PDA

View Full Version : Clutch?

zach
09-26-2005, 09:00 PM
I think the clutch on the M3 has about had it (102k on the original clutch). The reason I say this is that the engagement point is REALLY high. I don't feel any slipping.

Bentley manual:

"THe clutch is hydraulically actuated by the master and slave cylinders. Clutch disc wear is automatically taken up by the pushrod travel of the slave cylinder, making periodic ajustments unnecessary.

A soft or spongy feel to the clutch pedal, long pedal freeplay, or grinding noises from the gears while shifting can all indicate problems with the clutch hydraulics. In these circumstances it is best to start with a clutch fluid flush, followed, if necessary, by replacement of the hydraulic parts."

At any rate, if I DO have to replace it, should I put a lightweight flywheel in? TD, I know you've done this. Would you do it again? Does it make a noticeable difference?

TIA, as usual. :)

rumatt
09-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Time to junk the car.

operknockity
09-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Time to junk the car. :lol: :lol:

JST
09-26-2005, 09:22 PM
I think the clutch on the M3 has about had it (102k on the original clutch). The reason I say this is that the engagement point is REALLY high. I don't feel any slipping.

Bentley manual:

"THe clutch is hydraulically actuated by the master and slave cylinders. Clutch disc wear is automatically taken up by the pushrod travel of the slave cylinder, making periodic ajustments unnecessary.

A soft or spongy feel to the clutch pedal, long pedal freeplay, or grinding noises from the gears while shifting can all indicate problems with the clutch hydraulics. In these circumstances it is best to start with a clutch fluid flush, followed, if necessary, by replacement of the hydraulic parts."

At any rate, if I DO have to replace it, should I put a lightweight flywheel in? TD, I know you've done this. Would you do it again? Does it make a noticeable difference?

TIA, as usual. :)

Having driven TD's car, all I can say is that if you've got the engine apart, PUT IN THE UUC flywheel and M5 clutch disc. It really wakes the car up, and the marginal cost over the OEM parts isn't that high.

TD
09-26-2005, 10:19 PM
And my only caveat is don't if you are sensitive to the noises your car makes. From time to time (and it's actually quite inconsistent) it's really pretty loud. And when it's loud, the car sounds like farm equipment. If this would bother you, don't do it.

Otherwise, there is no down side to the mod. I've had it so long that I forget what the car drove like before, but I clearly recall it being a big difference when I got it.

rumatt
09-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Can someone explain the rattle to me? I don't get what causes this.

Found this (http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm). It helps a little. I guess. :speechle:

ff
09-26-2005, 11:06 PM
That's exactly what happened when the clutch went out, after 17k miles, on the "ZHP" that I owned. Almost overnight, the clutch engagement was really high. The early failure turned out to be due to a defective pressure plate, so they were cool about replacing it under warranty.

Rob
09-27-2005, 04:19 AM
102k miles? Wow. Replace it. Use a light flywheel or replace it with stock equipment, but e36 M3 clutches have about a 70k life, I think. Your car will be much more fun to drive once you put some new metal in it.

FC
09-27-2005, 08:28 AM
102k miles? Wow. Replace it. Use a light flywheel or replace it with stock equipment, but e36 M3 clutches have about a 70k life, I think. Your car will be much more fun to drive once you put some new metal in it.

Revs never drop fast enough IMO. Especially on the 1-2 shift. I hate it. I live with it, but given the choice, ANY time a MT car needs a new clutch, I'd put in a LW flywheel.

I expect to pay the 1K for extended maintenance on the 330i. I am guessing at some point in those 100K miles it will need a new clutch. I wonder if they would let me put in a LWFW.

blee
09-27-2005, 10:57 AM
I love lightweight flywheels. The added noise is a non-issue to me, but it is NOT insignificant. (It helped that the car on which I installed the flywheel was so noisy already that a little clutch chatter barely registered on my bleeding eardrums.)

My Focus is fun to drive but the freaking engine just REFUSES to slow down with the clutch disengaged. It takes a little while to build revs, too. The computer has a lot to do with this, of course, but the flywheel is also partly to blame; if I keep this thing long enough to wear out the clutch, I'm putting in a LTW unit.

Nick M3
09-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Personally, in a daily driver, I would absolutely HATE having a LTW flywheel. But that's just me.

Funny that I want a lazy clutch, yet I drive in the city on Motons. :p