM

Dude, we have to have a station wagon or something with like capacity b/c of the dogs that sometimes come on trips with us. So put yourself in the "we have to have a wagon, minivan or SUV in the driveway" mindset. Now, which one to choose?

What's not to like about an M5 wagon? Talk about sleeper.

ff, I am happy to see that you remain completely nuts. :)

clyde
11-09-2005, 12:13 PM
I didn't see any evidence :toetap:
There are many things that I've put in my wagon that never would have fit in an E46 sedan or coupe.

wdc330i
11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
There are many things that I've put in my wagon that never would have fit in an E46 sedan or coupe.

Ditto. I have a 3 wagon and a 3 sedan. I speak from precise experience.

Plaz
11-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Ditto. I have a 3 wagon and a 3 sedan. I speak from precise experience.

Here too.

Melissa
11-09-2005, 01:23 PM
I showed the link to Jake and said that maybe if we sell Alien Baby we could afford it. Of course, he had to point out that if we sell Alien Baby, a wagon or larger vehicle someday wouldn't even be necessary. Technicalities. :ack: :lol:

Anyway, I like the looks and would much rather have a wagon over an SUV. However, when it comes down to it, cargo space is what will count when we move back to the lower 48 and if we find ourselves needing a second vehicle.
Doesn't mean we won't find ourselves a nice sedan that will fit, but if the decision comes down to SUV vs. wagon, the space will matter most.

TD
11-09-2005, 01:31 PM
I never said the Cayenne was appalling.

But I think most people get riled up about vehicles like the Cayenne trying to cash in on the SUV craze when almost none of them will ever see so much as a dirt road. Wagons are road cars and don't pretend to be trailworthy; at the same time, it's been shown multiple times that the E39 wagon actually has more storage space than the X5, making it more sporty and more utilitarian. That's why you'll find carmudgeonly types lusting after wagons and sneering at the _UVs.

EXACTLY.

However, while the spec sheet here (aassuming there's a true stick/clutch pedal available) is truly lust-worthy, I still am repulsed by the E60 styling. And the price is, for me, an insurmountable barrier to entry.

Put all that hardware in an E39 body and I might consider mortgaging my soul. But as is, it's easy for me to not be tempted.

ARCHER
11-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Take away the luxury of folding the rear seats forward, due to child seats, I still contend that the 330i had more "usable" cargo space than the X5 does. It is a vehicle with no purpose, on-road or off.

lemming
11-09-2005, 09:14 PM
i don't really see this car as anything different from the cayenne turbo S because both represent ridiculous amounts of power (same HP, no?) in a decidedly non-sports car platform.

they both probably get the same mileage and they're probably cross-shopped by the same set of people.

the wagon is still cooler, though. mainly because it doesn't share a platform with a VAG product (1), it's about 1000 pounds lighter (2), and you can get it in a manual (3).

rumatt
11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
the Cayenne trying to cash in on the SUV craze when almost none of them will ever see so much as a dirt road.

And the M5 is cashing in on the "race car" craze when almost none of them will see a track.

I maintain that the Cayenne and this wagon are incredible parallels, and any hair splitting to justify that one is OK, and one is for lemmings is blatant rationalization.

lemming
11-09-2005, 10:39 PM
And the M5 is cashing in on the "race car" craze when almost none of them will see a track.

I maintain that the Cayenne and this wagon are incredible parallels, and any hair splitting to justify that one is OK, and one is for lemmings is blatant rationalization.

no, no.

agreed.

Nick M3
11-09-2005, 11:11 PM
no, no.

agreed.
If I ever bought one, the first thing I'd have to track it. :eeps: