PDA

View Full Version : Finished up the first half of BMW courses

Jason C
10-24-2005, 06:19 PM
It's been a fun (though busy) commitment.

The facility:

It's cramped as hell. On a regular basis, we squeeze 17 cars in a space meant for maybe 4-8. Parking at the end of the day can get quite *creative*. PDC, as well as a spotter comes in handy. But it's very very clean, organized, and overall well maintained. There's lots of computers off to the side, about 10 with internet access (for TIS/Centernet useage, mostly). We have 2 DISplus machines and 2 GT1s, although we can sometimes pull a third GT1 from dealer training. There's also 4 big toolboxes on our side, all well stocked with Snapon/Bluepoint/other stuff, like Vantage DSOs and some BMW Special tools. Most of the BMW Special Tools are up on the wall as some of you may recall from photos posted.

On the little workbenches under the tools hanging on the wall, there's an abundance of battery chargers, some Snapon but mostly BMW, latter consisting of older style as well as a couple of the newest Deutronic chargers. Plenty of nice magnetized fender covers with the roundel too.

The complaints about the slow DIS/GT1 loadtimes has been more than verified. BMW should just issue an SIB and get some new processors (or whatever the hell they need) to speed up the operation of these computers. It's costing a lot of downtime.

Cars:

I have to say, my overall impression of some of the cars (especially the newer ones) have been more favorable as of late. Some of the styling details will always be crass to me, such as the 60s headlights or the 83 overall. But I'm mostly past the "wouldn't-be-seen-in-one" stance. The 64 (that would be 645Ci convertible to you) was said by C&D to be a rich mans IROC vert, a description that I found apt. It sounds like it, is bulky on the outside and small on the inside. Sadly, I have noticed that some of the complaints about electronic throttle weren't just talk. It's quite noticeable to me when a third of an inch of foot movement doesn't even disturb the tach.

Some of the cars we have:

38 750iL (going away soon, what's taking its place? E60 M5?)
36/7 Z3, the yellow car
39 540i touring, M5
46 330Ci convertible, 325Xi touring, M3 cab SMG
53 X5 4.4, 4.8is (the latter supposedly has an S54-like problem with spun bearings)
60 525i, 530i SMG, 530i sport, 550i
61 530i 6-speed
64 645Ci convertible
66 745Li, 760Li
83 X3 2.5, 3.0
85 Z4 (the one with a nice dent in the front left panel, a close encounter with a yellow pole)
Assorted 90/91, mostly dealer side.

That's more than 17 cars, but they rotate cars back and forth between dealer and STEP. Of course dealer training usually gets the newer stuff first.

Classes:

I don't think it is quite rocket science, but then again this is quite basic so far - relatively speaking. Some of the classes we don't get (Body Electronics II and III) are way the hell out there.

So far we've had 50 (Intro BMWs) 51 (Basic Electricity) and 406 (Coding & Programming). I'm actually going to be starting 55 (Engine Electronics) today.

The class keeps you quite busy, a workshop objectives completion of 100% and SIP completion is required for any one class before awarding any training pass will be even considered. SIPs btw are the CD-based training that supplements the class material.

Overall, I've done more than I thought I would these last few weeks - window regulator on a 46 and a 39, DME 134 pinout, convertible top emergency close on a few cars, RPS deployment on a 46 vert, and various other tasks. Some more mundane, like looking up shit on TIS/Centernet, and ETM schematics. The STEP guys are doing stuff like MOST BUS ringbreak on the 61 and 64, which is way the fuck beyond us. Overall about 100 or so tasks. Has it already been a month and a half? Feels like a very long week.

I'll upload some of the old pics to this thread, when I get around to it. I would have some very nice photos by now if ayn ever gets away from work long enough to visit. :toetap: ;)

bren
10-24-2005, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun.

blee
10-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Good stuff, man. It sounds like you're enjoying this stuff, which is the most important part.

BTW: I've done two 46 regulators now. Didn't even need to go to school to learn that one. :neener:

rumatt
10-24-2005, 07:53 PM
The STEP guys are doing stuff like MOST BUS ringbreak on the 61 and 64,

:scratch:

Jason C
10-25-2005, 02:15 AM
:scratch:

MOST stands for Media Oriented Systems Transport. It's the bus system that handles the bulk of the high-demand entertainment system modules, like Logic7, ASK, Navi, and so forth. Unlike byteflight, MOST (IIRC on the 60/61/63/64/65/66) is a ring-structure bus line, which means that data is only transfered in one direction. There are two fiber-optics line per module, one receiving and one transmitting. This is in contrast to the star-bus byteflight (which handles MRS systems) that transmits data in two directions. There is only one fiber-optics line with each byteflight satellite module.

As for what a ring break actually is, I haven't actually pulled any MOST components from a car before (or sat through a class) so I'll just pull some text from the 65 book:

Ring Break Diagnosis
When a defect occurs between two controllers, communication on the MOST is interrupted. This is referred to as a “Ring break”. With a ring break three patterns indicating defects can occur:

• Defective control unit transmission diode,
• Defective control unit receiver diode,
• Defective fiber-optic cables.

These defects can also occur in combination. With a possible ring break, the first two controllers must be found, between those the ring break is present. This is determined with the help of the ring break Test Module in the Diagnosis Program of the DISplus/GT-1. To clearly locate the ring break, examination with the fiber-optic cable testing set (OPPS) must be performed.

I hope that clarifies the subject. ;)

Good stuff, man. It sounds like you're enjoying this stuff, which is the most important part.

BTW: I've done two 46 regulators now. Didn't even need to go to school to learn that one. :neener:

But your regulator jobs would probably result in a comeback. :flipoff: :p

bren
10-25-2005, 08:44 AM
But your regulator jobs would probably result in a comeback.
Ah, I see they are already teaching the most important aspect of being a dealer tech. :rolleyes: :mad2:

Jason C
10-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Ah, I see they are already teaching the most important aspect of being a dealer tech. :rolleyes: :mad2:

Gotta love them CSIs. :ack:

blee
10-25-2005, 01:17 PM
But your regulator jobs would probably result in a comeback. :flipoff: :p

Ain't nobody came back yet! :D Heck, I even washed the dude's car afterwards. With Zaino.

(...of course, part of that motivation was to make sure that the weatherproofing foamy stuff hadn't failed on me...)

robg
11-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Funny that window regs on the e39 and 46 would get included in your tasks. Sounds kind of random, unless BMW is fully aware of that their regulator design is a true POS. Curious- did the instructors give any hint when they assigned that task as to what BMW thinks of this particular piece of fine engineering? I still don't understand why they just don't re-design these things.

Jason C
11-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Funny that window regs on the e39 and 46 would get included in your tasks. Sounds kind of random, unless BMW is fully aware of that their regulator design is a true POS. Curious- did the instructors give any hint when they assigned that task as to what BMW thinks of this particular piece of fine engineering? I still don't understand why they just don't re-design these things.

:dunno:

The material and workshop tasks cover a lot of things, from Vanos R&R to MOST Bus ringbreak. But there will be certain areas emphasized by instructors, based mostly on SIBs and recalls. Seat heaters and occupancy sensors were (and probably still are) issues, along with window regulators. The latest and greatest is the Bremi pencil-type coils, of which there is a voluntary BMW campaign. Should have stuck with Bosch! I'm sure I'll do a lot of those in the future. I hear that the next big thing is unusual Valvetronic lobe wear on the NG V-8s, that'll be interesting.

One more thing - course tasksheets are made with input from instructors, but also with a lot of input from corporate up in NJ. So obviously BMWNA has a lot of say as to the areas that they feel are important and relevant for techs to know.