PDA

View Full Version : Somebody stop me. (must...not...buy....CSL...rims....)

Pike
11-26-2003, 03:06 AM
Of all the mods I could choose from, why am I becoming obsessed with the M3 CSL rims? Talk about least bang for the buck! Yet I actually looked for them online today and even called Bekker's, but thank God they were closed for the day. Whew.

:cry:

JST
11-26-2003, 07:11 AM
Of all the mods I could choose from, why am I becoming obsessed with the M3 CSL rims? Talk about least bang for the buck! Yet I actually looked for them online today and even called Bekker's, but thank God they were closed for the day. Whew.

Dude, tell me about it. The idea of dropping $3K on wheels, plus another grand on tires, is absolutely stupid.

But they look...so...much...better...

ZHPhil
11-26-2003, 08:08 AM

Dude, tell me about it. The idea of dropping $3K on wheels, plus another grand on tires, is absolutely stupid.

But they look...so...much...better...

Cone on what's $4k for that much of a :cool: factor ;)

bren
11-26-2003, 09:10 AM
Wheels do have great resale value :P

clyde
11-26-2003, 10:52 AM

Still interested in the OZ Superlegerras? :?:

Doug
11-26-2003, 11:01 AM
Get some BBSs, they're lighter and still look sweet.

Pike
11-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I've been looking at BBS wheels. I only like the ones with spokes which are flush to the lip. Maybe CH. I wonder why I like flush spokes? Oh wait, I remember: because they look a little more like the CSL wheels! ;)

Sure, I could get a set of CH's with rubber for about the same price as CSL rims alone. But still, not really the best bang for the buck mod for the car. But if I'm really going to do something stupid like get showy 19" rims, I'm not going to go half-way. It's CSL or bust, baby.

I think what stops me is thinking about the electronics/stereo equipment I could buy with the same $$$. That gives me pause for thought.

dan
11-26-2003, 11:40 AM
email chuckd@roadfly.org and get the info on the replicas being built. They are lighter and stronger than the actual CSL wheels.

Preorders are being taken now.

Doug
11-26-2003, 11:48 AM
CHs are heavy

Pike
11-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Just checked the thread on that. Looks like TODAY is the drop-dead date for ordering. I guess it's a real leap of faith ordering wheels no one has ever seen, and which have admitted differences to the CSL wheels (yes, I know, but lighter and stronger....). Hmmm....

Masskrug
11-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Just checked the thread on that. Looks like TODAY is the drop-dead date for ordering. I guess it's a real leap of faith ordering wheels no one has ever seen, and which have admitted differences to the CSL wheels (yes, I know, but lighter and stronger....). Hmmm....

You KNOW you want them....

(heheheheheh)

bren
11-26-2003, 12:56 PM

Still interested in the OZ Superlegerras? :?:
You've got mail....and never mind what I said above, used wheels are worthless :twisted:

dan
11-30-2003, 09:29 PM
sexy...

http://home.comcast.net/~rt1121/Roadfly.jpg

Mr Paddle.Shift
12-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Rather than starting a new thread....here's the CSL parts acquisition story from my side.

I started ordering the CSL parts (1 set of everything) for the fun of it to test my supplier's competence since May 2003 once I acquired the 04/2003 ETK. Since CSL production starts in Week 27, most of my order were put on hold. Back then, the parts that required a chassis number were just the CSL wheels.

Then came June/July, Bekkers advertised in Bimmer and Roundel magazine that they have the CSL wheels in stock. Fact is, they only had one set. BMWNA did see the ad. They did. A notice was sent to BMWAG to look into the release of the wheels. Shortly after sometime in late July and early August, folks from some M3 boards got hold of the CSL wheels part numbers and flooded their local US BMW dealers' part departments with the orders. BMWNA again issued another note to all US dealers to restrict the sales of the CSL wheels in the US and to term the wheels as "DOT illegal".

During that time, Bekkers claimed to get one piece of CSL bumper and one piece of CSL trunklid. Til today, I am still not sure who bought them. There is always a possibility that the buyer does not hang out on forums, hence no pictures were seen. BMW AG soon investigated the sales. Sometime in mid-August, BMW AG restricted the CSL bumper, CSL diffuser with a valid chassis number. Around this time, the, the only CSL parts in stock are the emblems, door sill bits, 6 trunk lids and tons of CSL wheels at BMW AG. However, some folks in the US were still able to place orders for the CSL trunklids. Interestingly enough, a couple of CSL trunk lids arrived in the US. Soon after, more orders of the trunklids have been placed. This alerted both BMWNA and BMW AG and they acted quickly to stop the release of the trunklids. As of today, BMW AG has "zero" CSL trunk lids in stock. Zero? Perhaps zero for US parts dealer system.

However, the chassis number requirement didn't stop some people from getting the wheels (which are still in stock til this day). From what I see, getting the wheels through the CSL VIN is stealing. Period. Since May 2003, I have imported, 2 CSL wheels, 2 CSL door sills, 2 side grills, 1 CSL trunklid and 1 set of interior CSL door trims. And all of them came through WITHOUT using a CSL VIN number.

All that being said, personally, I think dealers like Bekkers (who advertised CSL parts shamelessly) and desparate M3 owners who abuse CSL VIN totally spoilt the market for the rest of the people. Not to forget KHY Motorsports who, like Bekkers, blatantly advertised all over that one forum about their CSL parts acquisition. Sure, they promise to deliver more CSL parts. But that isn't going to happen.

Right now, all CSL parts required CSL VIN. And CSL wheels require VIN and customer's signature. Verification of customer's signature and ownership of CSL is required.